June 19, 2018, 09:07:48 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1374306 times)

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11490 on: February 23, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »

Some of my favorites:

Downbelow Station
Pride of Chanur series
The Faded Sun trilogy
Morgaine series

And a minor one, but struck me well in my late teens/early twenties: A Wave Without a Shore
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11491 on: February 23, 2018, 11:42:52 AM »
Has anyone read the  Culture series?

If you are talking Banks many times over Consider Phlebas would be the first published and where I would start. some would argue Use of Weapons to be a better book to start with. Great ideas and the universe is a very big place.

Here is a bit of whimsy from Against a dark background that I suspect was a homage to Douglas Adams. It is very out of character with his writing but fun.

http://www.milezero.org/index.php/fiction/writing/quote/the_lazy_guns.html

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11492 on: February 23, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
Yes, I'm a big fan. I am of the opinion that Banks saved science fiction (or space opera, maybe). Imaginative, sometimes dark, but also fun.

I started with the second-published, Player of Games, which is probably still my favourite. Maybe just because I read it first. I know people struggle with Consider Phlebas and it is a bit of an outlier. Every book is pretty much standalone, but I think they occasionally reference events from earlier books.

I feel that Al Reynolds is the most obvious heir, so maybe the Culture is not for Nora.

And I should maybe add that I've also read everything else Banks wrote, SF and non-SF - except for the last couple of books, which I'm rationing - and there's plenty of other stuff there which is great.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #11493 on: February 23, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »
I found his lit a bit hit and miss loved The Business, Crow road, Complicity and Stonemouth didn't like a song of stone and the bridge. canal dreams and The Wasp Factory were too grim for my taste

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11494 on: February 23, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
I finished Anthony Ryan's The waking fire and I really really liked it :D

At the end of my edition there's an interview with the author, and it was funny to confirm that my impression of Lizanne ('female James Bond, spy with gadgets') was exactly what he was aiming for ;D

Unfortunately it's one of those that has got a list of characters at the end! Why oh why ::)

I'm now going to read a YA book by Patrick Ness I got from the library last time, and then I already have Ryan's book 2 ready :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Online JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
Couldn’t wait for the new month to get my next Audible credit, so I bought 3 at “discount”, so called.

Still, I’m into my next book, which is Sanderson’s “Warbreaker”. Really enjoying it so far.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: February 23, 2018, 11:46:34 PM »
Finished The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter by Michael J Sullivan. Slow start but soon speeded up to be a 5 star. Couldn't bear to leave the world of Royce and Hadrian so started complete re-read in order of publication to refresh and get me ready to find ancient Easter eggs when Age of War comes out in July.

@ScarletBea you set me on this Riyria path and I cannot thank you enough. These books strike the epic sword and sorcery ideal for me.  Excellent characters, wonderful world building, lovely wry humour and with required fighting and battles but not dragged out to excess. There is political intrigue and various other ethical/social problems addressed in passing, but nothing is forced and MJS balances everything perfectly. He is also one of the most accessible authors I have found, will answer queries comments personally and quickly and keeps them up to date.

At present have read back up to Nyphron Rising, first part of Rise of Empire.

@JMack  after your username with a y did you change to Jmack for a while before going JMack? Or am I imagining it?  Or are there more than one of you?  :o :o
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:42:32 AM by Lady Ty »
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Online JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: February 24, 2018, 02:27:51 AM »
@Lady Ty, you’ve caught me out.
Yes, I started as “JMacyK”, but everyone kept leaving out the “y” and saying “Jmack”.
So I went with it and became Jmack.

The other day, I figured, “ehh”, let’s get the capitalization right, nd changed things to “JMack.”

And thereby hangs a tale.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: February 24, 2018, 04:55:19 AM »
^That is quite a relief, good to know. I have some reason to doubt my memory lately. ;D

But I have passed the same old person test as your president, two year's running. They make me do it every year now. It was very very easy, but the hardest part was counting backwards from 100 by 7. I passed it, going right down to 3 but did it the hard way. When I got home realised I should have taken away 10 and added 3 and that would have been much easier.  ;D

Sorry didn't mean to disrupt the thread.
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11499 on: February 24, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
@ScarletBea you set me on this Riyria path and I cannot thank you enough.
You're welcome! Unfortunately only 5 books are published in the UK...

s counting backwards from 100 by 7. I passed it, going right down to 3 but did it the hard way. When I got home realised I should have taken away 10 and added 3 and that would have been much easier.  ;D
:o I never realised that 'easy way', I also usually do it the hard way

I'm reading Release by Patrick Ness. No fantasy, but a lovely 'teen gay boy' story like only Patrick can write.
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11500 on: February 25, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
I finished Seven Forges by James A Moore. I wasn't that impressed, but I'm vaguely interested in seeing where it goes. It's supposedly inspired by Robert E Howard, and I can kind of see that, but in the end I didn't feel very invested in what happened. An expedition from the Empire makes it across the Blasted Lands to the mysterious Seven Forges mountains, where they find a hidden valley and an isolated warrior culture. A small party of the new people accompany them back to the Empire, and stuff happens.

I'm now reading the next Poirot, and then I'm going to start Nice Dragons Finish Last by Rachel Aaron, my current kindle lending library loan.

Online Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: February 25, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »

If you are talking Banks many times over Consider Phlebas would be the first published and where I would start. some would argue Use of Weapons to be a better book to start with. Great ideas and the universe is a very big place.

Here is a bit of whimsy from Against a dark background that I suspect was a homage to Douglas Adams. It is very out of character with his writing but fun.

http://www.milezero.org/index.php/fiction/writing/quote/the_lazy_guns.html

I would say start with Player of Games. But yes Culture books are incredible. Though my favourite Iain M Banks is The Algebraist. Aliens that live on Gas Giants! Mind blowing.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11502 on: February 25, 2018, 09:51:27 PM »
Kinda getting bored of Pride of Chanur right now. I have a shitty copy of it with numerous typoes, but beyond that the language is often opaque, the science of the ships and spacefaring is unintelligible, and the politics mostly happen in the Chanur captain's head, and I'm told more than I see, and understand precious little of what I'm given to see.
Will continue with Boy On The Bridge for now.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11503 on: February 26, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
Finished Prince of Thorns (Red Queen's War #1), and hoo boy I absolutely loved it! Jalan made me laughed so often I forgot I was reading about the quest of a man who had lost half of his family and journeying away to save the rest. My favorite part is probably when Jalan met Jorg and was scared witless.  ;D

"Jalan: So you're going to say it wasn't by poisoning his mead? Snorri: Single Combat. Jalan: We are leaving..." (Talking about Jorg slaying Sir Galen)"

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11504 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
I've now started The Legion of Flame, by Anthony Ryan, the second in the series :D