December 15, 2019, 04:53:05 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1837350 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10050 on: February 21, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
Trying to get into John Gwynne's Malice and maybe I've a bad case of the grumpiness, but I'm really struggling to see what's making it so highly rated by others and it contains a fair few of my pet hates. Right now thumping through it in the hope I find something hooks.

Obviously you don't read the forums @Peat  ;D I guess the sequels are better through.

Hedin

Finished the book this weekend.  Again it was ok but yes it was very tropey (I don't think anything surprised me at all with the way it turned out).  I'll give the remaining books a go but I'm in no hurry for it.

DrNefario

A lot people rave about that series, but I don't yet see it myself. I've only read Malice, so far, and I thought it was kind of a decent fantasy primer. It's quite tropey, but is pretty solid, if unspectacular. The nice thing it did was give you a range of people who could go to the dark side or the light. I do intend to carry on with the series, though, so it must be doing something right

Raptori

I felt the same about Malice, then the second book was a noticeable improvement, then book three was absolutely brilliant and now I can't wait for the last one. Definitely worth continuing if you didn't outright dislike the first!

Yora

I started reading Malice. 9 chapters in there's still no plot and all the characters are children worrying about children stuff. I expected something completely different.

Ryan Mueller

I almost gave up on Malice before the halfway point, but I stuck with it and found the last part of the book rewarded me for my effort. The second book was great throughout. I still need to read the third and fourth.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:21:12 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10051 on: February 21, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
You didn't quote me, @Eclipse :'(
Is it because I loved them all? ;D

But @Peat, yeah, book one is quite tropey, but the others just get better and better :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: February 21, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »
You didn't quote me, @Eclipse :'(
Is it because I loved them all? ;D

But @Peat, yeah, book one is quite tropey, but the others just get better and better :D

Bea on Malice

Ohmygawd this is SO good :D I'm about halfway, and just want to keep reading and reading...
Ready to buy Valour when I get back to England!

I think Bea's a fan but I'm not too sure.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:31:06 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10053 on: February 21, 2017, 05:28:48 PM »
I clicked the recent topics and went right here. Without quotations it looked like it was Eclipse who was saying "Hey Bea, Ohmygawd this is SO good!!!!111!"

I really stopped dead for a second to understand what was going on and what would make Eclipse go fangirl mode.

EDIT: Hah, he edited his post  ::)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:36:35 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: February 21, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »
I want to be a fangirl!

ohmygawd Lanko is so handsome and an awesome writer!!!!111!

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10055 on: February 21, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »
I want to be a fangirl!

ohmygawd Lanko is so handsome and an awesome writer!!!!111!

I could use such fangirls! Don't forget to spread the word on Goodreads, Twitter, LibraryThing, Amazon, hang giant pictures of me in your room, etc

Offline Peat

« Reply #10056 on: February 21, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
Tbf, I never saw any of that (well maybe Raptori told me that but I can't recall), but I did see Bea's enthusiasm. So maybe that was what was misleading me into the belief everyone loved the first one. A relief to know its not just me being grumpy and hating split location starts and mangled cultural naming conventions.

Seriously though, why the hell are so many authors looking at mid-Wheel of Time and thinking "Wow, this is such a great way to tell stories, I think I'll start my book just like this"? Its... its like going into McDonalds and thinking "Wow, this food is great, I bet people will come for it even if its served slower, colder and more expensive". Which tbf is how the British fast food industry works, and there does seem to be a market for starting books with a gazillion different plot strands too, but it does so baffle me. Of all the things to look at and think "Oh, that's a feature, not a bug".

p.s. Eclipse, you'd make a great fangirl.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: February 22, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »
I read and enjoyed Malice by John Gwynne when it came out, just accepted it for what it was, a classic style new epic.* Maybe mostly listening on audible, or being a reader rather than a writer is an advantage in terms of enjoyment.  I get caught up in good characters, world and magic, only stiff dense prose or bad dialogue hits me enough to DNF. Although a bad narrator can be a killer too, and the one for Malice was hard work.

Which brings me to an on-going frustration. The only audible of The Faithful and The Fallen series is Malice. The only audible of The Copper Cat series is The Copper Promise.

@sennydreadful I know this is not under your control as an author, but please can you explain why this happens ? Is it to do with book/kindle sales numbers having to reach a minimum first? Audible only say 'sometimes a book has not been recorded." So why not in a series? I do my bit by requesting often but that's a drop in the ocean ;D

At least one of my favourite series seems to be  continued promptly because about to begin the last part of Shades of Magic series. A Conjuring of Light by V E Schwab came out today on audible and I'm looking forward to stepping back into the four Londons.

ETA * I did note on GR that I needed a map, so concede Peat has a good point about  split location starts and there was much jumping around.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:10:51 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10058 on: February 22, 2017, 04:13:33 AM »
In the middle of Wooding's Iron Jackal. Harkins' race was absolutely awesome. Really glad I picked it up again!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Peat

« Reply #10059 on: February 22, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »
Hey, I like tropey epics and routinely let the rest of it go hang if an element is good enough (I mean, I still really like Eddings...). I just don't think this is a good epic or has any good elements so far. Or even average ones. I'm hoping things resolve like they did with The Red Knight because right now the best thing to be said for this is it reads quick and a lot of people assure me it gets better.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #10060 on: February 22, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
I read and enjoyed Malice by John Gwynne when it came out, just accepted it for what it was, a classic style new epic.* Maybe mostly listening on audible, or being a reader rather than a writer is an advantage in terms of enjoyment.  I get caught up in good characters, world and magic, only stiff dense prose or bad dialogue hits me enough to DNF. Although a bad narrator can be a killer too, and the one for Malice was hard work.

Which brings me to an on-going frustration. The only audible of The Faithful and The Fallen series is Malice. The only audible of The Copper Cat series is The Copper Promise.

@sennydreadful I know this is not under your control as an author, but please can you explain why this happens ? Is it to do with book/kindle sales numbers having to reach a minimum first? Audible only say 'sometimes a book has not been recorded." So why not in a series? I do my bit by requesting often but that's a drop in the ocean ;D

At least one of my favourite series seems to be  continued promptly because about to begin the last part of Shades of Magic series. A Conjuring of Light by V E Schwab came out today on audible and I'm looking forward to stepping back into the four Londons.

ETA * I did note on GR that I needed a map, so concede Peat has a good point about  split location starts and there was much jumping around.

It is to do with demand, as you suspect - if not enough people download the audible version, they won't record the sequels (it doesn't seem to matter so much if the book/ebook itself was selling really well). I guess to a publisher it makes sense, as employing a narrator/recording studio is an extra expense, and if the book is selling well but there's little demand for audio, judging by the first book, why bother? That should all be taken with a pinch of salt, because actually as the author I know very little about it and certainly don't have any control over it. Happily The Ninth Rain will have an audio version.

As a side note, @-ing me on here doesn't give me notifications any more...
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #10061 on: February 22, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »
Having a re-read this year, The First Law, and already powered through The Blade Itself and half of Before They Are Hanged. Also this year read Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough (who can do no wrong in my humble opinion) which on the surface may not sound like fantasy but its sure worth a look even if so you can join the #WTFThatEnding crowd. Also read Norse Mythology by Niel Gaimen which is faultless. From tomorrow it'll be the start of a new trilogy with The Ninth Rain by @sennydreadful herself Jen Williams. 
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10062 on: February 22, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Now that you mention it. Me neither...
(I do miss the notifications I got when you were @-ed. ;))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10063 on: February 22, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »
Now that you mention it... Me neither....

Here sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I was surprised in a few threads to see myself summoned but with no notification. But in others it did notify me.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: February 22, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »

It is to do with demand, as you suspect - if not enough people download the audible version, they won't record the sequels (it doesn't seem to matter so much if the book/ebook itself was selling really well). I guess to a publisher it makes sense, as employing a narrator/recording studio is an extra expense, and if the book is selling well but there's little demand for audio, judging by the first book, why bother? That should all be taken with a pinch of salt, because actually as the author I know very little about it and certainly don't have any control over it. Happily The Ninth Rain will have an audio version.

Thank you for comment, senny dreadful. Audible also replied to my last tweet and said it also happens when they haven't secured rights to a book, so will wait and hope. Very happy to hear The Ninth Rain will be audible,  my book will turn up soon but one day I hope to get the audible as well.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic