July 13, 2020, 02:32:22 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2026402 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6255 on: July 18, 2015, 11:43:42 AM »
Splintered by AG Howard.  Sequel/retelling/homage to Alice in Wonderland.  I was first attracted by the gorgeous cover art, but am enjoying the story too.

Good lord.  This is a thing? Well I hope you are enjoying it!
The Real Powers That Be

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6256 on: July 18, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »
I had to interrupt Riyria 3 because it was a bit of a doorstop (no, it won't make me get into ebooks), and got a book by Emma Newman from the library, Between two thorns, to bring with me.
It might actually be considered urban fantasy (!), about this world that exists in parallel with ours. Still in the beginning, but good potential!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6257 on: July 19, 2015, 12:27:42 AM »
I had to interrupt Riyria 3 because it was a bit of a doorstop (no, it won't make me get into ebooks), and got a book by Emma Newman from the library, Between two thorns, to bring with me.
It might actually be considered urban fantasy (!), about this world that exists in parallel with ours. Still in the beginning, but good potential!

We enjoyed these a lot.

Splintered by AG Howard.  Sequel/retelling/homage to Alice in Wonderland.  I was first attracted by the gorgeous cover art, but am enjoying the story too.

What do you mean by "a thing"?  All things are a thing, what is making this one special?  It's like reading variations or retellings of other classic kids books (Oz, Peter Pan, umpty-million fairytales).
And I am enjoying it (so far - she's just gotten to Wonderland, so plenty of opportunities to go pear-shaped yet  :))
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6258 on: July 19, 2015, 12:41:28 AM »
Emma herself refers to them as urban fantasy, so they kind of are, although they do have elements from other sub genres.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: July 19, 2015, 01:29:21 AM »
I've decided Seveneves will be a back-burner kind of book. For my primary reading I've started Iron & Blood by Gail Z. Martin & Larry N. Martin, which I bought today at the bookstore. My itch for steampunk has been acting up, and it seems like this book might deliver some relief.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6260 on: July 19, 2015, 05:34:16 AM »
Finished Heir of Sea and Fire by Patricia A. McKillip. I enjoyed The Riddle Master of Hed, and I enjoyed this one a little bit more. McKillip writes some beautiful prose. The story seems a bit old-fashioned by today's standards, but it's still a good read.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: July 19, 2015, 08:28:29 AM »

We enjoyed these a lot.

What do you mean by "a thing"?  All things are a thing, what is making this one special?  It's like reading variations or retellings of other classic kids books (Oz, Peter Pan, umpty-million fairytales).
And I am enjoying it (so far - she's just gotten to Wonderland, so plenty of opportunities to go pear-shaped yet  :))

Because Alice in Wonderland is a classic piece of Children's nonsense writing and renowned for its surrealism. That looks like a paranormal romance take on the idea - along with a gorgeous to die for Mad Hatter (and lord only knows who that hunk on the 3rd cover is.) Just like a lot of people hated the Disney remake with Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter because it took all the wit and nonsensical genius out of it and made it into a straight epic good versus evil fantasy, this homage looks as it too has completely missed the point.  But that awful Disney film took over a billion at the box office, so suspect that trilogy you are reading will also find a lot of fans.  Though to me it looks as reverential to Alice in Wonderland as Homer Simpson was reverential to Mr Smith goes to Washington.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #6262 on: July 21, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »
Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, which was awesome, finished Stormfront, book 1 of the dresden files, really enjoyed it. And just started Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson, any thoughts on this one?
Fan of Classic/Epic Fantasy and Grimdark

Working on writing a book. Any advice will be taken graciously.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6263 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »
Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, which was awesome, finished Stormfront, book 1 of the dresden files, really enjoyed it. And just started Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson, any thoughts on this one?

If you liked Stormfront you should really really like the rest of the Dresden books.  The first few are good but he really hits his stride with them around book 4 or so.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6264 on: July 21, 2015, 03:48:58 PM »

Lies and Stormfront are perhaps the direct opposite of Unwrapped Sky. Still a good book.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline shadowsherald

« Reply #6265 on: July 21, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »
Just got back into reading for pleasure after a lot of academic reading...managed to find my way back into Elizabeth Moon's Paladin's Legacy series quite easily - just finished book 3Echoes of Betrayal and started on Limits of Power...made me question why I ever stopped finding time to read!
'Throughout your life advance daily, becoming more skillful than yesterday, more skillful than today. This is never-ending.' - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, In the Shadow of the Leaves.

https://jackbeaman.wordpress.com/

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6266 on: July 22, 2015, 02:24:55 AM »

Lies and Stormfront are perhaps the direct opposite of Unwrapped Sky. Still a good book.
Nothing wrong with a bit of variation. I finished Cress yesterday (now have to wait for the conclusion in Winter) I really like Marissa Meyer's views of the various fairytale heroines (Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White). To change it up a bit I started John Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #6267 on: July 22, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
I'm in the middle of Half a War, which I was forced to buy in hardback to match the rest of the series. I'm enjoying it so far, but maybe a little less than Half the World, which I really liked a lot. There's still a way to go, though.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6268 on: July 22, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »
I've started Joanne Harris The gospel of Loki, and it's looking to be quite funny.

Just look at an example of the first page, the cast of characters:

Thor - the Thunderer. Likes hitting things. Not a fan of Yours Truly.
Balder - God of peace. Yeah, right. Handsome, sporty, popular. Sound a little smug to you? Yes, I thought so too.
Mani - the Moon. Drives a cool car.
Sól - the Sun. Drives a hot car.
Honir - the Silent. Never shuts up.

and so on ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6269 on: July 23, 2015, 02:42:42 AM »
I've started Joanne Harris The gospel of Loki, and it's looking to be quite funny.

Just look at an example of the first page, the cast of characters:

Thor - the Thunderer. Likes hitting things. Not a fan of Yours Truly.
Balder - God of peace. Yeah, right. Handsome, sporty, popular. Sound a little smug to you? Yes, I thought so too.
Mani - the Moon. Drives a cool car.
Sól - the Sun. Drives a hot car.
Honir - the Silent. Never shuts up.

and so on ;D
Atticus O'Sullivan in Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series does refer to Thor as a bit of an asshat, which seems to tally up with the description there.