March 25, 2017, 07:31:23 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 992542 times)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #7215 on: December 21, 2015, 01:00:50 AM »
Probably unrelated, but I was in Goodreads and the recommendation tab showed: "Because you read Prince of Thorns, a few more recommendations for Science Fiction."
I was like, "what?"

Well, there are some science fiction elements in the trilogy. It's post-apocalyptic and some technology does show up, though it is treated as mysterious in a manner more typical to fantasy.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: December 21, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »
Finished The Aeronaut's Windlass, despite what others here have said I quite liked it.

Also read The Call by @Eli_Freysson, which was good fun. Definitely recommended if you want something fast-paced and entertaining. I also posted a review on GR8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:43:28 AM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: December 21, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »
Just finished Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Quite disappointed in the end.
Everything went fine, catching my interest (though never lighting me on fire either), until he started doing something annoying repeatedly :

He would make one character disclose full backstory details to another, but cut the narrative along with said character before you could get the whole thing.
It started once 50% in the book, then happened more than 5 more times!!! Seriously starting to piss me off then. But I also saw a problem coming as details sipped through these interrupted revelations : besides the fact that characters started acting on reasons and principles I knew nothing about, I started feeling like the "big reveal" might not be as good as the dragging suspense made it to be.

And sure enough, when I reached the end, none of it made sense to me. In this respect Sanderson is clearly right. In his worlds, outcomes make sense because you know the rules of the game. You can see playing out something you could have foretold, but didn't. It feels more realistic and gratifying.
In this sci-fi, the whole ending is a chunk of info dumping to explain to you what's so wondrous, who the bad guys were all along, why this and that look awesome or are scientifically super strange, ect.
So when at last I knew as much as the other characters, I never went "Ooooh!"... nor even "Aaah".
More like "huh".

Well, apparently moving on to some Sanderson now!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #7218 on: December 21, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »
I finished What Remains of Heroes by David Benem yesterday, my second of the SPFBO finalists. I was fairly impressed, I have to say. I thought it was of trad-pub quality, and I'm interested to see what happens next. If I have any slight criticism it's that I did feel it lacked a bit of drive in the middle. I can't really put my finger on why, it just seemed to lack a bit of tension/suspense.

On to Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut next, to see out the sixties in my chronological SF challenge.

Offline RussetDivinity

« Reply #7219 on: December 21, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
I'm about halfway through The Bane Chronicles. It's hardly perfect, but it is a lot of fun to read, and a great way to ease into my mornings.

Online Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: December 21, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
Started Twilight Watch (?????? #3) by Sergei Lukyanenko , I'm quite enjoying this post Soviet series even if it is a bit bizarre in places

Wait what there is a 3rd  :o

Now on the The Last Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko  #4

Gesar sends Anton to assist the Scottish Night Watch in Edinburgh in a murder investigation
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:29:36 PM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Online Lanko

• Writing Contest Regular, Sherlanko Holmes and Jiin Wei
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: December 21, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »
Finished The Martian, by Andy Weir. Very good.

There's still time for another book I think.

Decided to go with Bloodrush, by Ben Galley. Unless this goes extremely fast, it will be my last read of the year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:20:06 PM by Lanko »
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #7222 on: December 22, 2015, 06:02:31 AM »
Just finished Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Quite disappointed in the end.
Everything went fine, catching my interest (though never lighting me on fire either), until he started doing something annoying repeatedly :

He would make one character disclose full backstory details to another, but cut the narrative along with said character before you could get the whole thing.
It started once 50% in the book, then happened more than 5 more times!!! Seriously starting to piss me off then. But I also saw a problem coming as details sipped through these interrupted revelations : besides the fact that characters started acting on reasons and principles I knew nothing about, I started feeling like the "big reveal" might not be as good as the dragging suspense made it to be.

And sure enough, when I reached the end, none of it made sense to me. In this respect Sanderson is clearly right. In his worlds, outcomes make sense because you know the rules of the game. You can see playing out something you could have foretold, but didn't. It feels more realistic and gratifying.
In this sci-fi, the whole ending is a chunk of info dumping to explain to you what's so wondrous, who the bad guys were all along, why this and that look awesome or are scientifically super strange, ect.
So when at last I knew as much as the other characters, I never went "Ooooh!"... nor even "Aaah".
More like "huh".

Well, apparently moving on to some Sanderson now!

I read the whole Revelation Space trilogy, and I kind of felt it was a waste of time. Of the three, the second book was probably the best, but all my memories of the series are severely tainted by one of the worst endings I've ever read. It was like Reynolds couldn't think of how to end it, so he pulled a solution out of nowhere. Maybe it was foreshadowed, but I was skimming so much (out of boredom) that I didn't catch it.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #7223 on: December 22, 2015, 01:49:28 PM »
Also read The Call by @Eli_Freysson, which was good fun. Definitely recommended if you want something fast-paced and entertaining. I also posted a review on GR8)

I appreciate that, Raptori. :)

Myself, I am currently halfway through Amy Bai's Sword. So far it is holding up well. The base story elements are simple, but there is nothing wrong with simple stories as long as they are well told.

I also recently finished Iron and Velvet, the first Kate Kane, Paranormal investigator book by Alexis Hall. Normally I loathe urban fantasy with the same elements as IaV, but I enjoyed this one to a surprising degree. That is partly due to the cynical, hardened but ultimately sympathetic protagonist, and partly due to deliberate mockery of the stereotypical UF elements. To me the standout feature of the novel is Kate's vampire ex-boyfriend, who lives up to every brooding vampire cliche in existence . . . and consequently is the biggest douchebag in the universe: A faux-chivalric, stalker drama queen who does the Batman thing of sneaking up behind people and waiting for a dramatic moment to startle them by announcing himself.

As for Kate herself, she is just badass enough while still being far from the top of the supernatural power ladder.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: December 23, 2015, 03:52:15 AM »
Started reading The Way of Kings yesterday, since the votes decided so, but this new Novic book just shot up in my tbr pile since its flashy cover caught my eye :

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7225 on: December 23, 2015, 05:22:55 AM »
Started reading The Way of Kings yesterday, since the votes decided so, but this new Novic book just shot up in my tbr pile since its flashy cover caught my eye :

It is a nice cover and a very good book, too.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: December 23, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
I love covers like that.
So few of them... but maybe that let's the really good one stand out better from the dreck.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: December 23, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
I love covers like that.
So few of them... but maybe that let's the really good one stand out better from the dreck.

Last time I picked up a book after its golden cover caught my eye, it was Sorcerer to the crown, and I dropped it out of annoyance and boredom!
But at least I know Novik and like her previous work so I'm not too worried.

Offline DarrenScott

« Reply #7228 on: December 24, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »
Currently i am reading chasing tomorrow.. it is sequel of if tomorrow comes written by sidney sheldon..

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7229 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
I finished Douglas Hulick's Sworn in Steel yesterday and it's super, even better than the first book!
Funnily enough, I noticed it had a caption from Fantasy Faction inside, comparing it to Brent Weeks and Scott Lynch. At first I didn't get the Lynch link, but yes, towards the end.
@ultamentkiller, I think you'd like these (there are 2 books, but they can be read as standalones - although if you plan to read both, read the other first)

I've now started John Gwynne's Malice, and it's got amazing promise in the beginning :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")