June 01, 2020, 06:23:59 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1991096 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8235 on: April 15, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
I am currently reading tebakutis's Glyphbinder. Though, sadly, at my typical pace. I'm through the first 15%, and it's looking good so far.

Also, could someone tell me how to do that link-a-person's-name-thing in a post?

You do the @ sign in front of the person's name.
So I'm "at"jmack; you're @Eli_Freysson

Remember that anyone who has a space in their name, like the unsummonable Henry Dale, is not summonable.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: April 16, 2016, 09:55:44 AM »
Just finished In The Labyrinth of Drakes and LOVED IT.

One of the most satisfying books I've read these last two years. Mid third book in this series I started wanting something to happen... Not 1/4 through this fourth book I was wondering if it ever would, wanting it very badly, middway through I was BEGGING for it, tearing my hair down in anguish that I would not see it realised.
The end of that book had me emotional, giggly, rolling in my bed... Man, it is such a perfect series. Tailored for me, who loves both 19th century dramas and fantasy.
It is never slow, it doesn't lack dragons, it's just not a series for people who can't enjoy something written more along the lines of a classic, is all. And in my eyes, my reference for a memoir being Chateaubriand's bricks "Memoirs from beyond the grave", this is rather more exciting and action packed than even busy-bodied Chateaubriand's life ever was.

It's a must read. I can't believe I just read through these books and will have to wait a year or two now...

Suhail is one of the best male characters I've seen depicted by a femal author from a female first PoV. I'm impressed by the quality of the writing overall.

Now I'm having an emotional breakdown. It's like I have no TBR pile. Effectively I never have anything clearly lined up, more like a mass of things I can pick up from. But now I'm still completely involved with these characters, and I want to re-watch all the Egyptology documentaries of my youth, and more romances, and– bouhou...  :'(

I just can't get interested, just now.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: April 16, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
How about a re-read! you probably missed stuff the first time you read it  :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: April 16, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
How about a re-read! you probably missed stuff the first time you read it  :)

I don't think I have ever done a re-read immediately upon finishing a book, in my whole life. I doubt I missed anything either. I mean, now I'd see hints coming, but it's four books after all, and in the style of memoirs, that I've read in a week or so. It's too fresh to my mind. I can return to books I've loved, but usually when the craving falls on me.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: April 16, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

Nice! Got the second book in that series waiting for me on my kindle, really liked the first one and I'm glad to hear it keeps it up!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: April 16, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »

Nice! Got the second book in that series waiting for me on my kindle, really liked the first one and I'm glad to hear it keeps it up!

Yeah I think they get better and better.  :D

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: April 17, 2016, 09:37:44 AM »
Eight Skilled Gentlemen by Barry Hughart
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #8242 on: April 17, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »
Just finished Perdido Street Station.  About to start The Relic Guild.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #8243 on: April 17, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »
I finished Promise of Blood this morning. I liked it, but I feel there was something missing that I can't quite put my finger on. I will be continuing with the series, though, I think.

Next up, I'm not totally sure. There's an SF book out in a couple of days that I want to read (Chains of Command by Marko Kloos), so I was thinking maybe a quick Agatha Christie in the meantime. Hercule Poirot's Christmas is the next on my list. The danger there is that I might finish it too soon.

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #8244 on: April 17, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »
I am now reading Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher, it is already looking like one of the most original fantasy novels that I have read.
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: April 17, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »
Good to know, as Betond Redemption is on my tbr.

Started City of Stairs, even though my head is still a bit full of love and dragons.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: April 17, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »

Perdido Street Station is one of my rave-about books, but few here have read it or made comment. Would be most interested to know what you thought of it.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: April 17, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »

Perdido Street Station is one of my rave-about books, but few here have read it or made comment. Would be most interested to know what you thought of it.

Been a few years. Like maybe 8 years since I read it? But remember it being amazeballs.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline HAnthe

« Reply #8248 on: April 17, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
Reading Half-Resurrection Blues by Daniel Jose Older at the moment.  Urban fantasy.  I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure I entirely appreciate the execution.  Some of the narration is great, but the dialogue lacks so far, for me.

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #8249 on: April 17, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
It's insanely inventive and rich with detail.  New Crobuzon is remarkable, the worldbuilding is off. the. chain.  Yagharek was the standout character for me.