September 20, 2020, 12:16:32 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2070425 times)

Offline S.B Nova

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8145 on: April 01, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »
I'm half-way through a book called Spirit Legacy. I'll be posting a review on goodreads and my booktuber channel.
I need more ideas for reading material though. I always feel lost on Amazon & Bookbub etc. There's too many I want/need to read.

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #8146 on: April 01, 2016, 08:45:35 PM »
I'm about halfway through The Hobbit.  I've never actually read it.  Enjoying it so far.  I like the way Tolkien writes.  It's like he's an old man sitting by the fire telling a tale to a bunch of wide-eyed children.
This is slightly amusing as just a moment ago I came across my copy of The Hobbit in the garage and am seriously considering reading it for about the fifth time.

Fifth isn't that much... I must have read Pride and Prejudice about 10/12 times. The hobbit easily 5, the whole LOTR at least 3,5.
Jane Eyre must have read 6 or 7 times, North and South 3 times... The whole ASOIAF I've read thrice. =_=
Not keen for a fourth. Too many books now.
What's the book you've re-read the most?

Anyway I've started a short book called Sin Du Jour.

And I thinking that it was a lot that I read ASOIAF thrice...  she did that, reread others AND 12 times Pride and Prejudice? Wow.

You all put me to shame. The only books I recall reading more than once are The Thief Lord, The Giver, and one and a half of LOTR.

I was flipping to a couple of my fav scenes in LOTR a couple weeks back, such as Legolas crying "Ai! A balrog!" They should've put that in the movie. Also the part where they're on the mountain, Aragorn and Boromir trudge through the snow and Legolas zips past them with a wave as if to say "See ya suckers!"
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #8147 on: April 01, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »
Do you really reckon it's an age thing? I think some people are just more prone to going back to the same enjoyable piece than others.
I mean, Christopher Lee was rumoured to have read the LOTR every year of his life after he picked it up. So does the Bonus CDs say at least  ;D

I think if you discover something worth reading over in your teens then you will probably have read it more times when you are in your forties thanyou had in your twenties. You might be up to 20 times for Pride and prejudice by then. Or beyond.

Offline Yora

« Reply #8148 on: April 01, 2016, 09:23:52 PM »
I think I read Hobbit and Lord of the Rings three times each. I also read the Heir to the Empire series twice, with about 15 years inbetween.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #8149 on: April 02, 2016, 12:48:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the only books I've read multiple times are the Harry Potter books. I might have read something multiple times as a kid, but I don't really remember.

Offline S.B Nova

« Reply #8150 on: April 02, 2016, 04:19:47 AM »
I've re-read HP way too many times! The LOTR, I could only face twice and I loved Garth Nix books, so I've re-read them a few times :).

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #8151 on: April 02, 2016, 04:25:41 AM »
I've re-read HP way too many times! The LOTR, I could only face twice and I loved Garth Nix books, so I've re-read them a few times :).

How is Clariel. I've read the original Abhorsen trilogy, but haven't gotten around to the newest book yet.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #8152 on: April 02, 2016, 04:25:57 AM »
Finished Calamity by Brandon Sanderson. I'm sad to see this series is over. I loved it that much. I can see how some people might not like the ending, but I thought it was the perfect ending.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #8153 on: April 02, 2016, 04:51:01 AM »
Do you really reckon it's an age thing? I think some people are just more prone to going back to the same enjoyable piece than others.
I mean, Christopher Lee was rumoured to have read the LOTR every year of his life after he picked it up. So does the Bonus CDs say at least  ;D

I think if you discover something worth reading over in your teens then you will probably have read it more times when you are in your forties thanyou had in your twenties. You might be up to 20 times for Pride and prejudice by then. Or beyond.
Ah, I see what you mean. I thought you meant that being older you don't have time/as much inclination to re-read books. Makes sense.
But then again I guess I'd feel weird admitting to reading a book 20 times... There are always amazing gems out there waiting to be read for the first time.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #8154 on: April 02, 2016, 06:34:04 AM »
I think I've read every book I've seriously enjoyed more than once, but five is about the limit for me with the exception of Harry Potter. Each new book resulted in my reading the entire series up to that point, so seven times at least for the first book. While I enjoy reading, and reading books I love, I simply have too many interests to waste my time and too much memory to keep reading a book I know by heart. I've yet to find a book I want to read 12 or more times, but I expect in 20 more years I will have read certain ones at least that much.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8155 on: April 02, 2016, 09:20:37 AM »
I've now started Red Plains, the last in @G_R_Matthews' great trilogy :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Mythago

I Robot: To Obey.
« Reply #8156 on: April 02, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
Just finished I Robot:To Obey by Mickey Zucker Reichert. I really enjoyed it but not as much as the first book in the series. The character of Susan Calvin is fascinating to anyone who likes the Asimov universe, but I did think there was a bit of a diatribe going on against anyone who doesn't have a strictly materialist world view. I have no opinion on the issues this raises, but just thought it bogged the story down a bit at times. Would still give it 4 stars out of 5 for sheer entertainment though.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #8157 on: April 02, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »
Finished  Lord of Ashes (Steelhaven #3) by Richard Ford

There was too many story threads left open at the end I thought   
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8158 on: April 02, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the only books I've read multiple times are the Harry Potter books. I might have read something multiple times as a kid, but I don't really remember.

Am I crazy that I never did this?
I own all the books, and read them when I was around 9. I read the series once, then never picked it up again. I thought it was good, but nothing about them screamed for a reread.
The only time I ever read a book again is when a friend wants me to read it with them, or the next book in the series has come out. With the series thing, I only reread the previous two books before starting on the latest, unless it's the last book. Then I reread the entire thing.
There are a few exceptions. I like having something playing while I'm falling asleep, so I've reread a couple of books adapted in Graphic Audio. That's all i can think of.
Most people I talk to seem to have read Harry Potter twice. I'm planning on rereading it when I get to the bottom of my TBR list, but who knows how long that will take. It's not unrealistic for me like it is for most. I want to see if I'll fall in love with the world again.

Offline Peat

« Reply #8159 on: April 02, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »
I re-read books a lot. Maybe that's me being too lazy to find new good things (part of why I'm here), but I also like to try and dig deep into what makes things tick.

The book I most recently read was Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart, and I more or less re-read that straight away because I really wanted to find what made it tick. Never enough fantasy that is genuinely funny, very gripping and contains a fair dollop of the fantastic.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/