October 20, 2020, 07:03:46 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2084386 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #7515 on: January 20, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »
Gosh, no one should start with Elantris. It's an awesome book, but only if you make it to the end. I only pushed through because of the Cosmere. It was totally worth it, but ugh.
I say go big or go home! Start with Stormlight! Go go go!
Then you'll think, wait, this guy's from this book? And wait, this other guy shows up in this book? Hmm, maybe I'll just go read them all! Best marketing scheme ever.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7516 on: January 21, 2016, 12:40:25 AM »
Gosh, no one should start with Elantris. It's an awesome book, but only if you make it to the end. I only pushed through because of the Cosmere. It was totally worth it, but ugh.
Then you'll think, wait, this guy's from this book? And wait, this other guy shows up in this book? Hmm, maybe I'll just go read them all! Best marketing scheme ever.

I started with Elantris. It wasn't a bad book as people make it out to be. Sure, it had tons of flaws (specially about show, don't tell), but it did show the twists and the creativity of Sanderson and that he was going to be a very different author in the genre.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #7517 on: January 21, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »

I started with Elantris. It wasn't a bad book as people make it out to be. Sure, it had tons of flaws (specially about show, don't tell), but it did show the twists and the creativity of Sanderson and that he was going to be a very different author in the genre.

I don't get the hate for Elantris. It was a solid 9/10 for me. The same goes for Warbreaker (a 9.5/10 for me).

I've only ever read one thing by Sanderson I didn't care for, and it was the short story Centrifugal, which he wrote when he was in high school.

I will say that the Legion novellas aren't quite up to the same standard as the rest of his work. Oddly enough, I think they were too rushed and could have been fleshed out.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7518 on: January 21, 2016, 03:08:44 AM »
Finished Crossover, by Paul Proffet.

Interesting premise and good beginning. A professional killer is saved by a vision from a mystic girl. When she sleeps  her soul gets dragged to a world of demons. The guy can help her there. He can conjure weapons to kill the demons, a la Fate Stay/Night. But guns and grenades instead.

It loses momentum in the middle, when a lot of characters and factions are introduced. Things get more epic towards the end. It also has a lot of typos, specially a lot of missing commas and excess of dialogue tags.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #7519 on: January 21, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »

I don't get the hate for Elantris. It was a solid 9/10 for me. The same goes for Warbreaker (a 9.5/10 for me).

I've only ever read one thing by Sanderson I didn't care for, and it was the short story Centrifugal, which he wrote when he was in high school.

I will say that the Legion novellas aren't quite up to the same standard as the rest of his work. Oddly enough, I think they were too rushed and could have been fleshed out.

Elantris was too long yet too shallow. The feminin MC was a bit cartoonish in my opinion - at least her family was. It was too drawn out, and I skeamed passages. But it's still a stron book.
I felt that the priest's feelings puffed out of nowhere really...
Some 6,5/10 for me.

Warbreaker is a 9.5/10 though, for sure. Loved it to bits.

I'm currently reading The Rythmatist and not completely taken in yet.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7520 on: January 21, 2016, 05:32:21 AM »
Elantris was too long yet too shallow. The feminin MC was a bit cartoonish in my opinion - at least her family was. It was too drawn out, and I skeamed passages. But it's still a stron book.
I felt that the priest's feelings puffed out of nowhere really...
Some 6,5/10 for me.

Agreed, I wouldn't rate it more than 3 stars.
Hrathen carried the book for me. Sarene was someone who had to say she was strong and independent, but in reality was just spoiled and a pain in the ass of anyone, and just couldn't see/admit it. That was shown by her actions, specially on those donations. What I wonder is if Sanderson really thought he was writing a strong character or if it was intended as a "subtle" flaw on her.

I also didn't buy the reason the magic stopped working, because I really don't remember the cause being mentioned anywhere before the hero says "Oh, that was it! It was X!".
And from what the villains could do (and did) you wonder why everything wasn't conquered already.
Although Hrathen's feelings really came out of nowhere, I liked how his arc, and the book, closed full circle with his introduction and ending.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #7521 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »
Yeah definitely agree to those Elantris criticisms. What I found most tiresome was that the two protagonists are essentially perfect - they just don't have a single flaw - which made them feel like blank slates with no personality for me, so everything fell flat.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7522 on: January 21, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
Started What Remains of Heroes, by David Benem.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7523 on: January 21, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
I can't remember of a worst first chapter than what I've just read in What Remains of Heroes.

The MC is an old man, drinking over and over in the bar. A gorgeous young noble girl enters with her friend. The friend invites the drunk old man to talk with the girl. He can't believe his luck.
They go outside and he's pretty happy with his luck. The girls really take him to their manse. The friend says the girl is ready. She spreads her legs and he has sex with the young girl, who is also a virgin. Best moment of his life.

Her dad walks in. It just happens to be the archenemy of the MC. He runs away through the window.

The MC returns to the bar. He drinks a bit more, I think. Of course, Archenemy gets the location from his daughter. MC hides. There's a way to escape, but he can't remember.
Archenemy yells to the barkeeper: "Tell me or I will drown you in your cellar!" MC remembers the cellar and escapes the bar.

He somehow returns home, get his sword and armor. He is located, of course. He kills 3 or 4 guys, despite being drunk as hell. He then receives a blow in the head and fall.

Archenemy yells to him (and everyone around) something like: "You fool! I would sacrifice my daughter to gain more power and advantage, because I'm really evil! In fact, I was just going to offer her to the evil necromancers!"

Archenemy apparently remembers who MC is and plans to send him to someplace instead of killing him. End of chapter.

EDIT: Curiously, about 3 minutes later I go to Twitter and Mark Lawrence retweets that Beauty in Ruins just picked this as their favorite in the SPFBO contest.
Maybe it gets really good, but the start was really poor.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:33:13 PM by Lanko »

Offline Revan

« Reply #7524 on: January 21, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »
Finished American Gods by Gaiman. While I didn't love it, it was a big improvement on Neverwhere.

Sam was completely crazy and her speech in what she can believe was one of the most impressive things I've ever read.

Offline Revan

« Reply #7525 on: January 21, 2016, 04:19:55 PM »
Yeah definitely agree to those Elantris criticisms. What I found most tiresome was that the two protagonists are essentially perfect - they just don't have a single flaw - which made them feel like blank slates with no personality for me, so everything fell flat.

Well, Vin in Mistborn is as Mary Sue as someone can be, to be fair. She was completely flawless. While I loved her, I think that Kelsier was a better character because he was quite dark at times, and quite a gray character.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #7526 on: January 21, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »

Well, Vin in Mistborn is as Mary Sue as someone can be, to be fair. She was completely flawless. While I loved her, I think that Kelsier was a better character because he was quite dark at times, and quite a gray character.
Yeah, characters are a weak point in Mistborn too, just not to the extent as they were in Elantris. The real difference for me is that Mistborn is much more action/plot driven, whereas Elantris felt like it was trying to be more character-based. I prefer character driven novels most of the time, but when the characters are poor it means there's little else to distract from the flaws.  ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #7527 on: January 21, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »

Yeah, characters are a weak point in Mistborn too, just not to the extent as they were in Elantris. The real difference for me is that Mistborn is much more action/plot driven, whereas Elantris felt like it was trying to be more character-based. I prefer character driven novels most of the time, but when the characters are poor it means there's little else to distract from the flaws.  ;)

And yet I liked all the characters that have been criticized here. I'd rather read about Sanderson's characters than the vast majority of characters in Grimdark fantasy.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #7528 on: January 21, 2016, 05:37:51 PM »

And yet I liked all the characters that have been criticized here. I'd rather read about Sanderson's characters than the vast majority of characters in Grimdark fantasy.
Yeah same, that's one of the reasons I prefer Sanderson's books to others that are currently popular. Whenever anything is listed as grimdark I avoid it wherever possible. Doesn't make Sanderson's characters any deeper than they are though!  :P

Offline Revan

« Reply #7529 on: January 21, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »

Yeah same, that's one of the reasons I prefer Sanderson's books to others that are currently popular. Whenever anything is listed as grimdark I avoid it wherever possible. Doesn't make Sanderson's characters any deeper than they are though!  :P

Disagree! Of course, grimdark being the fancy stuff at the moment means that there are a shitload of awful books in that genre, but those who do the grimdark right (Martin, Hobb, Abercrombie, Lawrence and a few others) have far better characters than Sanderson.

I think that Sanderson would have been considered below-average if he was judged only in characters and writing/prose. Fortunately, he managed to make very good stories with excellent twists, and his magic systems are second to none (maybe second to Jordan, at worst case). Which is the reason while I would put him somewhere near the top.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:47:52 PM by Revan »