August 15, 2018, 01:50:31 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1412299 times)

Offline Skip

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11625 on: April 14, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »
Reading Ellery Queen, The King is Dead. It's a curious book with a fine locked-room mystery at its center. A man stands in one room with an empty revolver. He has announced he will murder another man who sits in another, locked, room. Both men are observed. At midnight, he pulls the trigger. The gun clicks (it's empty). There is no sound of a shot, but the other man keels over with a bullet in his chest. The bullet came from that gun.

If that's all it was, this would be a short story, but the Queen team has dreamed up larger-than-life characters, the chief of whom would be perfectly at home as a James Bond villain, complete with island fortress, vast wealth, and overweening arrogance. Moreover, the structure of the book is unusual.

There's good reason why Ellery Queen was once the best-selling author in America.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11626 on: April 15, 2018, 07:11:34 PM »
Read simulation disorder by tebakutis liked some stories more than others as is normal for collections and anthologies. Its well worth a look though.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11627 on: April 16, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
I finished The Princess Bride by William Goldman at the end of last week. It was very enjoyable, but not really all that different to the film (or my memory of it, at least).

I have moved on to Ammonite by Nicola Griffith, for 1993 in my chronological SF challenge. I had several good options for '93, and went for this on the basis that I really enjoyed Slow River. This is a different kind of story - it's about an anthropologist visiting a newly-rediscovered colony where there's a virus that cannot be allowed off the planet unless the latest vaccine works. It kind of reminds of me of several other books. I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline silversun

« Reply #11628 on: April 17, 2018, 01:23:16 AM »
I'm halfway through Robin Hobb's The Soldier Son trilogy.  A little flat, to be honest, but interesting enough to continue.
Oh, that's the one I was told in no uncertain terms NOT to read!!!
Just stick to the other 16 books which are amazing...

Haha, but I've already read all of them! In Soldier Son I saw what I thought was a prototype of Fritz, a character who can't seem to stop himself from deciding what other people should and shouldn't know, therefore influencing their lives, but then I realized she wrote this series after the Farseer Trilogy.

It's safe to say that this trilogy can be missed.

I really enjoyed Soldier's Son, though it had its problems. It made me cry at the end. It's just hard not to compare to Realm of the Elderlings

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11629 on: April 17, 2018, 12:26:14 PM »
I've started Erikson's Deadhouse gates (Malazan 2).

Ouch - even reading a summary of Gardens of the moon beforehand, I'm still a bit confused at the beginning. Let's hope I pick up soon, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11630 on: April 17, 2018, 07:12:55 PM »
Dubliners by James Joyce. Not bad but needs more wizards and dragons.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11631 on: April 17, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »
My readthrough of the Dune universe (Duniverse?) is approaching the home stretch. Mentats was one of my favourite books of last year, so I'm hoping the quality carries through to Navigators.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11632 on: April 18, 2018, 06:23:24 AM »
I've started Erikson's Deadhouse gates (Malazan 2).

Ouch - even reading a summary of Gardens of the moon beforehand, I'm still a bit confused at the beginning. Let's hope I pick up soon, hehe

Deadhouse Gates is pretty much entirely separate from Gardens of the Moon. There might be a few crossover characters, but almost everything in it is new. It's more like Erikson is telling two different stories. Memories of Ice will return to the characters from Gardens of the Moon.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11633 on: April 18, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »
Thanks for letting me know - I know my memory's bad, but I thought it had gone altogether :o ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11634 on: April 18, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
I'm nearly through with my reread of Gardens of the Moon. It's incredible what stuff you discover on the one hand, on the other hand you discover why the term "GotMism" exists. So many things not in line with or in opposition to stuff from later books...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11635 on: April 20, 2018, 01:47:57 AM »
re-reading stardust. I had forgotten how beautiful the prose is in this book.
Also re-reading the Hardback road brothers with extra stories.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11636 on: April 20, 2018, 09:29:20 AM »
Also re-reading the Hardback road brothers with extra stories.

Now that's a book I've gotta to get my hands on!  :D

I'm raeding A Conjuring of Light at the moment, and it's pretty amazing.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11637 on: April 20, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »
I have moved on to Ammonite by Nicola Griffith, for 1993 in my chronological SF challenge. I had several good options for '93, and went for this on the basis that I really enjoyed Slow River. This is a different kind of story - it's about an anthropologist visiting a newly-rediscovered colony where there's a virus that cannot be allowed off the planet unless the latest vaccine works. It kind of reminds of me of several other books. I'm enjoying it so far.

I finished Ammonite last night. It was solid and readable, but I think I ultimately preferred Slow River, although that's a different kind of SF. (Ammonite is planetary SF, Slow River is near-future earth.)

I'm moving on to The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson, another SPFBO3 finalist, my second.

Offline Bender

« Reply #11638 on: April 20, 2018, 10:50:16 PM »
Taking a short break from Fantasy.

Reading Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. Sci-fi at it's finest. Loving it.

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #11639 on: April 20, 2018, 11:00:44 PM »
Taking a short break from Fantasy.

Reading Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. Sci-fi at it's finest. Loving it.

That entire trilogy is nigh on perfect.

Meanwhile I'm onto Ghost Story of the Dresden Files. It's largely entertaining, but it's the first Dresden to have parts that are a real slog to get through.