July 23, 2018, 04:56:29 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1388720 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11355 on: December 30, 2017, 11:23:17 PM »
Very good to know! Would love to hear about what happens next, yet it's a very self sufficient story. Glad for it!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11356 on: January 01, 2018, 05:07:29 AM »
Finished Children Of Time by Tchaikovsky, and it was awesome! I suspected the ending... somewhat, but in a good way for once. Very pleased with it. Good message, good execution. Hard to put down.

Did you know that Lionsgate is adapting this into a movie?

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11357 on: January 01, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
Finished Summer Knight (Dresden Files #4), and I agreed with the others that this series goes get gradually better with each book. Going back to the fourth book of codex alera which I haven't finished yet.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #11358 on: January 02, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »
I finished Gardens of the moon *sigh*
Gushing in the respective Book Club thread ;)

I'm now 'forcing' myself to read the unread books I have at home first, instead of just rushing to buy the next Malazan... ::) ;D

TBR lists are just suggestions....

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11359 on: January 02, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
Finished Children Of Time by Tchaikovsky, and it was awesome! I suspected the ending... somewhat, but in a good way for once. Very pleased with it. Good message, good execution. Hard to put down.

Glad to know, the premise intrigued me and everytime I went to my TBR to look for something I always strongly considered it but for various reasons never chose it.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11360 on: January 02, 2018, 05:22:26 PM »
I finished Gardens of the moon *sigh*
Gushing in the respective Book Club thread ;)

I'm now 'forcing' myself to read the unread books I have at home first, instead of just rushing to buy the next Malazan... ::) ;D

TBR lists are just suggestions....
Not for me, unfortunately - not the physical TBR lists (the virtual are, yes)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #11361 on: January 02, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »
I'm currently making an attempt to finish up Assassins Quest by Robin Hobb.  My goal in 2018 is to polish up the many trilogies i've started, but never finished.  (I always seem to read the first two of a trilogy, but never the third, oddly enough).

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: January 02, 2018, 07:44:47 PM »
I'm currently making an attempt to finish up Assassins Quest by Robin Hobb.  My goal in 2018 is to polish up the many trilogies i've started, but never finished.  (I always seem to read the first two of a trilogy, but never the third, oddly enough).

Maybe it is because you are so often let down by the third in a trilogy - Godfather III, Spiderman 3, X-Men: The Last Stand, Matrix Revolutions ...
The Real Powers That Be

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #11363 on: January 03, 2018, 12:23:31 AM »

Maybe it is because you are so often let down by the third in a trilogy - Godfather III, Spiderman 3, X-Men: The Last Stand, Matrix Revolutions ...

Haha maybe.  I think too that I don't space out the trilogies and wind up reading the first two back-to-back.  By the time I'm done with the first two...I want to move onto another story.  My TBR is all jacked because of this  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11364 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:41 AM »
reading the first two back-to-back.  By the time I'm done with the first two...I want to move onto another story.
:o I could never do that!!!
I love reading full series back-to-back...

(everyone's soooo different ;D)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11365 on: January 03, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
I'm reading Jennifer Morgue, the second book of Charles Stross' Laundry Files. An excellent 007 pastiche with a demonologist hacker civil servant thrust into fighting Lovecraftian nightmares.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11366 on: January 03, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »
I finished Mark Lawrence's Road brothers last night, and it's got some amazing stories!

My favourites were the ones with Jorg ( ::) :D ), just delving deeper into his life, but all were quite interesting (and making me want to re-read the trilogy).
This book also has a Jalan story, which is SO funny ;D

I'll now start N.K. Jemisin's Killing moon, from her Dreamblood duology (these were my missing ones from her).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:35:39 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #11367 on: January 03, 2018, 01:27:30 PM »
I finished my first book of 2018, the highly enjoyable Europe at Midnight by Dave Hutchinson. This is the second book in his Fractured Europe series. I'm reading it because the third one won the BSFA last year and one of my current goals is to read all of the BSFA winners. I sort of think of it as SF, but it does have a major aspect that feels very fantastical. I don't know if it will end up with a more SF explanation. It's essentially a near-future thriller set in a Europe which has split into hundreds of tiny states. It doesn't really sound like much when you describe it, but I just find the writing very entertaining to read, and I'm looking forward to reading part 3.

I'm not sure what's next. Maybe my current Kindle Lending Library loan, The Half Killed by Quenby Olson, which missed out on the final of the latest SPFBO, but sounded interesting to me. There's a new Marko Kloos out soon, which will probably be this month's loan, so I need to get last month's read.

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #11368 on: January 03, 2018, 05:11:07 PM »
reading the first two back-to-back.  By the time I'm done with the first two...I want to move onto another story.
:o I could never do that!!!
I love reading full series back-to-back...

(everyone's soooo different ;D)

Yea I always tell myself it shouldn't be a problem to read all 3 back-to-back-to-back, but then after two, I find myself itching for a switch for some reason.

It's like that dog in the movie "UP". ....

..."I love this story so much, it so great, and wonderful and.. *turns head to the left*  OH LOOK!  SHINY BALL!  *runs towards ball*.   ;D

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #11369 on: January 03, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
I started Prudence by Gail Carriger last night before bed. I enjoyed her first series, the Parasol Protectorate, so I decided to pick up the first book of new series.

I'm enjoying it so far and questioning myself on why I let it sit on my shelf for months.