June 01, 2020, 03:50:04 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1990985 times)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10080 on: February 25, 2017, 02:43:12 AM »
Well, raced through Storm Front a single day. Far exceeded my expectations, and now I have a few more books on my wishlist. Safe to say I'm now an Urban Fantasy convert.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10081 on: February 25, 2017, 11:30:05 PM »
Well, raced through Storm Front a single day. Far exceeded my expectations, and now I have a few more books on my wishlist. Safe to say I'm now an Urban Fantasy convert.
I'm not one of them, but many people say Storm Front is one of Butcher's poorest entries into the Dresden Files, so you're in for a bit of a treat, Alex.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #10082 on: February 26, 2017, 12:18:40 AM »
I'm not one of them, but many people say Storm Front is one of Butcher's poorest entries into the Dresden Files, so you're in for a bit of a treat, Alex.

I don't really get the hate for Storm Front. Is it is good as later entries in the series? No. But I'd still venture to say it's better than most other urban fantasy out there.

A lot of people complain about its heavy use of standard urban fantasy tropes, but I think many of those tropes have become such in large part because of The Dresden Files.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10083 on: February 26, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »
I finished Black Wolves by Kate Elliot. 3/5

The first ~90 pages really gripped me and I liked the characters, the world, the demon lore and the implicit and explicit conflict and tension for both present and future.

Then comes a massive 44 year time skip. The initial characters are very old (60+ and 70+) or dead. There's a whole new cast, the world and some customs have changed, and so on.

I struggled with the next ~90 pages but then got used to it. BUT even for 800 pages, this book was way overpopulated.
There are a lot of factions with their own secret agendas and power plays, and none of them really get enough page time. In the beginning we are shown things very well. But after the time skip, the characterization of most characters boil down to us being told by other characters about their traits and behavior. And other descriptions that include characters speaking like encyclopedias.

So that means the book would've to be even longer.

Anyway, I believe the initial story - Atani growing and discovering himself, Dannarah's refusal to resignation to fate and becoming a reeve (a giant eagle rider), Kellas secret relationships and spy/assassin jobs and Ajinhoshi as king was a pretty damn good plotline by itself.

Regarding Atani (who we find out after the time skip that he was murdered 22 years ago), the how and why of his murder was really intriguing and kept me going.
Elliot established him really well, and it says something when a character who is dead for 90% of a 800 page book leaves such impression, but that also say something about the main story after the time skip.

Anyway, I wrote a lot on GR about Black Wolves, but while it had some good things, I think I would have enjoyed it much more without the time skip, bold as it was.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: February 26, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »

I don't really get the hate for Storm Front. Is it is good as later entries in the series? No. But I'd still venture to say it's better than most other urban fantasy out there.

A lot of people complain about its heavy use of standard urban fantasy tropes, but I think many of those tropes have become such in large part because of The Dresden Files.

Doubtless I missed some tropes by virtue of being new to Urban Fantasy, but there were a lot of noir detective tropes going on which I really enjoyed. I couldn't help but think of Miller from The Expanse when picturing Harry, as they're both noir detectives mixed in with another genre. There were a few things about the magic system I wasn't entirely sold on (faux Latin), but the lampshading and self-reference won me over.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10085 on: February 26, 2017, 03:03:18 AM »
I need a counterbalance to all the happiness and festivities going on.

So after a long time reading novellas and standalones, I'm gonna start a long series that has been on my radar for a while and I think might be just right up my alley.

The Black Company by Glen Cook it is  8)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: February 26, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
I need a counterbalance to all the happiness and festivities going on.

So after a long time reading novellas and standalones, I'm gonna start a long series that has been on my radar for a while and I think might be just right up my alley.

Check out its book club threads and add stuff if you want. :) Wasn't bad but not entirely my cup of tea. Eclipse loved it, if I remember right.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: February 26, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
I loved it but I'm one of the few who do along with Steven Erikson and Hedin  ;D so least I'm in good company
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10088 on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »

I still say Stormfront is way better than books 4 and 5. Those are the worst books in the series. They're not bad, just weak.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10089 on: February 26, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »
I've just finished Twelve kings (inside the book it was called "Twelve kings in Sharakhai", so in the UK we get both names hehe)
I think my expectations were too high, after the great reviews and reccs from trusted people, and that's the main reason why I only gave it 4 stars. It didn't really capture me until the last 150-200 pages, which were actually quite good (without them, it would have been 3 or 3.5 stars).

The flashbacks didn't work very well for me, explaining things that had been mentioning in the present time many chapters ago, so you had to keep checking back (according to the acknowledgements, it's all Justin Landon's fault, who told Bradley to write more backstory ::) )
One day when I re-read it, I will jump all flashbacks, I bet it's going to feel a more interesting book.

Some things were difficult to imagine, as he used lots of names of arab things that I have no idea what they are. There was one though, an imagined name, that was quite cool: imagine her "snowboarding" on the sand ;D And the whole idea of ships navigating the desert, running on sand driven by the wind, was also great (although I wonder what happens when the wind stops - they can't exactly row, can they?)

However, the last pages, and actions/events, have guaranteed that I will read the next book (already in my library) to know more about what happens next :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:59:46 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Yopla

« Reply #10090 on: February 26, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »

The first books are quite different from each other AND from the rest of the series. I found some of the books very boring, but some of the characters are awesome !

I've just read the last 3 pages of this topic and I've seen so many books I never heard about... but I'm gonna try to read them all.
Bouh.

Offline JCkang

« Reply #10091 on: February 27, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
I'm reading Teeth of the God by Sarah Wilson.  I'm about 1/3 in, and really enjoying the South Asian World building and unique magic system.  The heroine is somewhat bratty, but she's growing on me.  Kind of like mold.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #10092 on: February 27, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »
Trying to get into John Gwynne's Malice and maybe I've a bad case of the grumpiness, but I'm really struggling to see what's making it so highly rated by others and it contains a fair few of my pet hates. Right now thumping through it in the hope I find something hooks.

Obviously you don't read the forums @Peat  ;D I guess the sequels are better through.

To add another data point, I finished Ruin (Book #3) this weekend and didn't care for it at all.  I might read the last book at a later time just to see how it finishes but the series has gone into the "Just Not For Me" pile.

I loved [Black Company] but I'm one of the few who do along with Steven Erikson and Hedin  ;D so least I'm in good company

This reminds me that I still have some books to read, might make them my next read.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10093 on: February 27, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
Oh well, not all books are for everyone :)

I've started Neil Gaiman's Trigger warning, a collection of (weird) short stories!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #10094 on: February 27, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
Oh well, not all books are for everyone :)

I've started Neil Gaiman's Trigger warning, a collection of (weird) short stories!

Tell me how that goes! I've been meaning to pick up some Gaiman recently, but couldn't decide where to get back into it. Last book I read was American Gods, which fit nicely into my "epic" bookshelf on Goodreads. Just..so so good.
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com