November 16, 2018, 06:17:37 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1473257 times)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11670 on: May 01, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
Is it you or Bea , if there’s an airship in the story you drop it straight away?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11671 on: May 01, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »
Is it you or Bea , if there’s an airship in the story you drop it straight away?
Not me :o
You forgot I loved Ketty Jay :'(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: May 02, 2018, 05:19:32 AM »

Puts hand up.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11673 on: May 02, 2018, 07:36:23 AM »

Puts hand up.

I have an ally now! Getting back on the book, I think I'm going to try to power through it and see if it gets me to the end. The writing is definitely good, that's for sure.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: May 02, 2018, 07:58:41 AM »

Puts hand up.

I have an ally now! Getting back on the book, I think I'm going to try to power through it and see if it gets me to the end. The writing is definitely good, that's for sure.

I began Senlin and got past the airship part although they are not my choice, but only managed a couple more chapters and about one level and then put it on hold. I may try again and good luck to you for sticking on with it Inks. Be interested to hear how you go.  I think ScarletBea enjoyed it.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: May 02, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »
Have 17 hours remaining out of 43 hours total for “Cryptonomicon”.
Brilliant, hysterical, bizarre, sophomoric (at times), and ridiculously obscure.

My kind of book.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11676 on: May 03, 2018, 07:48:37 AM »

Puts hand up.

I began Senlin and got past the airship part although they are not my choice, but only managed a couple more chapters and about one level and then put it on hold. I may try again and good luck to you for sticking on with it Inks. Be interested to hear how you go.  I think ScarletBea enjoyed it.

About that, I kind of went to read Throne of Glass yesterday (well I'm a teenage girl now  ;D), and I'm putting Senlin on hold for the moment. I should be able to get back to reading it sometimes later... hopefully.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11677 on: May 06, 2018, 05:16:43 AM »
Hi people!

You guys have made me miss Dresden and Ketty Jay now. I've been reading a lot of theology stuff lately, and I miss Fantasy. Of course, depending on your point of view theology could be just a different kind of fantasy...

So question. I'm frustrated because I want to start reading some series or continue those I have started, but I don't have much time to invest in a series now. I'm looking for good stand-alone books. Any ideas?

Also, I figured some Discworld would be great to read without having to think too much. a lot of humor with just enough thought-provoking concepts to keep me going. I want to start with Wyrd Sisters, but I'm worried I won't enjoy it because of the Macbeth references. I haven't read or seen the play. Has anyone else enjoyed it without getting the Shakespeare jokes?

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: May 06, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
Hi people!

You guys have made me miss Dresden and Ketty Jay now. I've been reading a lot of theology stuff lately, and I miss Fantasy. Of course, depending on your point of view theology could be just a different kind of fantasy...

So question. I'm frustrated because I want to start reading some series or continue those I have started, but I don't have much time to invest in a series now. I'm looking for good stand-alone books. Any ideas?

Also, I figured some Discworld would be great to read without having to think too much. a lot of humor with just enough thought-provoking concepts to keep me going. I want to start with Wyrd Sisters, but I'm worried I won't enjoy it because of the Macbeth references. I haven't read or seen the play. Has anyone else enjoyed it without getting the Shakespeare jokes?

I read many of the Discworld books as a young pup and lots of the references flew over my head. However I still really enjoyed them and been fun to come back as an adult and get the references. You could just read a summary of Macbeth and that would get you in the know. The jokes are based around the story of Macbeth. Not an intricate understanding of the language and themes.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #11679 on: May 06, 2018, 05:25:52 PM »
Just read The Chronoliths, by  Robert Charles Wilson. Incredible book. A couple of wierd twists in it, though 1) Sue Chopra is has superpowers. She can run a cutting edge physics program, a private spy ring, dally in  politic and still be socially awkward? She has no end to the girlfriends she throws over her shoulder, and has  men doting on her, while she is described as overweight.  ???
Also is it possible for someone who is completely Lesbian (not bi) to be romantically (not sexually) in love with a man? Because that is how I think the MC is involved in this book, even if the author never says so.
Anyway, there is a lot more in this book, and I definitely give it 5 stars, those are just the bits I thought were odd.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11680 on: May 07, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »
I've just finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky and really cannot recommend it enough. Utterly fantastic and awesome in a very literal sense. One of the very best space operas, and books I have ever read.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline DaniMcDani

« Reply #11681 on: May 08, 2018, 06:21:26 AM »
I was halfway through book three of The Broken Empire series, when it came due to go back to the library.  There were holds on it so I had to return it before I could re-order it again.  Well...time went on and I was waiting and waiting but the book did not come in -- I looked it up in the catalog and some fool had taken it out and either lost it or stole it or ruined it because it was no longer in the system!  Completely gone!  No other copies available!  ARGH!   Couldn't read the ending!  So I made a suggestion for purchase to the library --and they did!  It finally arrived last week.  So I just finished Emperor of Thorns and am so glad I made it to the end.  Helluva redemption tale.  Had no idea that was what I was reading all along.  I mean, I was hoping it was a redemption story, but I don't usually get my wishes granted in movies and books...   

Damn! I want more of his terse artistic sentence style!  I don't get off on violent books -- but my mind was blown by his writing style so I kept reading.  In awe of what that man can do with a single brief sentence. 

I read Red Sister, but was surprised that it had none of the same writing style -- it was like it was written by a different person.  Does Prince of Fools have a writing style similar to Broken Empire?     

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11682 on: May 08, 2018, 06:41:52 AM »
Hi people!

Can pretty much pick up any Discworld book and get a laugh out of it. Having read some of the source material can help pick up a few jokes, but Pratchett wrote them to be accessible to all readers.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11683 on: May 08, 2018, 08:00:25 AM »
I was halfway through book three of The Broken Empire series, when it came due to go back to the library.  There were holds on it so I had to return it before I could re-order it again.  Well...time went on and I was waiting and waiting but the book did not come in -- I looked it up in the catalog and some fool had taken it out and either lost it or stole it or ruined it because it was no longer in the system!  Completely gone!  No other copies available!  ARGH!   Couldn't read the ending!  So I made a suggestion for purchase to the library --and they did!  It finally arrived last week.  So I just finished Emperor of Thorns and am so glad I made it to the end.  Helluva redemption tale.  Had no idea that was what I was reading all along.  I mean, I was hoping it was a redemption story, but I don't usually get my wishes granted in movies and books...   

Damn! I want more of his terse artistic sentence style!  I don't get off on violent books -- but my mind was blown by his writing style so I kept reading.  In awe of what that man can do with a single brief sentence. 

I read Red Sister, but was surprised that it had none of the same writing style -- it was like it was written by a different person.  Does Prince of Fools have a writing style similar to Broken Empire?   

Another fan of the Broken Empire series, woo hoo! As for your question, yes, the entire Red Queen's War trilogy is written in a similar style to that of the Broken Empire trilogy. (I've heard that Red Sister is written totally different, haven't checked that out, though)

In fact, Prince of Fools is also set in same world of the Broken Empire. (Remember the Red Queen, whom Jorg met in the third book? I won't spoil any further lol) Although I could guaranteed that the Red Queen's War series had much more emphasis on humour. Jorg would always be my most favorite protagonist, though.  8)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11684 on: May 08, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »
We spend the whole day here: https://www.vabali.de/online/en/ and I managed to read the first 215 pages of City of Miracles. :)

(Linus was away with his kindergarten.)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)