June 23, 2017, 02:43:41 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1107916 times)

Offline Yora

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #7200 on: December 18, 2015, 07:31:32 PM »
Finished Night Winds, which I would probably call more Fantasy Horror than Sword & Sorcery like the other Kane books. The creepy kind, not the gore shlock kind. A bit unpolished at times, but I really enjoyed many of the ideas. And there's some great Oh Shit! Moments when everything is suddenly coming together.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #7201 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:54 PM »
I finished Traitor Baru Cormorant, moving on to Tower of Thorns.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7202 on: December 18, 2015, 10:19:35 PM »
Jumping into The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. Translation's a bit dry, but it's an interesting read.
Is that by choice or for uni?
I had to read it in my first year at uni (gosh, so long ago), and I think I'd appreciate it more now hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular What is 2 5 1's 10th? (9)
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #7203 on: December 18, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »
Jumping into The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. Translation's a bit dry, but it's an interesting read.
Is that by choice or for uni?
I had to read it in my first year at uni (gosh, so long ago), and I think I'd appreciate it more now hehe

By choice. I stopped by Hastings on the way home yesterday to pick up MacBeth for my sister and spied that little gem.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: December 18, 2015, 10:59:15 PM »
Saw Winter's Tale last night with Kenneth Branagh and Judi Dench so been reading through the text and highlighting favourite speeches and quotes. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: December 19, 2015, 03:17:41 AM »
Saw Winter's Tale last night with Kenneth Branagh and Judi Dench so been reading through the text and highlighting favourite speeches and quotes.

Total envy.

There is a billiant version of Hamlet produced by Branagh and with him in the title role. It is the best I've ever seen but it is four hours long. ;)
https://www.solarmovie.ph/watch-hamlet-1996.html
"You have to have an open mind, but not so open that your brain leaks out."    Australian Chief Scientist Alan Finkel replying to persistent science denying Senator.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #7206 on: December 19, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
Finished Night Winds, which I would probably call more Fantasy Horror than Sword & Sorcery like the other Kane books. The creepy kind, not the gore shlock kind. A bit unpolished at times, but I really enjoyed many of the ideas. And there's some great Oh Shit! Moments when everything is suddenly coming together.

Creepy kind is the best kind!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #7207 on: December 19, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
In one story there are creatures crawling in the tunnels under an old battlefield, which one local calls "half-men" without any further information what they are. And in this case seeing them eventually revealed was even more disturbing than anything I could have imagined.
And there are three great moments where suddenly all the pieces come together, of a puzzle you might not have even known was there, and everything becomes clear. Horrifically clear.

I think best Wow! moment I've seen in a book so far.
Spriggan's Den

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: December 19, 2015, 11:42:30 PM »
Just started reading The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu and it's already my favourite book I've read this year.
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #7209 on: December 20, 2015, 02:30:22 AM »
Finished Crimson Campaign today. It wasn't as good as the Promise of Blood for me. The plot twists weren't as shocking.
I'll probably start on The Autumn Republic tomorrow.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #7210 on: December 20, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »
Finished Warriors Anthology. my least favorite of the 3 books. I had read a lot of these stories before and the Martin contribution was the Mystery knight which I read a couple of books back in Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

Read the first chapter of Swords and Scoundrels which was a sound opening to the book.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: December 20, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Probably unrelated, but I was in Goodreads and the recommendation tab showed: "Because you read Prince of Thorns, a few more recommendations for Science Fiction."
I was like, "what?"
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Yora

« Reply #7212 on: December 20, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
I like one series that was written by a Polish writer and now I am constantly flooded with Polish fantasy novels. None of which have been translated.

Speaking of which, .i started reading Time of Contempt yesterday. Just as enjoyable as the previous book right from the start. Not quite sure why, but it always feels like something important is going on without ever any padding to indulge in elaborate setups.
Spriggan's Den

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: December 20, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
I like one series that was written by a Polish writer and now I am constantly flooded with Polish fantasy novels. None of which have been translated.

Speaking of which, .i started reading Time of Contempt yesterday. Just as enjoyable as the previous book right from the start. Not quite sure why, but it always feels like something important is going on without ever any padding to indulge in elaborate setups.

You always make me curious with The Witcher novels. I haven't even finished the first game and I'm wondering if the books spoil anything and vice-versa.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Adrian_Selby

• Soulfinder
  • Author of Snakewood, Producer at Boss Alien
    • View Profile
    • My personal blog
« Reply #7214 on: December 20, 2015, 10:09:21 PM »
The Bone Clocks.  Halfway through.  Really good fun.