June 15, 2019, 11:56:56 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1653429 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10590 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
At last have begun City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett. I know I am going to enjoy this already a couple of chapters in, but sad it is last of the Divine Cities trilogy.

Anyone planning to read City of Stairs, like @Bradley Darewood, recommend once you get to Bulikov you google City of Stairs Images and look for image that says Click to Explore the City of Bulikov.  It is an interactive map/illistration that will help you get a feeling for the architecture of this very strange city. I'm not giving the link to the page because it also has a synopsis review and could spoiler.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10591 on: June 21, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
Finished The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Stavely. 4/5
My least favorite book in the series, which is sad considering it's 900 pages. There's a lot to like here though. The story is engaging and you never know what direction it's going to take, but nothing shocking. If Staveley hadn't been so concerned about religiously sticking to his four povs, we could've had about 4 scenes that would've made for awesome dramatic build-up, but instead I had to listen to someone else talk about it, which was no fun. The ending was... Not as dramatic as it could've been. There was only one moment where I cheered, but there was the potential for so much more to happen. A lot of chapters ended trying to be philosophical and original, but they didn't hit right. Maybe it's because I've read enough Fantasy books with a similar message that the point can't be driven home.
I didn't realize this about Staveley until book 3, but I feel like he has a problem with women. Any major female character is depicted as emotional, impulsive, or insane. I feel like some girl did something to him in the past, and now he can't see women with a clear perspective. I'm not looking for strong female characters or weak ones. I'm looking for characters who happen to be female. So I'm not saying this for some diversity quota. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't right there.

Now, on to something more fun. A Guardians of the Galaxy book from Graphic Audio! It's called Collect Them All.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10592 on: June 22, 2017, 12:48:14 AM »
Finished The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Stavely. 4/5
My least favorite book in the series, which is sad considering it's 900 pages. There's a lot to like here though. The story is engaging and you never know what direction it's going to take, but nothing shocking. If Staveley hadn't been so concerned about religiously sticking to his four povs, we could've had about 4 scenes that would've made for awesome dramatic build-up, but instead I had to listen to someone else talk about it, which was no fun. The ending was... Not as dramatic as it could've been. There was only one moment where I cheered, but there was the potential for so much more to happen. A lot of chapters ended trying to be philosophical and original, but they didn't hit right. Maybe it's because I've read enough Fantasy books with a similar message that the point can't be driven home.
I didn't realize this about Staveley until book 3, but I feel like he has a problem with women. Any major female character is depicted as emotional, impulsive, or insane. I feel like some girl did something to him in the past, and now he can't see women with a clear perspective. I'm not looking for strong female characters or weak ones. I'm looking for characters who happen to be female. So I'm not saying this for some diversity quota. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't right there.

Now, on to something more fun. A Guardians of the Galaxy book from Graphic Audio! It's called Collect Them All.

I liked Gwenna, but Adare was often irritating in the decisions she made. I still really liked the series as a whole. The second book was my favorite, and I think Staveley has a lot of potential to grow into one of the better writers in the genre.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10593 on: June 22, 2017, 01:04:30 AM »
I agree with you about the second book, despite it's glaring plot flaws. I hope to read something else by him in the future, but I'll wait until someone points out a rational woman character. At this point, he needs to write one to prove that he can do it. At least in my mind.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10594 on: June 22, 2017, 01:21:22 AM »
Adare is why I've stalled in the thick of the third book and not listened to it for months. She makes me want to scream every time she says or does anything. I simply don't believe that someone who was set up as so smart, so capable with finances, etc. would be so idiotic.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10595 on: June 22, 2017, 04:50:37 AM »
I don't think she's idiotic. When it comes down to it, she's actually very smart. Her problem is that she's stupidly impulsive about certain things. Power for instance. She clings to it, and is insecure about losing it, which she has the right to be considering everything that happens to her. Also, she suffers from not knowing things that we do, making her actions seem more idiotic. She drives me up the walls, but then again, so do many people I know for various reasons.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10596 on: June 22, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
I loved the "idiocy" (my word) of people in "A Crown for Cold Silver" because they don't know what we know. It's one of the most realistic and engaging parts of that book (which drives me crazy for other reasons). But I never enjoyed with Adare. Meanwhile, you're much more charitable than I for her predicament. That probably bodes well for your future.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10597 on: June 22, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
Put down my Guardians of the Galaxy book for now. Maybe if I was bored enough, I would be enjoying it more, but I'm not. I have other things to read. Maybe one day when my braille display breaks or I leave it somewhere on accident, I'll come back to it.

Unfortunately, my next read doesn't look promising. I have to do my summer reading for college at some point, so I figure I'll knock it out in one go. It's called Outcasts United, a story about a refugee football team that began in Georgia. Maybe I'll find it more interesting than I expect? I hope? Maybe I'll imagine there all magic users in my head, to make the story better or something.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »
That's a strange book for college. I think I would struggle with that one.

Ive decided to read The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen, crime novel
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10599 on: June 22, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »
Finished Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. 5/5

Damn, freaking fantastic! Brilliant written passages, great dialogue banter and tons of graphic violence and backstabbing. What's not to love?

It may seem straightforward in its revenge story, but the beauty of it is the gradual revelation of facts. The main characters is wronged yes, but she's no saint either and various times I wondered if she actually didn't deserve everything she got. And her brother was even worse.

Shivers might've been the only one to feel sorry for as he was the only one trying to be better. Or maybe like Logen he was just lying to himself.

A very curious cast regarding their quirks and abilities. A good thing because this book is so long, nobody has really any admirable trait and yet it was a blast to read about all these people.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10600 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »
Finished Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. 5/5

Damn, freaking fantastic! Brilliant written passages, great dialogue banter and tons of graphic violence and backstabbing. What's not to love?

It may seem straightforward in its revenge story, but the beauty of it is the gradual revelation of facts. The main characters is wronged yes, but she's no saint either and various times I wondered if she actually didn't deserve everything she got. And her brother was even worse.

Shivers might've been the only one to feel sorry for as he was the only one trying to be better. Or maybe like Logen he was just lying to himself.

A very curious cast regarding their quirks and abilities. A good thing because this book is so long, nobody has really any admirable trait and yet it was a blast to read about all these people.

Best Served Cold is my favorite Abercrombie I've one so far. I can't say I liked or related to any of the characters, but they were fun to read about in some kind of sick way.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10601 on: June 23, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »
I finished A Call to Duty by David Weber and Timothy Zahn, the first book in the prequel spin-off series from the Honor Harrington space navy books. I enjoyed it a lot. I don't think it particularly does anything special or original, but it seems to be a kind of story that I'm happy to hear over and over again with minor changes, so I've blazed through it in a few days.

Next up is going to be Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer, both because it's a recent(ish) purchase and for the reddit bingo Fantasy of Manners square.

Offline JCkang

« Reply #10602 on: June 23, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »
I finished The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French.  Absolutely loved it.  My review:

Half-Orcs Are People, Too.

This fun adventure with first-rate worldbuilding hides a complex plot. As a former D&D player, I am drawn to stories which break the stereotypical molds of fantasy races with spectacular worldbuilding. The Grey Bastards does that, and so much more, telling a tale from the perspective of a half-orc, Jackal.

Throughout most fantasy worlds, we’re not supposed to like half-orcs, but we can’t help but root for Jackal. He is utterly loyal to his “hoof,” one of nine half-orc clans that defend the badlands between orc and human territories on their war boars. If anything motivates him more than protecting his friends, it’s a pretty face, and an overconfidence which gets him in trouble. These foibles make him all the more endearing; while helping to move the plot along in a dangerous place, inhabited by insane Centaurs who go on murderous rampages, Halfling religious fanatics, marsh demons, wild elf tribes, and various humans.

To the half-orc vernacular, each of these groups, and everything around them, has a unique name. Frails, Thicks, Waddlers, Ticklers, Hoofs, Thrice-Bloods… the author organically works the slang in through the dialog and point of view so that it becomes second nature to the reader.

The large cast is mostly memorable through chemistry and dialog, none more so than the mysterious Half-Orc Wizard who arrives out of nowhere and turns Jackal’s life upside down. Each twist and turn in the plot left me awestruck in the brilliance of the story.

If I have any complaint, it’s that some parts feel rushed and telling. Throughout the climax, the sensory filtering put distance between me and Jackal. In addition, some of the synonyms for “said” felt forced throughout, creating a distraction from an otherwise smooth read. It’s because of these small issues that I can only give Grey Bastards a 4.99 out of 5.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10603 on: June 23, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
I finished The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French.  Absolutely loved it.  My review:

Half-Orcs Are People, Too.

This fun adventure with first-rate worldbuilding hides a complex plot. As a former D&D player, I am drawn to stories which break the stereotypical molds of fantasy races with spectacular worldbuilding. The Grey Bastards does that, and so much more, telling a tale from the perspective of a half-orc, Jackal.

Throughout most fantasy worlds, we’re not supposed to like half-orcs, but we can’t help but root for Jackal. He is utterly loyal to his “hoof,” one of nine half-orc clans that defend the badlands between orc and human territories on their war boars. If anything motivates him more than protecting his friends, it’s a pretty face, and an overconfidence which gets him in trouble. These foibles make him all the more endearing; while helping to move the plot along in a dangerous place, inhabited by insane Centaurs who go on murderous rampages, Halfling religious fanatics, marsh demons, wild elf tribes, and various humans.

To the half-orc vernacular, each of these groups, and everything around them, has a unique name. Frails, Thicks, Waddlers, Ticklers, Hoofs, Thrice-Bloods… the author organically works the slang in through the dialog and point of view so that it becomes second nature to the reader.

The large cast is mostly memorable through chemistry and dialog, none more so than the mysterious Half-Orc Wizard who arrives out of nowhere and turns Jackal’s life upside down. Each twist and turn in the plot left me awestruck in the brilliance of the story.

If I have any complaint, it’s that some parts feel rushed and telling. Throughout the climax, the sensory filtering put distance between me and Jackal. In addition, some of the synonyms for “said” felt forced throughout, creating a distraction from an otherwise smooth read. It’s because of these small issues that I can only give Grey Bastards a 4.99 out of 5.

That 0.01 is a deal breaker for me. Can't read it now.  ;)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #10604 on: June 23, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »
Light Dawning by Ty Arthur. Quick read so far. Self-pubbed deal I snatched up when impulse buying. Author could lay off the awkward descriptions and maybe focus on "show, don't tell" a little lot more but eh. Solidly average I'd probably say. 
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky