September 20, 2020, 11:30:39 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2070417 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8160 on: April 02, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »
About a 100 pages left of The House of Shattered Wings, enjoying it, like the world and the mystery. Going to be lazy and copy/paste my two cents (oh god I'm using American phrases...) so far from Goodreads.

...the dragon bits felt like reading through treacle though, and my initial pleasure at having 4, yes 4, gay characters waned when one died, another is evil and a third gets wounded. I'm sure it won't reach a 'bury your gays' level but still. :)

Offline HAnthe

« Reply #8161 on: April 03, 2016, 02:42:17 AM »
I've re-read HP way too many times! The LOTR, I could only face twice and I loved Garth Nix books, so I've re-read them a few times :).

How is Clariel. I've read the original Abhorsen trilogy, but haven't gotten around to the newest book yet.

I read Clariel recently, right after I read the whole Abhorsen trilogy.  It was good -- it's a prequel to everything and gives a really interesting perspective on events and characters in the background of the trilogy.  Plus it expands a bit on the nastier side of the world's magic.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #8162 on: April 03, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
Just finished The Reindeer People by Megan Lindholm, about to move on to Wolf's Brother. :) It's the first time I've read Robin Hobb writing under another name and I'm enjoying it. No one writes 'unrelenting yet somehow addictive woe' like Hobb :D
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #8163 on: April 03, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »
Just started A Natural History of Dragons and linking it a lot so far. It somehow makes me feel like it's written by @Lady_Ty... ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
« Reply #8164 on: April 03, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
Just started A Natural History of Dragons and linking it a lot so far. It somehow makes me feel like it's written by @Lady_Ty... ;D
Oh I really enjoyed that book, was refreshingly different, bought the next one on Kindle when it was cheap too. :D

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #8165 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
Read the builders. Disappointed, maybe too much hype about this story but Low Town was much better and it was an obvious gag more than a story. Still worth the read just maybe overhyped.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8166 on: April 03, 2016, 07:17:49 PM »
I've now started Red Plains, the last in @G_R_Matthews' great trilogy :D

And I hope you enjoy it!

I've just finished The Rook - really enjoyable! http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/the-rook-by-daniel-omalley
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #8167 on: April 03, 2016, 07:37:15 PM »
I (finally) managed to do what I said I was going to do and started reading @Nora 's Dark Star. (As in, her book recommendation, not her book. It's Oliver Langmead's book.)
It's tough when you don't have an e-reader yourself and are bound by the whimsy of others though.  :P

Anyway, I like it so far, though the style is a bit special. It has its good and bad moments, but I love the premise so far and definitely will make it till the end. In my head it has the graphical style and narrating voice of Transistor.

Artwork of the game Transistor, with its gritty dystopian cities of light.

How did you picture it Nora (or others who have read it)?

After that I'll start on The Heroic Legend of Arslan fan translation. I couldn't find a translation of the original Persian piece, nor could I find an English version of the Japanese novel (only the mangas on Amazon). So I'll have to do with this English fan translation of the Japanese novel: https://arslansenki.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:55:23 PM by Henry Dale »

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8168 on: April 03, 2016, 09:13:48 PM »
I've just finished The Rook - really enjoyable! http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/the-rook-by-daniel-omalley
That review got me interested in reading the series. I'm just waiting for the sequel to come out and then I'll start.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8169 on: April 03, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
That review got me interested in reading the series. I'm just waiting for the sequel to come out and then I'll start.

My work is done :) Thanks.
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8170 on: April 03, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »

My work is done :) Thanks.
Loved the Rook.
Add me to the list of those waiting for the next.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
« Reply #8171 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
Finished The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard, a good 4* I think, very well written if occasionally a little repetitive with stating certain things for my liking, and a great mystery in an intriguing, interesting and captivating urban fantasy setting. The world building and concepts are great and was really awesome to see a bunch of women driving the plot for once, including 4 gay people!

The Seine section dragged and was the low point of the book personally, but it didn't last very long and we soon got back to the action. Well worth a read I'd say.

Don't know what to read next now, I have an urge to head for book 2 of The Farseer Trilogy but A Gathering of Shadows is sat waiting for me on my shelf. :D

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #8172 on: April 04, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »
read San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats by Mira Grant. Or more correctly finished off this story as I started it last year. My least favorite of her rising books. I did wonder what @m3mnoch would be up to while Comic Con was suffering the zombie apocolypse. Building an A-team style gyrocopter to whisk the family away perhaps.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #8173 on: April 04, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »
I (finally) managed to do what I said I was going to do and started reading @Nora 's Dark Star. (As in, her book recommendation, not her book. It's Oliver Langmead's book.)
It's tough when you don't have an e-reader yourself and are bound by the whimsy of others though.  :P

Anyway, I like it so far, though the style is a bit special. It has its good and bad moments, but I love the premise so far and definitely will make it till the end. In my head it has the graphical style and narrating voice of Transistor.

How did you picture it Nora (or others who have read it)?

Tell you what, this VERY MOMENT I'm having a chat online on facebook with Oliver Langmead himself, the young writer. He's added my friend request and sent me a link to music to listen to while reading Dark Star :

http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/2015/03/music-to-write-to-oliver-langmead/

We're chatting about Scotland and its Universities.  :o  :-X

I pictured it like a Sin City graphic novel :

I hope you enjoy it. In retrospect I like it more now than I did when I finished it. It's an eerie book.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #8174 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
@Nora
That was a really interesting article, thank you ^^
The name Yorke makes more sense now among all that Dante stuff.

Hope you make it to Scotland somehow, that'd be awesome  :)

Sin City makes a lot of sense yes. Your images seem to fit right into the book. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'll definitely post my final verdict here.