July 03, 2020, 11:44:37 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2020844 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6825 on: October 22, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
I finished The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell on Tuesday night, in time for tonight's TV debut on BBC2 (although that is only the first book, and I don't know how much the TV version is going to cover). I enjoyed it a lot. It reads quite a lot like a fantasy novel without the fantastic elements. And with real history being far more unrealistic.

Anyway, the point is that I have now started Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce, which is one of those books I have been meaning to read for about two years, but kept putting off. I hope I like it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6826 on: October 22, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
I did say that the first book was enjoyable but it's the sequels that are great didn't I? I swear I had said that... The first one just about scraped a 4 star for me on GR (i.e. just above the "really liked it" threshold), the rest were easily 5 star. Don't give up yet! (waiting a while before you get back to them can be forgiven, of course)  :P

Hey @Raptori, you'll be happy to know I've just requested Black Lung captain from my library :D
Strangely enough, the one I go to (the main one) has books 1, 3 and 4 in the series, but number 2 was in one of the smaller libraries, so it needs to be transferred, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: October 22, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
In Dark Service by Stephen Hunt

A slow start but it's picking up now,Most of the characters I find a bit annoying and there the dreaded three way triangle romance and mention of the bible even through I don't think the world is Earth.

But the world is fascinating it's humongous with advanced technology

I'm struggling with this one,has anyone else read this author I just find the characters really annoying me I feel like giving up on it but already have two DNF this month on the other hand ive read 2 great books as well this month.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: October 22, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »
I did say that the first book was enjoyable but it's the sequels that are great didn't I? I swear I had said that... The first one just about scraped a 4 star for me on GR (i.e. just above the "really liked it" threshold), the rest were easily 5 star. Don't give up yet! (waiting a while before you get back to them can be forgiven, of course)  :P

Hey @Raptori, you'll be happy to know I've just requested Black Lung captain from my library :D
Strangely enough, the one I go to (the main one) has books 1, 3 and 4 in the series, but number 2 was in one of the smaller libraries, so it needs to be transferred, hehe
Nice! Hopefully you like this one more now that you have a better idea of what to expect! :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: October 23, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
I got to 60% of In Dark Service and didn't fell like reading any more of it  :(

Picked up Mr Monster by Dan Wells instead as I know I wouldn't be able to put this one down unfinished.I I've got a new favourite author here  ;D

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6830 on: October 24, 2015, 04:40:13 AM »
I've been trying to read Empire Ascendant by Kameron Hurley. I liked The Mirror Empire overall, though I had some problems with it (mostly the fact that I couldn't connect with any of the characters). I feel like that problem is amplified in this book. The newness of Hurley's fascinating world has worn off, and now I'm left with reading about her characters, and I don't care at all what happens to them.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to DNF it. It's not that it's a bad book. It's just not my type of book. Neither was the first one, but Hurley's fresh ideas helped me push through it.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: October 24, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
I got to 60% of In Dark Service and didn't fell like reading any more of it  :(

Picked up Mr Monster by Dan Wells instead as I know I wouldn't be able to put this one down unfinished.I I've got a new favourite author here  ;D

Yep couldn't put it down on to my next book now  :)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #6832 on: October 24, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Finished Witches Abroad (Discworld #12), and will now finally get started with The Iron Ghost, by our very own Jen Williams  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #6833 on: October 25, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »
The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss.
I've only gotten 1/3 through, but I must say it is poetically genius. I've waited for it for ages to turn up at my SF-book shop in paperback, and it was worth the wait.
Poor Auri (? or not) her world is as weird as was hinted at in the main books. Or not, from her point of view it's now weird at all. If you loved his main two books centered on Kvothe run out and get this.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: October 25, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »
I've only gotten 1/3 through, but I must say it is poetically genius. I've waited for it for ages to turn up at my SF-book shop in paperback, and it was worth the wait.
Poor Auri (? or not) her world is as weird as was hinted at in the main books. Or not, from her point of view it's now weird at all. If you loved his main two books centered on Kvothe run out and get this.

I enjoyed both his novel but the slow regard felt 10 x bigger then his novel it wasn't for me but happy it working for you  :D

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6835 on: October 25, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
Started Ship of Destiny.  Wasn't technically next on the list but figured I would finish the series up now.

Offline Revan

« Reply #6836 on: October 25, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »

Neither enjoyed, nor completely understood it.

It was as weird as the character itself is.

Offline Revan

« Reply #6837 on: October 25, 2015, 11:25:45 PM »
Started Ship of Destiny.  Wasn't technically next on the list but figured I would finish the series up now.

I am at half of it. Started it a couple of days ago.

Slow-ish although some things have started making sense. I had very strong suspicions on what Kennit's past is, and this book is pretty much confirming it.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6838 on: October 25, 2015, 11:44:09 PM »

I am at half of it. Started it a couple of days ago.

Slow-ish although some things have started making sense. I had very strong suspicions on what Kennit's past is, and this book is pretty much confirming it.

I have an idea too, will see if I'm right.   And I'm used to slow going with Hobb.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: October 25, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
Finished Elantris, and Deuce knows I've been flipping through pages toward the end!

Just started The long way to a small angry planet, two chapters in and really liking the writing style, it's fresh and funky.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty