July 13, 2020, 02:40:17 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2026421 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6240 on: July 16, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
My camp nanowrimo story will have dragon combat but beyond LotR and SoIaF I haven't read anything with dragons, let alone combat. I meant to read His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire) by Naomi Novik as research but I forgot the title and started reading A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent, by Marie Brennan instead by mistake. Still good but no dragon combat.

There's a new book by the author of the Iron Elves trilogy in which he has dragons instead of helicopters in a fantasy version of the Viet Name war. You might look there.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6241 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
I finished Time Salvagers by Wesley Chu, which was fun.

I am almost done with When the Heaven's Fall, which, I don't know. I'm almost done, that's about what I can say right now.

I am also about half way through Half a War. I seem to have a preference for his non-YA books, and the further I get in the series, the stronger I feel about that. But, it's still good.

Started the audiobook for My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland, which seems to be fitting my mood pretty well.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: July 16, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »
Started the audiobook for My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland, which seems to be fitting my mood pretty well.

You need to tell me what it's like it's been on my TBR pile for a while,I also really like the artwork on the cover  :)

I've heard iZombies tv show is similar too it
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:40:23 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6243 on: July 16, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »

You need to tell me what it's like it's been on my TBR pile for a while,I also really like the artwork on the cover  :)

I've heard iZombies tv show is similar too it

I'm enjoying it so far and yes, it is eerily similar to the iZombie show. At least so far. (Maybe 20% done?)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline RemadeGold

« Reply #6244 on: July 17, 2015, 12:45:45 AM »
Okay, after this post I need to go away for a bit, lest I become annoying. 0=)

Anyway. I am currently reading Lord of Chaos. Wheel of Time will be the longest series I've ever finished once I'm done. (Most of what I've read ends by 7 or 8.)  I'm also listening to the audiobook of (and need to finish)  The Red Pyramid.

TBR: A Crown of Swords (WoT #7), then a break from WoT for Name of the Wind, Gardens of the Moon, Lies of Lamora, and Promise of Blood. Next audiobook: Throne of Fire (sequel to Red Pyramid), then Serpent's Shadow (#3), Divergent, and The Last Olympian, because apparently I missed a Percy Jackson book.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:53:28 AM by remadegold »
~your ravenously affectionate forum buddy

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: July 17, 2015, 08:45:30 PM »
I got Neal Stephenson's Seveneves on OverDrive today, and I've started reading the first chapter. Not sure how I'm going to like it, it's not really pulling me in just yet. I'll give it a chance though as the problem may just be that fantasy is more my cup of tea than science-fiction is.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6246 on: July 17, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »
I finished My Life as a White Trash Zombie in a day, it was good, I think I'll likely read the next book at some point.

Now starting Armada by Ernest Cline.
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6247 on: July 18, 2015, 01:15:48 AM »
I finished The Lies of Locke Lamora (again), it just never gets old and is as fresh and entertaining to me now as the first time I read it. I've moved straight on to Red Seas Under Red Skies.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6248 on: July 18, 2015, 01:30:06 AM »
I've only read it the once, but I can still picture the climactic scenes with poor Jean and the "fireball" thingy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6249 on: July 18, 2015, 02:34:11 AM »
I got Neal Stephenson's Seveneves on OverDrive today, and I've started reading the first chapter. Not sure how I'm going to like it, it's not really pulling me in just yet. I'll give it a chance though as the problem may just be that fantasy is more my cup of tea than science-fiction is.

I haven't read that one yet. So far, I've liked two of the three Stephenson's I've read: Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. But I could not get through Cryptonomicon.

I also find that fantasy is more my thing than science fiction. I usually pick up science fiction when I'm in the mood for something a little different. Young adult and middle grade fantasy can also fill the same role in my reading.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6250 on: July 18, 2015, 02:59:08 AM »

I haven't read that one yet. So far, I've liked two of the three Stephenson's I've read: Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. But I could not get through Cryptonomicon.

I also find that fantasy is more my thing than science fiction. I usually pick up science fiction when I'm in the mood for something a little different. Young adult and middle grade fantasy can also fill the same role in my reading.
I got through Cryptonomicon, but yes I found it quite a chore and it hasn't prompted me to read any of the author's other works.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6251 on: July 18, 2015, 03:37:30 AM »
I loved Cryptonomicon. Reamde was nice, but not great.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: July 18, 2015, 04:39:26 AM »
It feels slow going with Seveneves primarily because
Spoiler for Hiden:
so far the first chapter seems to be exposition of who the characters are and where they were when the moon shattered. Yes it is a important event, but apparently there are only so many times I can read about people finding the moon broken.
I'm not sure that's positive foreshadowing of how I'll like the rest of the book.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #6253 on: July 18, 2015, 04:53:44 AM »
Finished Retribution Falls and have Ship of Magic lined up next.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6254 on: July 18, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »
Splintered by AG Howard.  Sequel/retelling/homage to Alice in Wonderland.  I was first attracted by the gorgeous cover art, but am enjoying the story too.

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters