July 18, 2019, 12:39:34 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1690396 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10065 on: February 23, 2017, 12:53:42 AM »
I finished listening to "Uprooted." What a fun, interesting book. I got a little bored in the capital city at one point, but otherwise, super.

It was interesting to think about the concerns some folks have had about the abduction angle. I get it. But I think it was handled intelligently and with emotional logic.

All-in-all, it makes me want to read Novik's other work. Anyone have an opinion about her books?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10066 on: February 23, 2017, 04:23:02 AM »
I finished listening to "Uprooted." What a fun, interesting book. I got a little bored in the capital city at one point, but otherwise, super.

It was interesting to think about the concerns some folks have had about the abduction angle. I get it. But I think it was handled intelligently and with emotional logic.

All-in-all, it makes me want to read Novik's other work. Anyone have an opinion about her books?
The Temeraire books are quite fun (and very different from Uprooted), but I'd stop after the first 3 or so. She turned what really should have been 3 books into 9 and largely ruined it in the process.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Anand

« Reply #10067 on: February 23, 2017, 06:47:36 AM »
Stranger of tempest by tom lloyd- its about a mercenary band and  a guy with a murky past(cliche!)but there are magic guns n stuff that makes it unique. I dont know- nothing from 2016 excited me except Wrath.not even brent week's. But this one really has lot of promise of premise atleast. Lets see how it pans out.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #10068 on: February 23, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »

It is to do with demand, as you suspect - if not enough people download the audible version, they won't record the sequels (it doesn't seem to matter so much if the book/ebook itself was selling really well). I guess to a publisher it makes sense, as employing a narrator/recording studio is an extra expense, and if the book is selling well but there's little demand for audio, judging by the first book, why bother? That should all be taken with a pinch of salt, because actually as the author I know very little about it and certainly don't have any control over it. Happily The Ninth Rain will have an audio version.

As a side note, @-ing me on here doesn't give me notifications any more...

Thank you for comment, senny dreadful. Audible also replied to my last tweet and said it also happens when they haven't secured rights to a book, so will wait and hope. Very happy to hear The Ninth Rain will be audible,  my book will turn up soon but one day I hope to get the audible as well.

The narrator suggested slightly Welsh accents for some of the characters in The Ninth Rain and I am VERY excited to listen to it myself  ;D
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10069 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »

The Temeraire books are quite fun (and very different from Uprooted), but I'd stop after the first 3 or so. She turned what really should have been 3 books into 9 and largely ruined it in the process.
I second this!
Although I've continued reading the others, from the library, when I want some simple comfort reading (I know it's not a very good endorsement, but I say it honestly, sometimes you just want 'easy books')
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10070 on: February 23, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »

It is to do with demand, as you suspect - if not enough people download the audible version, they won't record the sequels (it doesn't seem to matter so much if the book/ebook itself was selling really well). I guess to a publisher it makes sense, as employing a narrator/recording studio is an extra expense, and if the book is selling well but there's little demand for audio, judging by the first book, why bother? That should all be taken with a pinch of salt, because actually as the author I know very little about it and certainly don't have any control over it. Happily The Ninth Rain will have an audio version.

Thank you for comment, senny dreadful. Audible also replied to my last tweet and said it also happens when they haven't secured rights to a book, so will wait and hope. Very happy to hear The Ninth Rain will be audible,  my book will turn up soon but one day I hope to get the audible as well.

The narrator suggested slightly Welsh accents for some of the characters in The Ninth Rain and I am VERY excited to listen to it myself  ;D

Slightly Welsh I can get on board with, but I remember (very)American accents voicing the Scottish characters in one of my stories and...*wince*

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #10071 on: February 23, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
Ninth Rain has appeared on my Kindle this morning, and I have an hour left in Who Killed Sherlock Holmes?  So I'll be starting that tonight.

When did I start talking about the time I have left in a book rather than pages left to read??  Modern technology, eh?

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: February 23, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »

Slightly Welsh I can get on board with, but I remember (very)American accents voicing the Scottish characters in one of my stories and...*wince*

Toni Green, the narrator for The Copper Promise was excellent and differentiated all the characters perfectly as well as capturing their personalities. Hope she will do the rest of the series eventually.   
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: February 24, 2017, 02:43:08 AM »
Finally finished The Massacre of Mankind. Not perfect by any means, but better than I was expecting.

Next up, inspired by January's writing contest, is Storm Front by Jim Butcher.

Offline Yopla

« Reply #10074 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
Today (and for the last 6 months), I've been reading the Wheel of Time (I'm a "little" late, I know but I started reading in english not so long ago), chapter 7 of "The towers of midnight".

And I must say I was a little afraid that Sanderson's hand will differ from Jordan's, but no and it's really pleasant to read for now.
Bouh.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: February 24, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »
Twelve kings

Too many flashbacks, what makes it worse is you already know what will happen in the flashbacks and I don't like the MC she makes some strange decisions.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Peat

« Reply #10076 on: February 24, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
My reading pile now currently consists of the Woodbridge Press anthology Journeys, The Blue Mountain by GRR MartinMatthews, Malice by John Gwynne, and the Ninth Rain by someone or other. Never heard of them. Draws nice gryphons though :p

I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10077 on: February 24, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
Twelve kings

Too many flashbacks, what makes it worse is you already know what will happen in the flashbacks and I don't like the MC she makes some strange decisions.
I'm around page 420 and I feel the same... really not capturing me, as much as I wanted to :-\
More when I finish...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline youandibooks

• Tribute
  • Silence is a true friend who never betrays
    • View Profile
    • You and I Books
« Reply #10078 on: February 24, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »
I have a couple of ARC's that I need to look at so will start reading Chris Sharp - Cold Counsel or Theodore Brun - A Might Dawn. Haven't decided which yet, though. I finished Tor's Emma Newman - Brothers Ruin yesterday which was pretty awesome. x
"You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that have happened to me." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Check out my blog - www.youandibooks.wordpress.com
Check out my reviews - www.fantasybookreview.co.uk
Twitter - @youandibooks

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10079 on: February 25, 2017, 12:54:09 AM »
finished Apothecary Melchior and the Mystery of St Olaf's translated from the Estonian to English a good solis Historical fiction along the Brother Cadfel lines. No mind blowing but competent.

Now onto Path of the Gods By Snorri Kristjansson all I can say is buy or borrow Swords of Good Men and read this series Epic Viking fantasy with real bite and beautifully worded.