June 21, 2018, 11:13:21 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1374944 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11550 on: March 13, 2018, 11:03:23 PM »
By the way @tebakutis, I read the chat/review you and the others did for book 1 on Fantasy Hive, and drats for your "writers' brain", finding faults that I hadn't noticed before and that now followed me into book 2 >:(

You're welcome! :)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11551 on: March 13, 2018, 11:45:51 PM »
Seems I'm finally out of a massive reading slump in the past months.

I read The Reborn King by Michael R. Miller. 3/5 - This has some really good ideas and some great glimpses of future twists and revelations well plotted, but the main event of the book didn't work for me. The Reborn King is a dragon prince, arrogant, hotheaded, rash, etc. He has conflicts and alliances with pretty interesting characters, then an attack happens and he dies, a mage casts a rebirth spell on him (hence the title) and he is sent as a baby to a remote human village.
Then about two decades passes and he becomes pretty much the standard goody two-shoes chosen one. Worse, a century old war keeps raging but since he's a baby and a child, we only see reports of pretty big and fantastic stuff instead of seeing it. The initial personal conflicts and other characters simply vanish.
I think I'll see later how it ends, but not now.

I read Where The Waters Turn Black by Patrick Benedict. 5/5 - Setting is inspired on South Asia or Pacific islands? It's an Atoll, with tribal age technology.
This actually didn't start too well. The MC was a little annoying, no sign of a plot. I even considered dropping it once or twice. But then things change around the first third and we get that the gods they mention actually exist and walk upon the earth. Curiously it was this aspect that reminded me City of Miracles had been out for some time and that I needed to read it.
Anyway, the gods even have stories between themselves and the populace that shaped the history of the Atoll and thought those were pretty good.
I really didn't like how the author did character's internal thoughts. It didn't feel like a person thinking but just a device to tell how to see/feel about things and even for infodumping backstory and worldbuilding. It really drove me nuts throughout the story.
The final third was really good and surprisingly emotional. I'd say around the first third of halfway through it was a 3/5, a 4/5 past that and a 5/5 the in the last third. I brushed away the things I didn't like with the last third.

Then read The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. 3/5 - Hm, I can understand how this could be polemic back in 1886, but for me in present day, not much.
It has some similarities with Picture of Dorian Gray, but Wilde's work has much better writing and characterization. They both explore dualities of good/evil, dual lives between public face and hidden desires, the importance of appearance - Dorian and Jekyll are attractive, intelligent, youthful, etc and Dorian's picture and Hyde, their "evil personas" are ugly, short (Hyde), deformed, etc.
It was more interesting seeing the texts showing what was going on in the period and the inspiration for those works.

And I'm halfway through City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11552 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:59 AM »
Just finished listening to “Warbreaker” by Sanderson.
It’s a stand alone novel, and while long, it never felt like a door stopper.

Even though it reads as one you may be pleased to know that a second book in that universe is coming out soonish.
Also I don't know where you are at in Way of Kings, but many of the warbreaker characters make appearances in the series, especially in the last one that just came out.

That moment when I'm stuck wanting to ask who is it, but am also stuck being afraid of spoilers...  ::) I haven't read Oathbringer too lol

I'm currently reading the Wheel of Osheim on the part where Jalan finally met Jorg for the second time! I absolutely love it! The two had an amazing drunken time trying to out do one another on the tale of their life. Details turned out to be pretty similar, which in a way I think is Mark Lawrence playing a joke on his own works, and I love that kind of humour in an author.  ;D

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: March 15, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaAAaaaaaAAaaAAahhhh!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:06:31 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11554 on: March 15, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
@Nora: Super envious! Four months!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: March 15, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
I know, right? It wasn't even sent to me, it was sent to the shop in general, and uncaring booksellers tossed it in the middle of our table, and I noticed it by pure chance in the middle of a conversation. I YELPED to everyone's intense confusion.

I can write you early reviews for it and Circe for the website if you want. I don't do that much non-fiction it could be a good exercise.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: March 15, 2018, 10:55:39 PM »
Finished “Hounded”, the first Iron Druid. 3/5.
It just never really got me going. It was interesting, and I liked the dog.
But sorry to any fans: sort of meh.

So, my new Audible is... “The Eye of the World” by Robert Jordan.
I read it and about 4 or 5 more Wheel of Time books about 20 years ago (?), so it will be very interesting to come back to it.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: March 15, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »
@Nora: Super envious! Four months!

Same here   ;D What a treat though, just appearing like that. Not long to wait really, and doesn't Cameron's book come in June to keep us busy then?  But would appreciate a review.

Have spent weeks re-reading Riyria Revelations, and after Chronicles so many things now become clearer and good "Aha"  moments. An early review of Age of War also hints that yet another mystery in this world will unravel so  looking forward to that as well. l have probably raved before about the whole of Michael J Sullivan's work , but it is clear that he planned everything so carefully way back at the very beginning that it all falls into place perfectly over the years, culminating in this epic series Legends of the First Empire that rounds it off and explains the history.
Also very inclusive  with all his characters and notable for strong practical women in leading roles throughout.

MJS is an outsanding writer and gets my Golden Dragon Favoured Author Award.

'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11558 on: March 16, 2018, 03:15:54 AM »
Finished “Hounded”, the first Iron Druid. 3/5.
It just never really got me going. It was interesting, and I liked the dog.
But sorry to any fans: sort of meh.

So, my new Audible is... “The Eye of the World” by Robert Jordan.
I read it and about 4 or 5 more Wheel of Time books about 20 years ago (?), so it will be very interesting to come back to it.
I liked the first few of Hearne's Iron Druid books and then Atticus became more tiresome than amusing, but yes Oberon remained the best thing about them.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #11559 on: March 16, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »
@Nora Score! Well done on grabbing it.

@Lady Ty I still haven't got around to reading the Riyria Revelations, but it's on my list.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline Skip

« Reply #11560 on: March 16, 2018, 05:12:02 PM »
Currently reading The Judas Window by John Dickson (also John Dickson Carr), the acknowledged master of the locked-room mystery. This one is a full novel. It plays out a bit like an old Perry Mason story: begins with the event and the principals involved therein, then moves to the narrator's POV who is associated with a barrister who is to defend the accused. We get the courtroom drama, complete with out-of-court discussions of clues and in-court confessions, then the brilliant solution. I'm not quite to the end so I don't know if that is going to take place in court or not. I suspect it will.

The writing, of course, is solid. The author does not hesitate to reference other literary works, many of which were obscure to me, so I'm having fun running those down. Among the tiny gems: I now know where Fleming got the title for "A View to a Kill."
Visit Altearth

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11561 on: March 17, 2018, 08:36:05 AM »
Finished City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. 5/5

What a book! I really love the way he describes divinities, you really feel how it would be to be in front of one.

I think like in the previous books the "mystery part" again didn't work for me. I always see miles always who killed who, who was the special child, who was related and not, etc. If it was intended to be a surprising plot twist, it didn't work for me in all three books. Also didn't like how the antagonist was really interesting and menacing and then he (and some others), despite being decades or centuries old, are deep inside hurt teenagers.

But everything else is pretty damn good.

Online ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11562 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
I'm almost at the end of The Waking Fire (Anthony Ryan), book 2 of the series, and I think I'm enjoying this one even more than the first. I just think it's going to end in another cliffhanger without resolution... but book 3 is published in July, so I just need to get my library to get it.

Does anyone know if there are only 3 in the series? His site doesn't clarify...

Finished this one, and it was great and didn't confirm my fears :D although the story really didn't end, this is definitely one long story divided into 3 books (yes, in the last page it said book 3 is the conclusion)

I didn't have a problem with the story being developed on 3 fronts, since I see that each one is working on the conclusion through a different angle, and you can see they will all come together in the end. Book 2 maintains that format, allowing us to see a lot more of the world - super!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: March 18, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
Also didn't like how the antagonist was really interesting and menacing and then he (and some others), despite being decades or centuries old, are deep inside hurt teenagers.

Well, why not Lanko? How many centuries can make you an adult divinity, when you can live for all eternity? Certainly you should be able to see the difference between a God who's been around since creation and its child?
What is the growth rate of a God?
That stuff really doesn't bother me. In Circe, which I just loved to bits, the MC is a Titan, hence immortal. You see the story through her eyes, but she's telling it enough "in the moment" that you can sense how she felt herself mature, but as the story goes on and she looks back she appreciate how immature and naive she was, despite being a thousand years old.
If it's well done it works really well. I feel like Circe tackled a growing divinity better than City of Miracles, but then again it's not the centre of that book's plot.

Here I just put The Ninth Rain aside to read Consider Phlebas by Banks, as I need to read it before my coming book group. It was good. Well written, lots of action, some gruesome moments. I feel a bit dizzy, finally having read both Simmons and Banks, the two old mammoths of sci-fi I'd never tried.
I think I prefer Dan Simmons, if only because he never loses you, and Banks seemed to sometimes delve into his concepts without explaining them too much because if he did we'd see they have no scientific basis. A bit bummed by who survives the book too. But I'll go on with more culture books eventually.

Now starting Record Of A Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers. Haaaaaaa!!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:47:43 AM by Nora »

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11564 on: March 18, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
Also didn't like how the antagonist was really interesting and menacing and then he (and some others), despite being decades or centuries old, are deep inside hurt teenagers.

Well, why not Lanko? How many centuries can make you an adult divinity, when you can live for all eternity? Certainly you should be able to see the difference between a God who's been around since creation and its child?
What is the growth rate of a God?
That stuff really doesn't bother me. In Circe, which I just loved to bits, the MC is a Titan, hence immortal. You see the story through her eyes, but she's telling it enough "in the moment" that you can sense how she felt herself mature, but as the story goes on and she looks back she appreciate how immature and naive she was, despite being a thousand years old.
If it's well done it works really well. I feel like Circe tackled a growing divinity better than City of Miracles, but then again it's not the centre of that book's plot.

Yeah, I agree. Most likely a matter of execution. I think his issues could have been explored a little differently, but I guess it was the intention to make him look like that at certain points. I think he used a similar approach to other antagonists in previous installments.

Also I may have had issues with it because of the setting. The setting has cars, radios, telephones and etc. A lot of the "evolution" in ideas and thinking are common and easily accessible.

Possibly someone 200 years old between year 2000 and 2200 would have far more... for lack of a better term, "tools available" (not just technology), than someone a thousand years old between 40 BC and 1040 AD, for example.
Specially if the being is active on the world and influences it and is also heavily influenced by it. And how he worked and acted in the beginning.

I think he got this really good with Malwina.