July 19, 2018, 08:28:55 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1387037 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11700 on: May 13, 2018, 04:18:25 PM »
The Bitter Twins by Jen Williams. Hoping to be done by the next SRFC where Jen is reading. Anyone else coming along? @Peat ?

What date is that?

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: May 13, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
The Bitter Twins by Jen Williams. Hoping to be done by the next SRFC where Jen is reading. Anyone else coming along? @Peat ?

What date is that?

Tuesday 29th May. 

https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2018/05/scott-lynch-and-andrzej-sapkowski-visit-the-uk-this-may/

Den Patrick and Ed McDonald will be there as well. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11702 on: May 13, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
That's a definite maybe. Need to see how viable accommodation and transport are.

Offline Peat

« Reply #11703 on: May 14, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »
Day after a long haul for me, so unlikely to make it. But we'll see.

At the moment I'm doing a re-read of Feist's Midkemia series from Talon of the Silver Hawk onwards aka from where I felt it started to get pretty average.

So far its mainly confirmed my memories, although I might go above average as there's a few good set-pieces, and Exile's Return is actually pretty good in general. Currently on Flight of the Night Hawks which is just dull.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11704 on: May 14, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »
Popping into this thread just briefly to namecheck two books I've really, really enjoyed.

The first is Dragon Road (the sequel to Skyfarer) by Joseph Brassey, which, like, *everyone* should read. Both Skyfarer and Dragon Road are excellent books, so I'd recommend them both, but since Dragon Road came out recently, I'm recommending that here.

Trivia: I wrote a review of Dragon Road for the Fantasy-Hive as well, if you'd like to check out my comments in depth. This isn't an attempt to drive traffic, just offering a window to more detailed thoughts other than "It's awesome! Buy it!" (which is the TL;DR).

The other book I finished this weekend was Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames, which was just great in every respect possible. The premise is that the world is full of monsters, monster hunters are celebrities who form "bands" with names like Saga, Vanguard, and Jain and the Silk Arrows, and these bands "tour" the world fighting monsters on "gigs" provided by "bookers" ... so basically a cross of rock/metal bands, D&D, and every MMORPG ever. The concept works, and it sooo good, ya'll. The writing is absolutely hilarious (I LOL'd multiple times) with a decent bit of heart, and I can't recommend the book enough (it's no surprise that it won an award for best debut fantasy novel).

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11705 on: May 14, 2018, 10:40:37 PM »
Popping into this thread just briefly to namecheck two books I've really, really enjoyed.

The first is Dragon Road (the sequel to Skyfarer) by Joseph Brassey, which, like, *everyone* should read. Both Skyfarer and Dragon Road are excellent books, so I'd recommend them both, but since Dragon Road came out recently, I'm recommending that here.

Trivia: I wrote a review of Dragon Road for the Fantasy-Hive as well, if you'd like to check out my comments in depth. This isn't an attempt to drive traffic, just offering a window to more detailed thoughts other than "It's awesome! Buy it!" (which is the TL;DR).

The other book I finished this weekend was Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames, which was just great in every respect possible. The premise is that the world is full of monsters, monster hunters are celebrities who form "bands" with names like Saga, Vanguard, and Jain and the Silk Arrows, and these bands "tour" the world fighting monsters on "gigs" provided by "bookers" ... so basically a cross of rock/metal bands, D&D, and every MMORPG ever. The concept works, and it sooo good, ya'll. The writing is absolutely hilarious (I LOL'd multiple times) with a decent bit of heart, and I can't recommend the book enough (it's no surprise that it won an award for best debut fantasy novel).
And the great thing is, @tebakutis that the sequel is due out later this year. Hopefully it can live up to its predecessor.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11706 on: May 15, 2018, 04:20:59 AM »
And the great thing is, @tebakutis that the sequel is due out later this year. Hopefully it can live up to its predecessor.

Indeed! I have already pre-ordered.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11707 on: May 15, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
I've finished Deadhouse gates, Malazan book 2 - what an AMAZING book :D
The scope, the plot, the characters, the discoveries and changes...

Detailed comments on the readalong threads.

I've now started reading book 3, Memories of ice - this one's bigger by 200 pages, coming to a total of almost 1200 :o
Guess it'll be another month until I post here again, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11708 on: May 15, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »
Guess it'll be another month until I post here again, hehe
Somehow I don't think so. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #11709 on: May 16, 2018, 01:32:58 AM »
idk if it's me or the books, since I'm 0 for 2 right now (err City of Blades was the first) but Kings of the Wyld... idk.  Stylistically his writing is very good. He knows how to say a lot with things unsaid, evoke subtle emotions... but a lot of it feels sort of... idk too much testosteroney searching for glory by killing things, elements of getting the band together seemed too convenient, the bad wives felt a little two dimensional, the worldbuilding felt a little two dimensional in places as well.  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood or something.

Offline Skip

« Reply #11710 on: May 16, 2018, 03:10:51 AM »
I'm with Bradley. I'm just thoroughly done with the self-consciously clever. Yes, he does it well. It's just not my cup of grog. Give me someone who tries to tell an epic story, even if it comes up short. Maybe satire is a young person's game.
Visit Altearth

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11711 on: May 16, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
Just starting On The Shoulders of Titans, by Andrew Rowe, the sequel to LitRPG genre novel Sufficiently Advanced Magic.

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #11712 on: May 16, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »
Got a library card at my new library, the second largest public library in Illinois behind Chicago Public Library. Despite that, I couldn't find what I wanted, so I picked up Mercedes Lackey's Magic's Pawn.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11713 on: May 16, 2018, 08:01:35 PM »
Got a library card at my new library, the second largest public library in Illinois behind Chicago Public Library. Despite that, I couldn't find what I wanted, so I picked up Mercedes Lackey's Magic's Pawn.

A lot of libraries do interlibrary loan free of charge. You could see if they can get you the books you want.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11714 on: May 17, 2018, 05:18:55 AM »
finished Broken Angels and Snow Crash. Angels is a superb Altered Carbon follow up and apart from a few jarring moments snow crash was great fun. I thoroughly recommend both.