June 16, 2019, 12:20:08 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1653437 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11655 on: April 28, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »
Started Fall of Light by Steven Erikson. Book's weight is approx. 3 kg...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #11656 on: April 28, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
Heavy reading, but fantastic prose.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Bender

« Reply #11657 on: April 28, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
@Bradley Darewood @Alex Hormann

Ghost Story s a unique book from a PoV. Usually we have Dresden jumping into hopeless situations and coming out with a win, but in Ghost Story , though he's the protagonist he has to operate through others. It's like watching an someone describing an action movie. A bit hard to get into and a hard break from previous books. Good news is Cold Night and Skin Games make up for this.

I can't decide if I want JB to write Peace Talks or Aeronauts Windlass book 2.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: April 29, 2018, 01:37:05 AM »
@xiagan I hope you have a lot of spare time on your hand, you'll need it. And don't put your back out trying to lift the thing. ;)

@Bender I actually read Cold Days a few days ago and found it pretty disappointing. I was drawn to the series by the Private Investigator angle, but that's pretty much been phased out in favour of supernatural politics. It still has its moments, but it's not what I signed up for.

Offline Bender

« Reply #11659 on: April 29, 2018, 02:28:14 AM »
@Bender I actually read Cold Days a few days ago and found it pretty disappointing. I was drawn to the series by the Private Investigator angle, but that's pretty much been phased out in favour of supernatural politics. It still has its moments, but it's not what I signed up for.

Fair enough. It's urban 'fantasy' after all  ;D but yeah I agree, he doesn't really do much investigating.

Have you read Divine Cities trilogy? Probably more to your liking...

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11660 on: April 29, 2018, 04:30:27 AM »
@Bradley Darewood @Alex Hormann

Ghost Story s a unique book from a PoV. Usually we have Dresden jumping into hopeless situations and coming out with a win, but in Ghost Story , though he's the protagonist he has to operate through others. It's like watching an someone describing an action movie. A bit hard to get into and a hard break from previous books. Good news is Cold Night and Skin Games make up for this.

I can't decide if I want JB to write Peace Talks or Aeronauts Windlass book 2.

Thanks for explaining!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11661 on: April 29, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
I've just finished A Conjuring of Light (Darker Shades of Magic #3). This book is pretty grim and dark, what with all the deaths and losses of the main characters (there were many parts that even I started to tear up a bit, dang) The story is also told through an additional POV, which is a fully adult characters (plus tragic backstory and current story), so I would say this is the least YA and almost adult-ish fantasy book in the entire series. There were some slow parts, and the ending feel a little bit dragged out, but I do think it's a quite good series overall. (And I absolutely loved Holland)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
Began Circe by Madeline Miller and listened more or less non stop. Wow. Thanks @Nora definitely one of the best I will read this year, blew my mind on so many levels.

Coming down from that high needed something completely different so starting on  Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Like many of his and been meaning to read this for a long time, so will see how it goes.

Put Libriomancer on hold as it does not hold my attention, but this is a problem I have and not the fault of the book. My tastes have changed and probably now over both YA and lightweight urban although have thoroughly enjoyed both in the past. The characters no longer make sufficient impression for me to remember who they are from one reading time to the next. This does not happen with Rivers of London series and other strong types of fantasy books this month had me completely absorbed in their world and fully aware. Getting picky. :-[
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11663 on: April 29, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »
Old Man's War is cool and the follow up books too!

I don't have a lot of free time but can read on my commute, so should be finished in a year or two. ;)
(I got City of Miracles today, it's not so heavy, so maybe I'll read that in between).
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #11664 on: April 29, 2018, 06:20:28 PM »
Finished Jen Williams' The Bitter Twins today (loved it!). Will probably pick up volume 8 of the Saga comics now, but unsure about which novel to read next - may actually read something non-SFF, as I haven't done in a while.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11665 on: April 29, 2018, 10:44:31 PM »
Began Circe by Madeline Miller and listened more or less non stop. Wow. Thanks @Nora definitely one of the best I will read this year, blew my mind on so many levels.

Glad to see that about Circe, @Lady Ty, because that's one I've been thinking about picking up.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11666 on: April 30, 2018, 12:58:42 PM »
I've just started Selin Ascends (accidentally run across it at a local bookstore, you wouldn't believe how quickly my money flew out of my hand lol  ;D). It seems amazing so far, and I enjoyed reading tidbits on our unprobable hero Selin's nerdish life.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: May 01, 2018, 02:13:44 AM »
@Elfy I think you and Lejays will both enjoy Circe. Nora wrote a great non spoiler review here earlier and I plan to write a proper review on GR later, there are so many good points to praise. But probably the perceptive way she has drawn characters, first class prose and ability to expand on myth with shrewd imagination are top for me.

@xiagan Have already downloaded parts 2 and 3 of Old Man's War. Wonderful to have older person's POV, and I definitely need a brain-pal with an appropriate name. As the first person narrator, William Dufris on audible could not come across better and in perfect spirit of John Perry.

“The problem with aging is not that it's one damn thing after another—it's every damn thing, all at once, all the time.”
 John Scalzi, Old Man's War

Amen to that. ;) ;D ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11668 on: May 01, 2018, 05:23:17 AM »
I've just started Selin Ascends (accidentally run across it at a local bookstore, you wouldn't believe how quickly my money flew out of my hand lol  ;D). It seems amazing so far, and I enjoyed reading tidbits on our unprobable hero Selin's nerdish life.

Is this a new copy or the extremely rare older self pub paperback? I am assuming its an English copy.
Let us know how you get on its in my TBR on Kindle.

Reading Fallen Angels and Snow Crash atm. Snowcrash has a frenetic start and mellows but is entertaining so far.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11669 on: May 01, 2018, 03:59:31 PM »

Is this a new copy or the extremely rare older self pub paperback? I am assuming its an English copy.
Let us know how you get on its in my TBR on Kindle.

Reading Fallen Angels and Snow Crash atm. Snowcrash has a frenetic start and mellows but is entertaining so far.

The new copy, I think. What a coincidence that I was about to make posts about the book.

Regarding that, someone should wrestle me next time I'm going to buy a non sword-and-sorcery novels. The book is well written, and I love that, but I just couldn't really get behind on the steampunk-ish settings somehow. Considering if I should put it on hold for now or just power through.  ???