May 27, 2020, 02:37:17 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1986209 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8205 on: April 10, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »
^ I've never watched it (I think it's a 'british childhood' thing), but I heard a lot about it.
That clip is AWFUL, I lasted less than a minute *shivers*
Children see that?!? :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: April 10, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
^ I've never watched it (I think it's a 'british childhood' thing), but I heard a lot about it.

It's why British children are as hard as nails! Bambi? The Lion King? Your average British kid watches those without any emotion. We had Watership Down!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8207 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »
I'm a child from the Bambi generation, I must have watched it in the cinema when I was 7 or 8.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bambi's mummy dying :'( :'(
but that's emotions, not that awful violence... I'm going to get nightmares from the evil bunny >:(

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: April 10, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
I'm a child from the Bambi generation, I must have watched it in the cinema when I was 7 or 8.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bambi's mummy dying :'( :'(
but that's emotions, not that awful violence... I'm going to get nightmares from the evil bunny >:(

All jokes aside Watership Down is an incredibly powerful (and emotional film), which covers themes such as mortality and fascism.   I would recommend it as essential viewing, just not for a group of unaccompanied children ranging between 2 and 11 years old. 

And sorry Polansky fans's but I still find he is all style over substance.  (Though I heard the Piano is very powerful.)  As per usual other opinions are available.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #8209 on: April 10, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »

It's why British children are as hard as nails! Bambi? The Lion King? Your average British kid watches those without any emotion. We had Watership Down!

That video was AMAZING  ;D

I've banged on about it frequently in other places, but I bloody loved Watership Down (which I saw when I was five or six, I think) even though it scared the living bejesus out of me. Incredibly formative film for little senny. I named Lord Frith after the rabbit god, after all...

Looking at that video though it is sort of amazing it was ever rated U...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: April 10, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »

I've banged on about it frequently in other places, but I bloody loved Watership Down (which I saw when I was five or six, I think) even though it scared the living bejesus out of me. Incredibly formative film for little senny. I named Lord Frith after the rabbit god, after all...

I am so glad there are a few UK adults not scarred for life by seeing Watership Down in childhood. It is FilmNeverToBeNamed in this family.

My daughter has never forgiven me for taking her as a child with her older brother.  I had no idea it would be so graphic, when all that ghastliness was going on I was trying to sit across and stop her seeing and of course she made a fuss and wanted to look.

Then two years later her cat called Brighteyes got run over in front of the house.

Then last Christmas I took SnowPiercer for her boys on Christmas Eve, as I thought it would be a good action movie.  So everyone started killing everyone else for two hours, the boys thought it was hilarious but my bad parenting choice about Watership Down was dragged up yet again. ::)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: April 10, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »

I am so glad there are a few UK adults not scarred for life by seeing Watership Down in childhood. It is FilmNeverToBeNamed in this family.

My daughter has never forgiven me for taking her as a child with her older brother.  I had no idea it would be so graphic, when all that ghastliness was going on I was trying to sit across and stop her seeing and of course she made a fuss and wanted to look.

Then two years later her cat called Brighteyes got run over in front of the house.

Then last Christmas I took SnowPiercer for her boys on Christmas Eve, as I thought it would be a good action movie.  So everyone started killing everyone else for two hours, the boys thought it was hilarious but my bad parenting choice about Watership Down was dragged up yet again. ::)

It completely scarred me! BUT. It made me consider mortality, which at some point you need to, even as a child, or you'll in for a big shock later in life.  Also it taught me that fascism was wrong.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #8212 on: April 11, 2016, 02:38:04 AM »
I finished Mistborn: The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson. Started The Well of Ascension.

Those plot twists...certainly didn't see any of them coming. The battles and use of magic were great. The journal between chapters was also done so well. Sanderson really tricked me there.

I just wished some better dialogue, though, specially when you read this after the Gentleman Bastards. And I think the preparations of the rebellion and the balls stole so much from the immersion, as they had nothing different or amazing, they looked pretty much the same in our world and it felt distracting.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #8213 on: April 11, 2016, 02:58:41 AM »

"I didn't know rabbits could be so metal" - probably the best Youtube comment.

Offline Captain Blobby

« Reply #8214 on: April 11, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »
Just started Saint's Blood by  Sebastien de Castell, really good so far and always nice to read something a little light hearted every now and again.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #8215 on: April 12, 2016, 02:35:19 AM »
Just started Saint's Blood by  Sebastien de Castell, really good so far and always nice to read something a little light hearted every now and again.

I'm annoyed that this isn't available in the US until later this summer.   I'll probably do a VPN to get it from Amazon UK before then but I wish they  would come out at the same time.

Offline ZeroEcho99

« Reply #8216 on: April 12, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
Loved the first two in the series by De Castell and looking forward to getting Saint's Blood very soon.

After breezing through the superb Reckoners trilogy by Brandon Sanderson I've moved onto the start of the Mistborn series with The Final Empire.  Only 70 pages in and utterly hooked already!

Sanderson jumping into my top five of authors now  :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8217 on: April 12, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »
I've now started Red Plains, the last in @G_R_Matthews' great trilogy :D

And I hope you enjoy it!
You bet I did!!!
I finished it last night, what an amazing ending :D

In my personal tastes, I prefer to read about plot+magic instead of purely military/battles, so Zhou's chapters are my favourite, and the last third of this book was really great.
I still think book 2 is my favourite of the trilogy - and I know people normally think 2 is more filler, hehe, but in several cases I've preferred book 2.

Thanks so much for giving me a chance to discover your books, Geoff!

And truly, if anyone wants to read a great story set in a fantasy China, with great magic and great battles, give this trilogy a try!

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8218 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »
I've now started Red Plains, the last in @G_R_Matthews' great trilogy :D

And I hope you enjoy it!
You bet I did!!!
I finished it last night, what an amazing ending :D

In my personal tastes, I prefer to read about plot+magic instead of purely military/battles, so Zhou's chapters are my favourite, and the last third of this book was really great.
I still think book 2 is my favourite of the trilogy - and I know people normally think 2 is more filler, hehe, but in several cases I've preferred book 2.

Thanks so much for giving me a chance to discover your books, Geoff!

And truly, if anyone wants to read a great story set in a fantasy China, with great magic and great battles, give this trilogy a try!

And that has totally made my day!

Thank you!
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: April 12, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »
Finished The Tropic of Serpents and moving straight to the third book in the series, The Voyage of the Basilisk. Really great books, these Memoirs of Lady Trent. For someone who enjoys classics and 19th century lit, it's heaven.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty