March 24, 2017, 05:47:22 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 990501 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Je suis IKEA McIKEAface
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #9840 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
Are you taking a trip to Holy Wood?

Maybe ... *looks shyly at the ground*
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9841 on: January 09, 2017, 10:05:30 PM »
If I've read that Pratchett I don't remember :-[

Anyway, I've now started Emma Newman's All is fair, Split Worlds book 3.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Peat

« Reply #9842 on: January 09, 2017, 10:18:30 PM »
Haven't read that one in aaaaaaages. Man, why didn't I nominate Gaspode for greatest sidekick? I am a fool.

I need to get on with The Light Fantastic some time in my own re-read sometime.

Just finished The Woven Ring by MD Presley. Self-published novel about a bitter killer rescuing an almost completely unresponsive child and trying to avoid capture by just about everyone. Set in a setting based on the Civil War with some really interesting magic. Really liked the story, some really great twists.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: January 09, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »
I finished Bird Box, which was great! And now going through my unread pieces in Arcanum unbounded...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Lordoftheword

« Reply #9844 on: January 10, 2017, 12:11:32 AM »
Purchased my yearly Pratchett book, Mort, and I can't put it down.

I try to limit myself to one Pratchett book a year to get my out of the post-Christmas doldrums, but I think I'm just gonna buy them all and binge. So good!
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #9845 on: January 10, 2017, 03:52:19 AM »
Finished Gaiman's and Reaves' YA trilogy Interworld/the Silver Dream/Eternity's Wheel.
While the story was entertaining, there were lots of plot holes and magical teleportations to the realm of plot convenience.
If you've read the first book, you probably should leave it at that...

Next one will be Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan or maybe the Gonaway World by Nick Harkaway. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: January 10, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »
xiagan Theft of Swords, Theft of Swords -you have to meet Royce and Hadrian 8)
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: January 10, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
Since Pratchett popped up, and since there hasn't been a "What did you read in December?" thread, I might as well post this here.

Read Equal Rites in December thus fulfilling my overdue promise to read something from Bea's LibraryThing.
3/5
Good: Characters, and many funny moments and sentences/phrases.
Not so good: No chapters, somewhat irregural/odd paragraph breaks, and pretty bland plot.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Online Lordoftheword

« Reply #9848 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »
Since Pratchett popped up, and since there hasn't been a "What did you read in December?" thread, I might as well post this here.

Read Equal Rites in December thus fulfilling my overdue promise to read something from Bea's LibraryThing.
3/5
Not so good: No chapters, somewhat irregural/odd paragraph breaks, and pretty bland plot.

Equal Rites - maybe not his best, yeah.

Mort is standing out to me right now as top notch, however. I almost pissed myself laughing reading about Death trying to take on more worldly pursuits (ie: fly fishing  ;D). He's such a sad and hilarious character.
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9849 on: January 10, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »

3/5

Equal Rites - maybe not his best, yeah.

Mort is standing out to me right now as top notch, however. I almost pissed myself laughing reading about Death trying to take on more worldly pursuits (ie: fly fishing  ;D). He's such a sad and hilarious character.
Mort is my favourite Pratchett.

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #9850 on: January 11, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
The Burning Light by Bradley P. Beaulieu and Rob Ziegler has just become my first 5/5 book of the year. Next up is James Barclay's Beyond the Mists of Katura which is off to a good start.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #9851 on: January 11, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Finished The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Enjoyable introduction to the world of the Witcher. I liked it, but it didn't blow me away.

Online Lanko

• Writing Contest Regular, Sherlanko Holmes and Jiin Wei
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
I finished City of Stairs, by Robert Jackson Bennett. 3/5

Torn on rating it. It's reap with creativity and originality. I loved the worldbuilding, the concept of the divinities, the backstory (that looked as great as the Lord Ruler's in Mistborn). Magic is mysterious and wondrous, not set in stone like the Ten Commandments of Magic.

But it started front loading so much worldbuilding, backstory and names of people, gods, places and dates that I put it down various times and it was about more than a third or a half that I cared about someone or something happening.

From that point on was smooth sailing, with a few pet peeves here and there, but overall a memorable read.
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »

Torn on rating it. It's reap with creativity and originality. I loved the worldbuilding, the concept of the divinities, the backstory (that looked as great as the Lord Ruler's in Mistborn). Magic is mysterious and wondrous, not set in stone like the Ten Commandments of Magic.

But it started front loading so much worldbuilding, backstory and names of people, gods, places and dates that I put it down various times and it was about more than a third or a half that I cared about someone or something happening.

From that point on was smooth sailing, with a few pet peeves here and there, but overall a memorable read.

Read the second one then, it follows only the one character (the general who lost her hand!) and she kicks some SERIOUS ASS. I almost preferred it to the first book.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: January 12, 2017, 02:36:11 AM »

Read the second one then, it follows only the one character (the general who lost her hand!) and she kicks some SERIOUS ASS. I almost preferred it to the first book.

Liked both, the strangely beneficent, or otherwise, Gods concept was brilliant. I appreciated that slow detailed start to get imagine this seriously messed up Continent and it helped the second book fall into place more easily. Looking forward to City of Miracles, e-book already available to pre-order for pub 20th April, but  will be waiting for audible.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750