August 23, 2019, 08:10:21 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1716549 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10455 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:53 AM »
Finished John Dies At The End. 4.75/5
Really solid book. I just had a couple of problems. At the end, there's a plot twist that feels like it's there just to be cool. But when talking to someone about it, they asked "Well why did it happen?" I couldn't answer that question, which makes me sad. Maybe it'll be fleshed out in book 2? It also got into a lot more multiuniverse and time travel stuff, which took me out of the book for a bit because of how complex it got. I will still say that David Wong is a genius for coming up with the things that he did, even though I don't fully understand them. It's not because they don't make sense. It's because I need to reread the book at some point to fully grasp what happened. Kind of like Inception. I have yet to meet a person who understood the whole plot on their first viewing.

I was questioning whether I would continue on to the sequel, because I figured it would further the multiuniverse/time travel thing. However, after reading the description, I bought it. I'm sure it will, but I don't care, because the spiders sound cool.
Book 2 is totally different, but with the same characters and location. I thought it was even better than the first one. He had clearly grown as a writer.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10456 on: May 23, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »
I finally finished Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle yesterday. Really good and kind of odd, but strong on the historical feel. I was a bit wary going in because I'd previously read some of her early work (Rats and Gargoyles, I think) and not really got on with it, and this one is 1100 pages long, but luckily it was very good, and I'll have to read some of her other later books in future.

On to Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny next, mainly because it's really short and I've been reading Ash for the whole of May to date.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10457 on: May 23, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »
I finally finished Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle yesterday. Really good and kind of odd, but strong on the historical feel. I was a bit wary going in because I'd previously read some of her early work (Rats and Gargoyles, I think) and not really got on with it, and this one is 1100 pages long, but luckily it was very good, and I'll have to read some of her other later books in future.
So glad you've liked it! That was also the last one from her that I've read, but unlike you, I've been going backwards in time - the latest ones are also really good.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #10458 on: May 23, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
I had been going to put Ash onto my mental TBR list but finding out its 1100 pages has dampened that, I have to admit...
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: May 23, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
I had been going to put Ash onto my mental TBR list but finding out its 1100 pages has dampened that, I have to admit...

Yeah that's too short for me, like them a bit bigger so I can get invested in the characters.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10460 on: May 23, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »
Read the first couple of chapters and then decide if you want to continue: I bet you do ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »
Went for William Shakespeare's Star Wars:  Verily a new hope.  Been sitting on my shelf since Xmas and needed something to distract me from the awfulness of the news.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Revan

« Reply #10462 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:36 PM »
Fitz, Fitz, Fitz.

Review of the last book in spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The last, and probably the best book in the Realm of the Elderlings.

Realm of the Elderlings has been a part of my life. Being a big fantasy fan meant that I had to read this books. And boy, I was in a treat. Starting with the first Fitz trilogy, and then continuing with my favorite 'Liveship Traders' to read the second Fitz trilogy, the not-that-good Rain Wild Chronicles, and to finish everything with what I started, Fitz and his final trilogy.

This book was awesome in every aspect. Not only that the main story was great, but the way it combined all the loose ties from the previous saga. I was hoping that I will see again not only Kettricken, Needle and Verity but also the Liveship Trader protagonists. And to my pleasant surprise, Paragon, Brashen and Althea had large roles in this book, with Vivacia and Wintrow making interesting appearances too. It gave the feeling that this isn't just the conclusion to the Fitz's story, but it is the conclusion of a 16 books epic story.

As for the book itself, it continued where the second book was finished. The story of Fitz trying to find the little Bee, and the story of Bee trying to survive and the transformation she had to do to achieve that. A great story, with a lot of nice moments, and more dragons than in any other Fitz book. But the real strength of the book - as I said in the previous paragraph - was how the author combined everything from the entire saga and by the end of the book, there was no question left unanswered, no loose tie.

The ending was bittersweet. While someone might have preferred a happy ending, I think that it was the only ending it made sense. The Fitz and the Fool achieved pretty much everything they had to achieve, and they returned the dragons in the world. The freeing of liveships was something I really loved to see and something I had lost hope since the end of the Liveship Traders. The emotion on that happening, and the side effects were described in a very nice way from Althea Vestrit. And we saw everyone important to Fitz, Hobb really didn't forget everything.

An epic conclusion to an epic saga. And now I just see that Robin Hobb has surpassed Robert Jordan as the author I have read most books from (16 books, all in the Elderling saga). Who said that woman cannot write good fantasy books?

Goodbye, FitzChivalry Farseer, my old friend! It was good to know you.

Offline Peat

« Reply #10463 on: May 24, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
Read the first couple of chapters and then decide if you want to continue: I bet you do ;D

I will if I happen to see it in the library :)

Although tbh, I'm dialling down the amount of fantasy I read and heading back towards other genres for a while.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: May 24, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
Brother's Ruin by Emma Newman.

My first book by Emma, enjoying it so far I think it might be a 5/5

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10465 on: May 24, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
Read Redshirts by John Scalzi. 5/5

I'm in a massive reading slump and I think this cured it.

It doesn't start very well BUT as you progress you'll see that's totally intended. It's later into the book that you figure it out it's actually a satire of science fiction in general, specially TV shows of it. Some fourth wall moments and even some good serious and philosophical bits at the ending.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: May 25, 2017, 01:43:44 AM »
Put Long Way to a Small Angry Planet on hold. Unfortunately haven't been able to get into it.

Read Monstrous a self pubbed book I'd had for a while. A bit quick paced, but overall enjoyed it. Not much of an ending, think the authors were trying to lure into a buy of book 2.

Have moved on to The Fifth Season. Enjoying it a lot so far. Didn't like the first chapter. The chapters in second person were a tad off-putting at first, particularly when so far it's the character I find least relateable, but have gotten used to it. Has gotten much better the more I read. Really like the worldbuilding, and am excited to see where it goes.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10467 on: May 25, 2017, 01:54:04 AM »
Finished This Book Is Full of Spiders by David Wong. 4/5
I had an an experience that I've never had before. Wow, that sentence sucks. Anyway, at the end, I agreed with the "villains" more than I did the "heroes." I think the protagonists have actually caused more problems, and if the villains had won, the world would be better off for it. But now, stuff is going to come back and haunt them later on, all because they were determined. Stupid protagonists. The sad thing is, at some points they stop and realize this, but then something crazy happens and they start trying to "save the world" all over again. Like I said, I've never had this happen.
Also, I don't think the character development was as good in this one, and there weren't as many cool scenes. Although I want that damn furgun! Overall, it was a unique take on a popular story, that made me laugh a little and think about life in new ways. Definitely recommend this series for people who want their mind messed with.

Tomorrow, I shall start this Chronicle Of The Unhewn Throne and see if I'm on board with it. I hope so!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10468 on: May 25, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »
Finished This Book Is Full of Spiders by David Wong. 4/5
I had an an experience that I've never had before. Wow, that sentence sucks. Anyway, at the end, I agreed with the "villains" more than I did the "heroes." I think the protagonists have actually caused more problems, and if the villains had won, the world would be better off for it. But now, stuff is going to come back and haunt them later on, all because they were determined. Stupid protagonists. The sad thing is, at some points they stop and realize this, but then something crazy happens and they start trying to "save the world" all over again. Like I said, I've never had this happen.
Also, I don't think the character development was as good in this one, and there weren't as many cool scenes. Although I want that damn furgun! Overall, it was a unique take on a popular story, that made me laugh a little and think about life in new ways. Definitely recommend this series for people who want their mind messed with.

Tomorrow, I shall start this Chronicle Of The Unhewn Throne and see if I'm on board with it. I hope so!
I think after I read John Dies at the End I said it was kind of like if Ben Edlund, Stephen King and Douglas Adams all spent a night inhaling illegal vegetable matter and said 'Hey, let's write a book!'
Seeing as you did like them I'd give The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde a try, it's the same sort of mind messing, but in a totally different way, fiction suddenly becomes very real.
You also may like Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #10469 on: May 25, 2017, 06:37:46 AM »
I've just finished The Way of Shadows (first book of The Night Angel Trilogy) and absolutely loved it! I almost DNF'd the book within the first 50 pages, and I'm so glad that I hadn't done that. It's my first time ever reading a grim-dark fantasy book, so it's all very new and well "dark" to me, although that adds up to what makes Brent Week's world seemed so realistic and approriately gritty.

The action scenes were splendid, befitting of all the praises I've heard about one of Brent Week's strengths being on action sequences. What I hadn't expected to enjoy is a part of romance between Kylar and Elene. To be frank, I hadn't felt that Brent Week's strengths lay much in romance, but the last scene between Kylar and Elene totally impressed me. Kylar's words were direct and to the point, romantic yet not in overly cheesy, and there were many phrases I totally hadn't expected to hear in a love proposal. ("But I didn't ask you to fuck! Kylar said") Now that was unexpected!

A swift, action-packed grim dark fantasy I would recommend to anyone who love a good blend of action, grim-dark settings, and undeniably cool assassins leaping across buildings using magic. A solid 4.5/5!