March 30, 2017, 05:52:30 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 999072 times)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10200 on: March 20, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
I did a leap of faith and bought the  Imperial Radch series paperbacks off Foyles using a gift card plus another pound off for signing up to their loyalty card,

If I love it I know who to thank or to dish out the blame too so thank you to the members who recommended this series in advance   ;D

I hope you haven't created a problem of expectations, making it impossible for the books to reach them :P
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Online S. K. InkSlinger

« Reply #10201 on: March 21, 2017, 03:28:41 AM »
I'm pretty sad to say that I just DNF'd Mistborn: Secret History only after about 2 days of reading it. I started the book feeling tremendously excited for the upcoming revelation from Kelsier's POV. The first sentence alone, "Kelsier burnt the elevent metal." made my skin crawl with anticipation. However, as the story dragged on, the tale just became a repetition of Kelsier having twisting and drawn conversations with Fuzz (Preservation as called by the survivor) and Kelsier spashing around his little pool the Well of Ascension without having anything better to do. The conversation with Preservation and Drifter felt very much different from other god to human conversations in Sanderson's books, filled with an attemt to be funny but not actually reaching it. The book probably had some great revelation about Kelsier's involvement in the trilogy later on (I did skim to the back pages out of an unstoppable curiosity and boredom), but I just couldn't continue on with the front parts of the story any longer. Kelsier was maddened by boredom during his stay at the Well of Ascension, and as the reader, so was I.  :-\

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: March 21, 2017, 07:18:00 AM »
Finished Hearts and other dead things featuring a couple of stories and poems from Bradley. It was a fun read for a good cause.

Started the Red Knight by Miles Cameron. It's irritating me with the details

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: March 21, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
Finished Retribution Falls. Liked this quite a bit. Good action, enjoyed the worldbuilding. Nice to read something a bit different. Liked all the characters, though
Spoiler for Hiden:
I Felt that Frey grew a bit too much as a character, considering how little he actually interacted with the crew.

Started The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. So far it's quite the nothing of a book. Listening to it on audiobook and about 3 hours in (of about 14-15). The bulk of it to this point has been a series of long-winded info dumps as the main character is literally introduced to the rest of the cast. I don't know if this is a staple of "we're on a ship!" books, since Retribution Falls did this too, but there it was like 10 minutes top, not two and a half hours.

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #10204 on: March 21, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
I'm pretty sad to say that I just DNF'd Mistborn: Secret History only after about 2 days of reading it. I started the book feeling tremendously excited for the upcoming revelation from Kelsier's POV. The first sentence alone, "Kelsier burnt the elevent metal." made my skin crawl with anticipation. However, as the story dragged on, the tale just became a repetition of Kelsier having twisting and drawn conversations with Fuzz (Preservation as called by the survivor) and Kelsier spashing around his little pool the Well of Ascension without having anything better to do. The conversation with Preservation and Drifter felt very much different from other god to human conversations in Sanderson's books, filled with an attemt to be funny but not actually reaching it. The book probably had some great revelation about Kelsier's involvement in the trilogy later on (I did skim to the back pages out of an unstoppable curiosity and boredom), but I just couldn't continue on with the front parts of the story any longer. Kelsier was maddened by boredom during his stay at the Well of Ascension, and as the reader, so was I.  :-\

Secret History does seem to be a pretty divisive work. I'm in the camp of 'absolutely loved it', but I can see why others find it less engaging.

Have you read much of Sanderson outside of Mistborn? I think Secret History is more enjoyable the more invested in figuring out the Cosmere and links between books you are.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10205 on: March 21, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
I'm pretty sad to say that I just DNF'd Mistborn: Secret History only after about 2 days of reading it.

Secret History does seem to be a pretty divisive work. I'm in the camp of 'absolutely loved it', but I can see why others find it less engaging.

Have you read much of Sanderson outside of Mistborn? I think Secret History is more enjoyable the more invested in figuring out the Cosmere and links between books you are.
I haven't read Secret History - or indeed the comment this was a reply to, once I noticed that it was about to talk about Secret History - but I kind of hate the whole idea of the Cosmere, and wish the component series were allowed to stand apart.

Maybe I'll change my mind once I've read Stormlight, I don't know. I'm just not a fan of having a shared universe where there's no need. I kind of hate the Marvel and DC thing. I think you're only as strong as your weakest link, and these shared worlds shoehorn in a lot of weak links.

Offline Alex Hormann

« Reply #10206 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
I'm pretty sad to say that I just DNF'd Mistborn: Secret History only after about 2 days of reading it.

I haven't read Secret History - or indeed the comment this was a reply to, once I noticed that it was about to talk about Secret History - but I kind of hate the whole idea of the Cosmere, and wish the component series were allowed to stand apart.

Maybe I'll change my mind once I've read Stormlight, I don't know. I'm just not a fan of having a shared universe where there's no need. I kind of hate the Marvel and DC thing. I think you're only as strong as your weakest link, and these shared worlds shoehorn in a lot of weak links.

I agree with you about Marvel. I only watch Agents of SHIELD, and that has become borderline incomprehensible at times without knowledge of the films to back it up.

But I think Sanderson's going about it the right way. Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker all stand alone perfectly well, with the Cosmere being a nice addition for people like me, but by no means necessary. Secret History and, to a lesser extent, Stormlight are more upfront about the Cosmere side of things. It' slowly being built up though, rather than being dumped on you all at once, like the DC films seem to be.

I'll also say that I find it a lot easier to keep up with the Cosmere than it is to watch all the films and TV series for Marvel/DC.

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: March 21, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »
Finished Retribution Falls. Liked this quite a bit. Good action, enjoyed the worldbuilding. Nice to read something a bit different. Liked all the characters, though
Spoiler for Hiden:
I Felt that Frey grew a bit too much as a character, considering how little he actually interacted with the crew.

Started The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. So far it's quite the nothing of a book. Listening to it on audiobook and about 3 hours in (of about 14-15). The bulk of it to this point has been a series of long-winded info dumps as the main character is literally introduced to the rest of the cast. I don't know if this is a staple of "we're on a ship!" books, since Retribution Falls did this too, but there it was like 10 minutes top, not two and a half hours.

@Justan Henner, please don't give up on LWtaSAP yet. Agree the beginning does involve a great deal of getting to know a very unusual group of characters and the lay-out of the ship.  You need to have firmly in your mind how they are in your imagination because a lot more action comes later and affects all of them in different ways. I loved this book and recently re-read it before I read A Closed and Common Orbit, which is different again, but I also liked . The themes of both these books highlight the various problems of accepting and recognising diversity, amongst many other things, but there is a great deal of humour and it is not rammed down your throat.
Do hope you eventually finish and find it was worthwhile. ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:11:22 PM by Lady_Ty »
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Online S. K. InkSlinger

« Reply #10208 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:08 AM »

That might actually explains a lot. I have finished the Bands of Mourning, butb esides the Mistborn series, I've never read any of Brandon Sanderson's other works. I have bought book 1 and 2 of The Stormlight Archives, but there's still a lot of books in my TBR list to reach there. I guess it's also probably because I've been binging too much on Sanderson's work, going from Book 1 of Mistborn to book 6. I'll take a break to read books from other writers for now, and I will probably come back to finish Secret History some day in the future.  ;)

Offline Peat

« Reply #10209 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
I'm doing some re-reading because I'm busy and stressed and I'm on the struggle bus for finding new stuff I like, so I recently reminded myself that Ravenheart is the greatest fantasy book ever written.

Offline Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: March 22, 2017, 07:49:26 AM »
In your view ;-) everyone else will have a different opinion on the greatest fantasy book ever written here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:53:16 AM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10211 on: March 22, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »
In your view ;-) everyone else will have a different opinion on the greatest fantasy book ever written here.
Actually, I would have a damn hard time to narrow it down to one...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10212 on: March 22, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
The David Gemmell Book?

I'm not sure Ravenheart would even be in my top 5 Gemmell books, but I'd sure enjoy reading them all again to find out.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: March 22, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
I finished Dreams of Steel by Glen Cook. 5/5

Now we have Lady's POV (and a few others), there's so much mischief going on with all factions involved. And another major ending.

Already started Bleak Seasons, the 6th book in The Chronicles of the Black Company.
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Peat

« Reply #10214 on: March 22, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »
The David Gemmell Book?

I'm not sure Ravenheart would even be in my top 5 Gemmell books, but I'd sure enjoy reading them all again to find out.

Madness!

What would be your top 5?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/