May 25, 2018, 06:15:28 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1350627 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11535 on: March 12, 2018, 07:19:55 AM »
Finished The Liar's Key (Red Queen Wars #2), and have to say that I didn't really like this one as much as the first book.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The death of a certain character and treacherous turn of another left me feeling a bit disappointed.  :-\
Started the third book, The Wheel of Osheim, anyway.
Spoilers, son!

Oops, my apologies!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: March 12, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
Just finished listening to “Warbreaker” by Sanderson.
5/5, what a super book. I know a bunch of you have read it; for those who haven’t:

It’s a stand alone novel, and while long, it never felt like a door stopper.
The mysteries of its magic, history, and character secrets are great fun to solve and have revealed.
One thing I loved is that the book is about stopping a war, not waging it.
Lots of humor; had me guffawing. Really. Guffawing.  ;)
Also, lots of thoughtful stuff on how you know whether your life has any meaning; plus the need to be aware of the reasons behind your own feelings and actions.
Most all, I cared about the characters, especially the delightful god: Lightsong the Bold  ;D

I’d only read the Final Empire trilogy fromSanderson before. This is better by a long, long way.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #11537 on: March 12, 2018, 10:21:56 AM »
Every now and again I dive into a classic. Yesterday I finished A Tale of Two Cities.

Now, let me say that I often thoroughly enjoy a slow-paced narrative. But it needs to be building something, even if it isn't a castle -- and that something needs to be discernable, even if you can't identify exactly what it is. Parts of the book do that really well. But at other times, I felt it was treading water. It spent so much time building up something that it became unclimactic. I was quite close to giving up several times, and if it hadn't been for the marvellous language that inevitably kept popping up, I probably would have. Like with a lot of classics, it was a bit of a struggle to read but now that I'm done, I'm glad I have read it.

Now I started Frankenstein (yes, it was because of the ridiculous headline in The Sun). It seems a much smoother read, so far.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11538 on: March 12, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
Currently reading Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis - I was sucked in by the premise: Nazi super soldiers vs British warlocks during an alternative World War Two.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11539 on: March 12, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »
My new Audible read is “Iron Druid”, which is pretty harmless fun so far.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11540 on: March 12, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
I finished Fools by Pat Cadigan on Saturday. I always seem to be finishing my books at the weekend these days. I unexpectedly enjoyed it. I read its predecessor, Synners, way back when, and didn't really get on with it, so my expectations were low. It was a science fiction story about minds and identity, in a world of personality downloads and mind links and memory wipes. Fools won the Clarke Award in the mid-90s, but I was reading it for 1992 in my chronological challenge. (The Clarke is based on UK publication date, I believe.)

I've started Eight Skilled Gentlemen by Barry Hughart, the third and last Master Li and Number Ten Ox book.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: March 12, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »

Even though it reads as one you may be pleased to know that a second book in that universe is coming out soonish.
Also I don't know where you are at in Way of Kings, but many of the warbreaker characters make appearances in the series, especially in the last one that just came out.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11542 on: March 12, 2018, 02:49:04 PM »
Not reading anything at the moment but I think I'm going to start a reread of a Discworld book.
Today, three years ago, Terry Pratchett died.

GNU Terry Pratchett.

Found this beautiful Discworld poem by Sam Garland:

The sun goes down upon the Ankh,
And slowly, softly fades -
Across the Drum; the Royal Bank;
The River-Gate; the Shades.
A stony circle’s closed to elves;
And here, where lines are blurred,
Between the stacks of books on shelves,
A quiet ‘Ook’ is heard.
A copper steps the city-street
On paths he’s often passed;
The final march; the final beat;
The time to rest at last.
He gives his badge a final shine,
And sadly shakes his head -
While Granny lies beneath a sign
That says: ‘I aten’t dead.’
The Luggage shifts in sleep and dreams;
It’s now. The time’s at hand.
For where it’s always night, it seems,
A timer clears of sand.
And so it is that Death arrives,
When all the time has gone…
But dreams endure, and hope survives,
And Discworld carries on.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11543 on: March 12, 2018, 08:40:48 PM »
Currently reading Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis - I was sucked in by the premise: Nazi super soldiers vs British warlocks during an alternative World War Two.
Hope you read all three of them, Cameron. That is one of the best series I've read of all time. Reread it a couple of times and it always impresses.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11544 on: March 12, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »
5/5, what a super book. I know a bunch of you have read it; for those who haven’t:

The mysteries of its magic, history, and character secrets are great fun to solve and have revealed.
One thing I loved is that the book is about stopping a war, not waging it.
Lots of humor; had me guffawing. Really. Guffawing.  ;)
Also, lots of thoughtful stuff on how you know whether your life has any meaning; plus the need to be aware of the reasons behind your own feelings and actions.
Most all, I cared about the characters, especially the delightful god: Lightsong the Bold  ;D

I’d only read the Final Empire trilogy fromSanderson before. This is better by a long, long way.

Glad to see another Warbreaker fan. Before Warbreaker, I'd read Elantris, The Way of Kings, and (I believe) the first Mistborn book. For some reason, Warbreaker was the book that really solidified my love for Sanderson.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11545 on: March 12, 2018, 11:03:54 PM »
@xiagan thank you for that poem and remembering Terry Pratchett here.. Speak his name.
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #11546 on: March 13, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
I may have a look at Warbreaker. I read the first Mistborn book and my reaction was lukewarm. I bought the second one but never actually started it; there's always something I'd rather read. I'm just not that interested in knowing what happens...
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11547 on: March 13, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
I'm almost at the end of The Waking Fire (Anthony Ryan), book 2 of the series, and I think I'm enjoying this one even more than the first. I just think it's going to end in another cliffhanger without resolution... but book 3 is published in July, so I just need to get my library to get it.

Does anyone know if there are only 3 in the series? His site doesn't clarify...

By the way @tebakutis, I read the chat/review you and the others did for book 1 on Fantasy Hive, and drats for your "writers' brain", finding faults that I hadn't noticed before and that now followed me into book 2 >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11548 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:41 AM »
Hope you read all three of them, Cameron. That is one of the best series I've read of all time. Reread it a couple of times and it always impresses.

I'm at 75% and so far it's damn good :)

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #11549 on: March 13, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »
I just read a nearly final draft of a book whose author agreed to let me illustrate (for free, but a start).  It is an incredible story about a girl, who trapped in a rather medieval town, figures out how to escape by forcing a dragon to marry her. Incredible. If I can get the Author to let me, I'd write more, but I'm not sure if he/she is okay with that.