March 30, 2020, 05:55:30 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1922239 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #11325 on: December 18, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
I keep meaning to start Codex and haven't got there yet, but so many here have enjoyed it and Inks has just been rushing all through the series and raving about it, so think it may be my next reading over the holidays. ;)

Hearing it like that from my fellow forumites showed me how much I'm into the series, hahah.  :D The entire series is quite a nice surprise, actually. When I start Codex, I was expecting something near the quality of the first Dresden book. The first Codex was slightly above that, but the second and third book were totally action-packed page turners, and I couldn't stop myself from powering through them.

The fourth book is about politics though, my least favorite topic in fantasy or any other media, and the book had been slightly dull so far.

Offline Peat

« Reply #11326 on: December 18, 2017, 09:38:22 AM »
The Dresden Files does take definitely pick up big time as things go on. I'd agree with UK that, for me at least, Codex Alera doesn't reach the Dresden Files' highs, but I'd also say the quality is more consistent.

And I have no idea what Butcher was trying to do with the Cinder Spires but add me to the list of people saying it didn't work. I know people who've enjoyed it but to me it was a pale imitation of himself.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #11327 on: December 18, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »
I’m still reading Oathbringer. I’ve got some Sarah J. Maas books to read next. They’re different to what I normally read but they were only 99p each on Kindle so thought I’d give them a go.  :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11328 on: December 18, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
The Dresden Files does take definitely pick up big time as things go on. I'd agree with UK that, for me at least, Codex Alera doesn't reach the Dresden Files' highs, but I'd also say the quality is more consistent.

And I have no idea what Butcher was trying to do with the Cinder Spires but add me to the list of people saying it didn't work. I know people who've enjoyed it but to me it was a pale imitation of himself.
I'm very similar. I love Dresden, and people had urged me to read the Codex, but I never got around to it. I read Cinder Spires and was extremely disappointed. I only finished the book through sheer bloody mindedness and it made up my mind that when it comes to Butcher I'll stick to Dresden.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11329 on: December 18, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
I’m still reading Oathbringer. I’ve got some Sarah J. Maas books to read next. They’re different to what I normally read but they were only 99p each on Kindle so thought I’d give them a go.  :)
She describes herself as YA, and she has a big YA audience (weirdly enough she's huge in Australia), my wife has read most of her books and enjoys them, although she says its best not to think too hard when reading them.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11330 on: December 19, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »

I'm very similar. I love Dresden, and people had urged me to read the Codex, but I never got around to it. I read Cinder Spires and was extremely disappointed. I only finished the book through sheer bloody mindedness and it made up my mind that when it comes to Butcher I'll stick to Dresden.
I hated Cinder Spires, but loved Codex. I think you'll love it too Elfy. You're one of the few around here whose book tastes I am familiar with. Trust me.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: December 20, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »
Put my THREE books on hold to start reading Thrawn. I'm 45% in and it's awesome so far. Exactly what I've been craving for, in a Star Wars universe. On the highway to Thrawn fandom.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11332 on: December 20, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
Put my THREE books on hold to start reading Thrawn. I'm 45% in and it's awesome so far. Exactly what I've been craving for, in a Star Wars universe. On the highway to Thrawn fandom.

I've been meaning to pick that up, as I adored Zahn's original EU trilogy (yes, even with the clones). You've now upped my interest once again. I must remember to pick that one up soon.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #11333 on: December 20, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »

I've been meaning to pick that up, as I adored Zahn's original EU trilogy (yes, even with the clones). You've now upped my interest once again. I must remember to pick that one up soon.

I started it tonight 12% in and enjoying :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: December 20, 2017, 11:44:09 PM »
It's a bit like Sherlock in Space, without Sherlock being annoying. But there are sides to humans that Thrawn doesn't quite get, so he's not totally OPed, yet devastating in his strategies. There is a politics plot happening on coruscant on the side that is actually NOT boring (wild!), and more than anything, it depicts a realistic empire, where small people, including Thrawn and his aide, are working against bad guys : smugglers, pirates, people organising revolts and unrest... to their eyes it's good. Smugglers aren't heroes. So we get to see horrible generals and poor leadership or jealousy and power and the inertia and grind of empire, but also how normal people are terrified of palpatine, yet live in a fully functional world under the grip of the empire.
Exactly what the movies show less and less : we don't see people living and normal planets. Just ships jumping at one another and rebels going from base to base in abandoned worlds of ice or whatever.
I'm not rooting for the empire, but I'd love for the character to keep on a track that seems good to him while the "decor" of empire grows oppressive enough to justify the rebellion.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Peat

« Reply #11335 on: December 21, 2017, 12:34:55 AM »

I hated Cinder Spires, but loved Codex. I think you'll love it too Elfy. You're one of the few around here whose book tastes I am familiar with. Trust me.

I can't claim to be an expert on Elfy's tastes but I reckon there's a solid chance most Dresden fans will like it.

Just finished Horns by Joe Hill. It veered between the awesome and the childish/ho-hum for me. Great concept, great phrasing, some great reveals and scenes, but a lot of belabouring the point.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #11336 on: December 21, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
The Southern Reach trilogy. Enjoyed it far more than Lovecraft's stuff, in whose vein it flows.

Offline WilliamRay

« Reply #11337 on: December 22, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
I just finished Jeanette Ng's Under the Pendulum Sun, which was a fantastic gothic read with missionaries in the fae lands.. but I'm not sure it's what a lot of fantasy readers are looking for. It's a bit literary, but well put together if you like that sort of thing.

Now I'm starting Richard Nell's Kings of Paradise which (despite the name and beachy cover) opens with cannibalism in a really bleak, vaguely Nordic fantasy world. A few chapters in, and I'm very intrigued to see where it's going.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: December 22, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »
Finished Dune and book five of Wheel of Time. Enjoyed both. Felt that Dune was a bit rushed in the character development. Had it been written today, I feel like it could have been a much longer book and expanded more on:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Paul's transformation from noble to messiah. The little sister could have used some more page time as well, she plays a big role in the climax, but only appears in one or two scenes prior to it.

Enjoyed book five of WoT. There was a lot less time with the menagerie than I remember, and a lot more time spent on Nynaeve complaining about men, which had me laughing much of the time. I think one of the things I really like about this series is that the characters just seem genuinely decent toward one another. They actually think kind things about each other, do compassionate things for one another, and sort of act as a family. Kind of a big difference from the "I hate everything and everything hates me, let's all be dicks to each other for no reason" attitude in many of the books and fantasy shows lately. *cough* Magicians *cough*

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: December 22, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
I've been reading The Plantagenets by Dan Jones.  Turns out medieval British history was even more interesting than the histories of most fantasy novels!
The Real Powers That Be