June 19, 2018, 09:08:17 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1374307 times)

Online CameronJohnston

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11475 on: February 18, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »
I'm reading the Art of War anthology just now.  Wow, what a table of contents! As always, the stories will be variable in quality for each reader and some really work for me, others not so much.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11476 on: February 18, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »
Finished End of the World Blues by Jon Courtenay Grimwood. I enjoyed it. It's a thriller, starting in Tokyo in 2018 (written over a decade ago). Barely speculative fiction at all, depending on how you interpret the more fantastic elements, but a good read.

I've started Seven Forges by James A Moore, which I'm not sure about yet.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11477 on: February 19, 2018, 03:53:28 AM »
I've just finished Death Masks (Dresden Files #5), and have to say that this book pretty much got on my nerves. Our favorite chauvinist Dresden got fooled by a pretty face thrice in this novel. Thrice is just way too much for the learning curve, I think.

There's also a repetitive and no-brainer morality issue Dresden had with Michael, which I had to skim through or otherwise I'll end up throwing the novel across the room. So you could say this is quite a poor installment in the series. I hope the next book, Blood Rites, will have some improvements.
But but but... Denarians!

It's okay. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be blown away by Blood Rites either. It's good, but I don't think the series really picks up again until book 9, or at least Proven Guilty.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11478 on: February 19, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
I've just finished Death Masks (Dresden Files #5), and have to say that this book pretty much got on my nerves. Our favorite chauvinist Dresden got fooled by a pretty face thrice in this novel. Thrice is just way too much for the learning curve, I think.

There's also a repetitive and no-brainer morality issue Dresden had with Michael, which I had to skim through or otherwise I'll end up throwing the novel across the room. So you could say this is quite a poor installment in the series. I hope the next book, Blood Rites, will have some improvements.
But but but... Denarians!

It's okay. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be blown away by Blood Rites either. It's good, but I don't think the series really picks up again until book 9, or at least Proven Guilty.

The Denarians are actually one of my favorite parts of the books, so no worries there.  ;D Although I admitted I was slightly put off when Nicodemus brought out a gun, I mean dude is immortal and he is going to resort to shooting Dresden? I also admit that I didn't really like Marcone as a character, his involvement always seemed to make things too mundane for an urban fantasy tale. My favorite Dresden so far is probably Summer Knight at the moment.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11479 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »
Finished Pierce's Tempests and Slaughter, first book in her new series about Numair's childhood.
Quite good but not groundbreaking. If you know her series, you can find lots of Easter eggs and learn interesting things about the past of some characters. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the next as long as we waited for the first.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11480 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »
I got Myke Cole's The Armored Saint yesterday and blazed through it in an evening. Great storytelling as always, and if you liked his prior stuff, you'll like this. Hell, you might like this even if you didn't like his prior stuff. It's good grimdark but also takes time to make you really like the MC, which makes all the bad stuff that happens to her and those she cares about more poignant. Recommended!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11481 on: February 21, 2018, 08:36:32 PM »
I got Myke Cole's The Armored Saint yesterday and blazed through it in an evening. Great storytelling as always, and if you liked his prior stuff, you'll like this. Hell, you might like this even if you didn't like his prior stuff. It's good grimdark but also takes time to make you really like the MC, which makes all the bad stuff that happens to her and those she cares about more poignant. Recommended!
Just read this morning about it, good to know! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11482 on: February 21, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
I enjoyed reading that thumbnail spoiler free review @tebakutis. I do like Cole's work and I'm looking forward to this one.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: February 21, 2018, 10:17:53 PM »
Not all that taken with Boy On The Bridge.
Slow start.

Put it aside and read Both Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword over the last three days. Will pick up Ancillary Mercy tonight and be done by tomorrow most likely.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Skip

« Reply #11484 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:32 AM »
Just finished a re-read of "Murders in the Rue Morgue." A few things struck me.

One, the story starts with an extended preamble in which Poe talks in general terms about human psychology and behavior. Several pages of it, none of it necessary to the story. It would never make it past an editor today.

Two, this guy pre-invented Sherlock Holmes. It was so striking I had to do some research, and sure enough there a numerous essays on exactly this. I read this story when I was a kid so of course had no clue then, but it was un-missable. The tone, the method, even the presentation of the detection, was very much Holmes. If you, like me, have not read the story in a long time, try re-visiting it. But skim that long first section; it really is not needed.

Three, underneath the cleverness and the formality of the prose, there's some unblinking gruesomeness. There are a couple of points where I was brought up short. Deft work, for something from so long ago.

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: February 23, 2018, 03:06:54 AM »
Finished the ‘Society of the sword’ trilogy by Duncan Hamilton on Audible.

I enjoyed it, but it’s a 3 Star, 3.5 at best. This is mainly due to one of my absolute peeves: there are almost no women, and most of what there are are whores and/or just be saved by the hero. Also, the prose is pretty standard; not much to love as a wordsmith.

But otherwise, there was much to enjoy. The world was interesting, the main character enjoyable, and the adventure fun. The final climactic duel delivered nicely. One thing very well-handled was the slow, and never complete, transformation of a street orphan into a great swordsman/knight. Sure, the trope of unexpected magic (or, in this case anti-magic) is over done, but it’s always enjoyable when something overdone is still done very well.

If you want an easy, fun read (and don’t mind your women two-dimensional and almost non-existent), this is nice choose.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #11486 on: February 23, 2018, 03:11:46 AM »
Has anyone read the  Culture series?

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: February 23, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
Has anyone read the  Culture series?

No and actually I do feel a bit bad, because along with Hyperion, Endymion or Illium, it's a sci-fi classic I've seen in shop shelves wherever I went to shop for books.
I guess it's because I've never read anything by him, and he has the rep of being this all around writer, like dan Simmons. I intend to remedy that one day soon, but the blurbs are also quite unappealing. I've been all over Dan Simmons recently, but I dropped Gene Wolf and Reynolds, so I'm a bit wary of "giants".

I've put the third Imperial Radch aside and started my first CJ Cherryh : foreigner
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: February 23, 2018, 10:37:56 AM »

I've put the third Imperial Radch aside and started my first CJ Cherryh : foreigner

Not even close to my favorite Cherryh, but a good one. Hope you enjoy, because she’s a favorite writer with a lot of wonderful stuff.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: February 23, 2018, 10:40:54 AM »

Not even close to my favorite Cherryh, but a good one. Hope you enjoy, because she’s a favorite writer with a lot of wonderful stuff.

Do you prefer Cyteen, or Pride of Chanur? Or another?