September 28, 2020, 05:08:54 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2073251 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6645 on: October 02, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »
I finished Austin Grossman's Crooked earlier today. That was a real hoot. I love the different way he looks at things. Who would have ever thought Richard Nixon kept the rest of us safe from the things that go bump in the night? I've replaced it with The Return of the Discontinued Man by Mark Hodder, the penultimate Burton & Swinburne book.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #6646 on: October 02, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
Just finished Peter V Brett's The Skull Throne. I enjoyed it, but felt it was flawed, padded, maybe the weakest book in the series so far. Have started reading John Gwynne's Malice: Faithfull & Fallen Book 1, Collins Improve Your Grammar, and Selfish, Shallow, and Self-Absorbed: 16 Writers on the Decision Not to Have Kids edited by Meghan Daum.

Malice, so far, is looking to be right up my street.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #6647 on: October 02, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »
I finished The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson last night, completing the original Mistborn Trilogy. I have to say, I didn't like it as much as the first two. It went in some directions that didn't work for me. It's still good, but the first two were great.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #6648 on: October 02, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
Reading Priest (Ratcatchers #1) by Matthew Colville
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6649 on: October 02, 2015, 06:39:08 PM »
I'm now on Half a war, the last in Abercrombie's latest trilogy.

I'm not sure I like the format of

main characters from previous book grow up and become less key
+
new young characters introduced

So we have
book 1 = main character A
book 2 = less important A + main characters B and C
book 3 = less important A, B, C + main characters D and E

It sort of defeats the purpose of a trilogy, which is to just dive into books 2 and 3 being completely comfortable with the characters :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #6650 on: October 02, 2015, 08:06:42 PM »
I finished The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson last night, completing the original Mistborn Trilogy. I have to say, I didn't like it as much as the first two. It went in some directions that didn't work for me. It's still good, but the first two were great.

Hrm. That's what I am reading now...

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #6651 on: October 02, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Just finished Peter V Brett's The Skull Throne. I enjoyed it, but felt it was flawed, padded, maybe the weakest book in the series so far.

Dang. I had to stop reading Daylight War about halfway. Something about it wasn't working. I wanted to go back to it eventually, but if the next one isn't any better, maybe I'll pass.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6652 on: October 02, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »
Just finished Peter V Brett's The Skull Throne. I enjoyed it, but felt it was flawed, padded, maybe the weakest book in the series so far.

Dang. I had to stop reading Daylight War about halfway. Something about it wasn't working. I wanted to go back to it eventually, but if the next one isn't any better, maybe I'll pass.

I actually preferred The Skull Throne to the Daylight War. Just be prepared to see little of Arlen or Jadir in the book. And I preferred the last 2/3 of The Skull Throne to the first 1/3. It's set up a little different, instead of including POVs from each of the different regions from the get go, he focuses on the Krasians for like the first third (my least favorite part), then the Hollow for the next third (which I enjoyed, but not for typical epic fantasy reasons. It was very Jerry Springer like with all the drama) and then the last third where everything comes together (and the shit hits the fan).
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6653 on: October 02, 2015, 08:25:24 PM »
I'm now on Half a war, the last in Abercrombie's latest trilogy.

I'm not sure I like the format of

main characters from previous book grow up and become less key
+
new young characters introduced

So we have
book 1 = main character A
book 2 = less important A + main characters B and C
book 3 = less important A, B, C + main characters D and E

It sort of defeats the purpose of a trilogy, which is to just dive into books 2 and 3 being completely comfortable with the characters :-\

It is different, and you certainly lose some of the character connections that you would typically carry through in a book, but at the same time I thought it was an interesting way to tell a long running story that spans generation. Also, since it is YA, given the timeframe, he had to change up the characters because they'd be too old ;)

And I don't think the characters lost their importance to the story, they just moved to the outskirts of the perspective. If that makes any sense ...
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline HAnthe

« Reply #6654 on: October 02, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
I finished Two Serpents Rise, which sadly didn't capture me nearly as much as Three Parts Dead.  The setting and worldbuilding is still great, but the whole plot hinged on the protagonist being an instantaneously lovestruck idiot and the secondary characters just letting him go with that even though they had qualms.  I don't even know if the twist was supposed to be a twist, it was so telegraphed.  Still, it did introduce me to two side-characters I really liked, which is more than I can say for the side-characters in Three Parts Dead.

Now on to Sabriel by Garth Nix, which has been sitting on my bookshelf for about eight years.  v_v

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6655 on: October 02, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
I actually preferred The Skull Throne to the Daylight War.
Me too!
Skull Throne is my second favourite, out of the 4 books (after the first).

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6656 on: October 03, 2015, 06:37:10 AM »

You mean only 1/3 of the book is actually good? Maybe I'll put off reading it again. I tried once before but just couldn't do it. I feel like this series is the best example I've ever seen of an author taking a great story in exactly the wrong direction.

It's not terrible or anything, but I have yet to feel like any of the subsequent books even come close to the first, which is among my favorite books.
I actually preferred The Skull Throne to the Daylight War. Just be prepared to see little of Arlen or Jadir in the book. And I preferred the last 2/3 of The Skull Throne to the first 1/3. It's set up a little different, instead of including POVs from each of the different regions from the get go, he focuses on the Krasians for like the first third (my least favorite part), then the Hollow for the next third (which I enjoyed, but not for typical epic fantasy reasons. It was very Jerry Springer like with all the drama) and then the last third where everything comes together (and the shit hits the fan).

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #6657 on: October 03, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
I actually preferred The Skull Throne to the Daylight War.
Me too!
Skull Throne is my second favourite, out of the 4 books (after the first).

It's a while since I read daylight war, and I read that straight after the first two. Maybe I was carried through on a wave of enthusiasm as I don't remember feeling it was weaker than The Skull Throne. I think @Arry is spot on with the summary though.

Maybe for me it's the fact that things that were starting to bother me in Daylight War seem to have come to fruition in The Skull Throne. Things like the Warding being able to do anything and everything and often feeling more like easy to manipulate modern tech than magic, the author falling more and more in love with the intricacies of Krasian culture, the cosy world building in the Hollow that started to feel more like the beginning phase of an RTS or a a game of Civ than fiction, and worst of all how the climatic end to the daylight war was carried through in this book.

I mean that does all sound very negative and hyper critical, but I did, more or less, enjoy it by the end. Mostly.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6658 on: October 03, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »
You mean only 1/3 of the book is actually good? Maybe I'll put off reading it again. I tried once before but just couldn't do it. I feel like this series is the best example I've ever seen of an author taking a great story in exactly the wrong direction.

I enjoyed 2/3 of the book. Though my reasons for enjoying the section in the hollow were quite different from why I normally enjoy fantasy
Spoiler for Hiden:
All the drama around Rojer and his wives, plus the baby daddy drama with Leesha

I didn't care for the first third as much, but even that section I preferred to Daylight War
-- George R.R. Martin

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6659 on: October 04, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
All the drama around Rojer and his wives, plus the baby daddy drama with Leesha
I think you used
Spoiler for Hiden:
the expression 'Real Housewives of Hollow County' on your review or a post, and it's really funny because I don't know who came up with the expression first, since I've seen Peat use it as well on twitter
;D