November 12, 2018, 11:15:38 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1471241 times)

Offline NedMarcus

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11820 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »
Reading the latest from Terry Brooks, The Skaar Invasion. Brooks rarely disappoints, and this is shaping up to be a cracker of a book.

I've been thinking of reading this one, but waiting for the price to drop to a normal level  :)

Offline Toby Frost

« Reply #11821 on: July 10, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
I'm currently reading Black Man by Richard Morgan (Thirteen in the US). It's very good: so far, it feels like a more violent Blade Runner with less philosophy and more social satire.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Mistborn
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:51 PM »
I've been reading well known fantasy writers who I should have read a long time ago but never did. At the moment I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series (on book three at the moment).

I envy you. I wish I could read Mistborn again for the first time.

I'm enjoying them. Do any of these characters return in other books?

The second Mistborn series is set 300 years after Hero of Ages, but the legacy of the characters is very much felt and talked about. I won't say too much in case you haven't finished book 3 yet, but the others are very much about new characters.

Mistborn: Secret History is a prequel/sequel/sidequel novella that does feature a familiar character, but you may not enjoy it unless you're heavily invested in the inner workings of the Cosmere (like I am).

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11823 on: July 11, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »
I've been reading well known fantasy writers who I should have read a long time ago but never did. At the moment I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series (on book three at the moment).

The second Mistborn series is set 300 years after Hero of Ages, but the legacy of the characters is very much felt and talked about. I won't say too much in case you haven't finished book 3 yet, but the others are very much about new characters.

Mistborn: Secret History is a prequel/sequel/sidequel novella that does feature a familiar character, but you may not enjoy it unless you're heavily invested in the inner workings of the Cosmere (like I am).

I enjoyed both a great deal.

Just bought Anthony Ryan's Legions of Flame, finally Mark's Red Sister (didn't until now because I didn't get the cover I wanted) and Eames' Kings of the Wyld. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11824 on: July 12, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »

I was just thinking about the Wax & Wayne series and you happened to mentioned them. Woo hoo coincidence!  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11825 on: July 12, 2018, 11:04:19 AM »
Now I'm starting Pratchett's Thief of time, one of the books I got in Scotland :D

This is fast (pun intended ;)) becoming one of my favourite Discworld books ;D
@Lady Ty, have you read it? Miss Susan is fabulous!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: July 12, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
Now I'm starting Pratchett's Thief of time, one of the books I got in Scotland :D

This is fast (pun intended ;)) becoming one of my favourite Discworld books ;D
@Lady Ty, have you read it? Miss Susan is fabulous!

Yes I love it  ScarletBea, and definitely a great fan of Miss Susan. Also has another of my special favourite Discworld characters, who turns up all over the place in these books and always busy sweeping up.  ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11827 on: July 12, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
I've just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Easy 5/5.

What a crazy story. Some parts really had me mind boggled. I also loved how exposition here was so well crafted. I could write a few more paragraphs about it, but nah... just gonna grab the sequel right away.

Yeah, The Fall of Hyperion, here I come!

If I had to make a guess about a certain event:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The mystery of the Shrike is a central part of the plot. One line of thinking is that it's a human weapon from the future sent back to prevent the AI domination after it extinguishes humanity. The other line is that it's the Ouster's weapon for the almost the same thing. I couldn't help but notice the only line not even mentioned briefly is that it's actually the AI's weapon sent back and that the AI's actually lost to humanity/ousters and that liberating the thing is actually the AI's very plan to rewrite the future with them as winners, ironically with humans causing their own doom and preventing their own future victory and all their fear of Hyperion actually planned to cause humans to go to it and free the thing thinking it's their salvation.

After all, it's the AIs who control the most advanced technology, including the farcasters. It's mentioned multiple times how the All Thing and everything humans use for prediction (allowed by the AIs) is super rudimentary and that they have far more power in that regard (the Lamia storyline).

So it seems pretty flimsy that humans would develop something as advanced as time travel, the time tombs and the Shrike and send it all back. Much more chance that the AIs built it (it's even said how they know time-space way more than humans think). And since AIs like emotion or maybe the human most perfect part of consciousness, even them might believe it's actually not theirs (since they can't quantify it in their predications) and not even consider it might be theirs. Huh.

I would be mind blown. We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:52:25 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11828 on: July 12, 2018, 10:43:08 PM »
I love Thief of Time. It's one of the best from that Pratchett epoch. ;)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11829 on: July 15, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »
Finished The traitor God. I am impressed.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: July 16, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.  So far it is like a Roland Emmerich screenplay but it makes sense.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11831 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
Finished Red Sister. Really loved it. No idea what bothered so many of you with that book...

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11832 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:18 AM »
Finished Red Sister. Really loved it. No idea what bothered so many of you with that book...
Oh, it's not 'bothered' per se, it is a very good story and of course, very well written - it just feels, how can I put it, more normal? Themes we've read about multiple times?
It's a good book, just not great, on the expectations I had based on his previous books. I guess the problem was the expectation, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11833 on: July 17, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
So the internet is out at my place for at least a week if not two, my back is also out so I'm completely bed-ridden and I'm taking a moment to read PDFs on my phone I never got around to, starting with Tolkien's On Fairy Stories.

He goes on this really interesting rant about the idea that fairies are diminutive, tracing the roots of several ideas.  I found this passage especially interesting: "Fairy, as a noun more or less equivalent to elf, is a relatively modern word, hardly used until
the Tudor period. The first quotation in the Oxford Dictionary (the only one before A.D. 1450) is significant. It is taken from the poet Gower: as he were a faierie. But this Gower did not say. He wrote as he were of faierie, “as if he were come from Faërie.” Gower was describing a young gallant who seeks to bewitch the hearts of the maidens in church.". So, the first recorded instance of the word fairies was of a lecherous dude seducing women, which is hyper-heterosexual, if not hypermasculine.  But today we use it as a pejorative term for gays implying hyperfeminity in dudes.  I thought that was super ineresting

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: July 17, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
Oh, it's not 'bothered' per se, it is a very good story and of course, very well written - it just feels, how can I put it, more normal? Themes we've read about multiple times?
It's a good book, just not great, on the expectations I had based on his previous books. I guess the problem was the expectation, hehe

Entirely what @ScarletBea said. The book is perfectly good, nothing bothered me about it, but because it was written by Mark Lawrence and I absolutely loved the two previous trilogies, Red Sister felt a bit less mind-blowing. My partner ended up loving it and so we got Grey Sister after all, and he loved that as well. I'll probably reread the first one and the following two when the entire trilogy is finally out.

I finished Terry Pratchett's Maskerade (one of the average Discworld books), and will now finally get started with Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness, which I am very excited about.
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns