July 13, 2020, 02:55:48 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2026432 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6270 on: July 24, 2015, 03:02:53 AM »
I had to interrupt Riyria 3 because it was a bit of a doorstop

Think you will enjoy when you get back @ScarletBea. Halfway through listening to Riyria Revelations 3, Heir of Novron now on audible. It is long, but like Royce, Hadrian and Arista so much just had to keep listening all the way through and also have Riyria Chronicle's lined up ready to go. Having RiyiraFest. ;D

Nothing of great depth or needing concentration but "cracking good yarn", interesting politicking which I enjoy,  plenty of humour, details of weapons, battles etc seem to have been well researched and described, but I wouldn't know. Relaxing to listen to and generally enjoyable. Not good at genre labelling, but guess this is Sword and Sorcery? Or is this Epic? Or both?

@Elfy and all Kevin Hearne fans,  he is editing Staked right now, next in Iron Druid series, so maybe later in year?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6271 on: July 24, 2015, 03:21:20 AM »
Only good thing about the after effects of heat exhaustion is that it lets me finished a book. Those Above might not be my favorite Daniel Polansky novel, but I think it's his strongest so far. Really tightly plotted, even if the plot goes nowhere. I think that might be why it took me forever to finish. Oh well.

No clue what I'm going to pick up next. Kinda want to try Titus Groan, but I think my brain's a little shot right now to fully enjoy that. Considering The Long Way Down by Craig Schaefer. Seems like pulpy UF/Noir that might be the fix I'm looking for.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6272 on: July 24, 2015, 07:22:52 AM »
I had to interrupt Riyria 3 because it was a bit of a doorstop

Think you will enjoy when you get back @ScarletBea. Halfway through listening to Riyria Revelations 3, Heir of Novron now on audible. It is long, but like Royce, Hadrian and Arista so much just had to keep listening all the way through and also have Riyria Chronicle's lined up ready to go. Having RiyiraFest. ;D

Oh I don't think you quite got what I meant! I love big books and I'm loving Riyria - the reason I said that was being too big to bring on my holidays hehe
My bag is heavy enough as it is, with all I carry around (guidebook, camera, diary, umbrella some days, etc etc) :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: July 24, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
I'm taking a short break from Wheel of Time now that I'm halfway through the Jordan books, and reading Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb (ARC) instead. I'm about 30% through now, and so far it seems like it'll be the best Fitz book out of the whole series.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: July 24, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
I'm taking a short break from Wheel of Time now that I'm halfway through the Jordan books, and reading Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb (ARC) instead. I'm about 30% through now, and so far it seems like it'll be the best Fitz book out of the whole series.

You are storming through those WOT books! I ve made it to Nemesis Games. The last 2 Expanse books have been hard work but have heard that Nemesis Gates gets things back on track.

Also have a history of the Balkans to read.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »

You are storming through those WOT books! I ve made it to Nemesis Games. The last 2 Expanse books have been hard work but have heard that Nemesis Gates gets things back on track.

Haha yeah, actually I read the first five books in the space of a month, slowed down a bit with the sixth one since we've been busy again!  :P

How many Expanse books are there?!  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: July 24, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »

Haha yeah, actually I read the first five books in the space of a month, slowed down a bit with the sixth one since we've been busy again!  :P

5 so far.  Leviathan's Wake and Caliban's War are great fun. I found Abaddon's Gate and Cibola Burn a bit of a slug.  TBH they are fun pulpy sci fi, but actually finding myself now wanting to read something a bit more 'literary.' 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: July 24, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »

5 so far.  Leviathan's Wake and Caliban's War are great fun. I found Abaddon's Gate and Cibola Burn a bit of a slug.  TBH they are fun pulpy sci fi, but actually finding myself now wanting to read something a bit more 'literary.'
Cool thanks, wonder how many there'll be in the end. I know what you mean, it can get a bit tiring to read the same kind of books constantly. Two million words of Robert Jordan and I felt more than ready for something different!  :P

Offline Rostum

« Reply #6278 on: July 25, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
Finished the Jen Williams Iron Ghost which I preferred to The Copper Promise and believe her writing is far more polished in this book. Thanks Jen very enjoyable. I am reading my way though The Surviving the dead zombie series on kindle to get used to the thing at the moment.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:59 AM »
I've put away Gardens of the Moon and instead picked up Legend by David Gemmell. Really quite like it. It's rather simple both in language or plot, but it's still really nice to read. And I so much love how pretty much everyone tries to be practical and do the rational thing, rather than taking completely pointless risks and throwing away opportunities only for pride.

30% into Legend now, It's quite fast paced well for me anyway but the Rek and Virae romance I just find odd especially at the beginning it just felt rushed and Druss recruiting outlaws in a forest didn't seem believable .The 30 warrior priest sect sound interesting through.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: July 26, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
Finished Fool's Quest last night, absolutely brilliant book, and yet again it ends in a cruel cliffhanger. Why can't the next one be out already?  >:(

Definitely my favourite Fitz book, only behind Liveships for me because it doesn't have the same complexity (understandably). Can't wait for the third one, though I have no clue whatsoever how she's going to wrap up the story in just one more book... wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) if it turned out to be a four book series.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6281 on: July 26, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
Finished Splintered this morning, and am wibbling between a couple of books now.  Am thinking of going back to Song of Arbonne or maybe The City's Son or Cinder, or I may wander into our library and pick up something else totally random  :)
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: July 26, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »

Hi @Nighteyes, do you have particular interest in history of Balkans during WW2? There is set of six older novels called The Fortunes of War by Olivia Manning which is fictional but accurate, interesting and extremely well written. I have read them couple of times and gladly recommend, because apart from good story they give insight and knowledge explaining some of the causes of the chaos and instability there at the time. Balkan history interests me, but I struggle as it is complex, and fairly depressing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortunes_of_War_(novel_series)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6283 on: July 26, 2015, 02:16:13 PM »
Was in a fascinating antique store yesterday ("Portland Architectural Salvage": filled with doors, window frames, knobs, WCs, stuary, and more from demolished buildings and ships) and found a travelogue called Looking for the Lost about an American expatriot's walking trip through corners of Japan in the 1990s looking for "lost Japan." @SugoiMe, where were you? The book's first section is about Tsugaru in the Aomori Prefecture. Just a few pages in really, but wonderfully written.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: July 26, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
I reread Mathilda by Roald Dahl. Short, entertaining books are all I manage at the moment.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)