January 18, 2017, 10:11:53 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 934125 times)

Offline Lanko

• Writing Contest Regular, Sherlanko Holmes and Jiin Wei
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #9825 on: January 06, 2017, 03:56:02 AM »
Just read and finished the Mirrors truth for 5 hours straight. What a fantastic sequel it has none of the usual middle book slump for a trilogy and I have no clue what's going to happen next. The ending was terrific and as a bonus FF gets mentioned in the acknowledgements. I blame @Arry for that as she pushed the equally wonderful Beyond Redemption hard on the forum.

If you haven't read Beyond Redemption you need to do so. If you have The Mirrors Truth is just as good and is deserving of your investment and time.

Yes! Welcome to the mad side!
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #9826 on: January 06, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
Cold-forged Flame turned out to be pretty good, but I wonder how the sequel will build on it. Guess I'll find out in May.

I went to Hay-on-Wye the other day and came back with 18 new books, so I'm a little spoiled for choice as to what to read next. I'll probably go with Rise of the TaiGethen by James Barclay.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #9827 on: January 06, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »
Finished Arcanum Unbounded by Brandon Sanderson (or at least the stories I hadn't already read).

My favorite by far was Edgedancer. Lift is so much fun to read about. If you're dying for some new Stormlight before the next book is released, you should read this one. It also has some important bits of character development.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
Just finished and rated 4/5 Deerskin by Robin McKinley. Very impressed yet mixed feeling about this. Pretty much the same sensation left behind by Sunshine of the same author. She has such an odd, compelling voice, and a manner of writing her tales like a rambling fairy-tale, with lots of 'and' in convoluted sentences.

This book stole many hours of my nights. It is NOT recommendable for just anyone and certainly not for kids. I thought it was vivid and intelligent and made me cry in the worst scene, but whoof, what emotions...

Moving on now to one of the many books offered me this xmas. I think I'll start with Beyond Redemption, since everyone is being this rabid about it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Converting writers to the Darkity Dark side and the beauty of the Present Tense

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #9829 on: January 07, 2017, 01:33:35 AM »
Not everyone!

I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy it, so don't feel bad if it happens to you as well.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #9830 on: January 07, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
Just read and finished the Mirrors truth for 5 hours straight. What a fantastic sequel it has none of the usual middle book slump for a trilogy and I have no clue what's going to happen next. The ending was terrific and as a bonus FF gets mentioned in the acknowledgements. I blame @Arry for that as she pushed the equally wonderful Beyond Redemption hard on the forum.
You're welcome! :D

If you haven't read Beyond Redemption you need to do so. If you have The Mirrors Truth is just as good and is deserving of your investment and time.
I still need to read Mirrors Truth (I have a copy waiting to be read), but definitely agree more people should check it out.

Currently I'm reading Firebrand by Kristain Britain. 500 pages in, just over 300 more to go :) I am enjoying it (it's the 6th book in the Green Rider series)

Also just over halfway through Stranded by Bracken MacLeod. I loved the first half. Great suspense and atmosphere, but there's a twist I'm really on the fence about. Hoping I get back to where I was enjoyment wise with this one.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:24:15 AM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: January 07, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
beyond Redemption seems interesting and catchy, but it was too hard for my tired brain, trying to sound out all those weird words. Put it on top of my tbr and started Bird Box instead, which stole a few hours of my night I really didn't have to spare. Great psychological horror.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Converting writers to the Darkity Dark side and the beauty of the Present Tense

Online Rostum

« Reply #9832 on: January 08, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »
Re-read Prince of fools in thee days. It's still excellent. Starting The Liars Key next.
It's all Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?

Offline Althalus

« Reply #9833 on: January 08, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
Gone with a classic (the best kind of fantasy) with Roger Zelaznys' Wizard World. Brilliant so far (as one would expect from Zelazny.

It is a typical portal fantasy were someone from this world is taken to another, where Zelazny adds a brilliant twist! He grows up and becomes the bad guy! The light yet rich tone of the writing just is the cherry on the top though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:20:33 PM by Althalus »
“If this hast been done to language, I fear to know the fate of all else.”

- Michael J. Sullivan

“Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it.”

- Lloyd Alexander

Online DrNefario

« Reply #9834 on: January 08, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
I'm reading Medalon by Jennifer Fallon. I don't quite know what I make of it, yet. It's an easy enough read, but people occasionally seem to be stupid for plot reasons.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #9835 on: January 08, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
I'm reading Medalon by Jennifer Fallon. I don't quite know what I make of it, yet. It's an easy enough read, but people occasionally seem to be stupid for plot reasons.

I read Medalon. I liked it, but I wasn't blown away or anything. Solid fantasy. Nothing special.

Online ScarletBea

• The colour of Courage, Force, Passion, Heart and Joy & the wondrous Mistress of Cake
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9836 on: January 09, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
I've just finished Whispers under ground, the 3rd book in Peter Grant's series (as in character, not author hehe - Ben Aaronovitch, for those who don't know ;))
I really enjoyed it, and it's actually my second favorite after book 1.

Last time I was in London I wondered who actually drove in the city, and if they were masochists, hehe - after reading this book I see it's police ;D
Has anyone actually drove through Peter's routes? Ben describes them so very much, hehe, all the streets in minute detail!
Always fighting the bad things - Always hoping for the good things
"Good fighters only lose when they fight alone - and I don't have to do that because I have you all" (thanks to xiagan)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: January 09, 2017, 08:20:54 AM »
I did find the churchyard of St Paul's, the Actor's Church behind Covent Garden where the first one began. It has memorial plaques and seats dedicated to many British actors and was pleasant in the daylight. But could imagine not so good at night.

@Nora given up on The Traitor Baru Cormorant, mainly because the narrator on the audible sends me to sleep and partly because I need different themes just now. May try again some day but now is not the time.

Tad Williams has a new series beginning set in Osten Ard, and but before reading it I need to re-read the whole of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn again. At least it has just come out here in audible. I am a little nervous that it is not as good as I remember, but will take the original time it was published  into account.
Can anyone else please omment if they have done a re-read of it after many years?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:43:32 AM by Lady_Ty »
"So troll fought troll, and dwarf fought dwarf, and fools made fools of all of us................. until the disgusted sky washed us away. "
Thud by Terry Pratchett

Offline Nighteyes

• Huggy McHugface
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: January 09, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »
Time for the ANNUAL TERRY PRATCHETT DISCWORLD REREAD!!!!!

Relatively early one, featuring Gaspode the Wonder Dog. Any guesses?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: January 09, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »
Are you taking a trip to Holy Wood?
"So troll fought troll, and dwarf fought dwarf, and fools made fools of all of us................. until the disgusted sky washed us away. "
Thud by Terry Pratchett