July 13, 2020, 02:14:15 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2026394 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6225 on: July 11, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
Just finished Abaddon's Gate by James S A Corey. Found it a struggle TBH. I didn't really care for the new characters introduced, and actually not much happened. Felt like a bridging book setting up the next part of the series. Replaced it with Playing the Shape Game by Anthony Browne. Not fantasy at all! But gorgeous illustrations!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6226 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37:24 AM »
I just read Vicious by VE Schwab. Absolutely stunning book, couldn't put it down. Going to be moving straight onto her most recent one, A Darker Shade of Magic.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
It's totally different, Titus, but still really, really good. V. E. Schwab is my new favourite writer. Vicious is one of the best things I've read this year. You may also like Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black books if you haven't already read them. Vicious made me think of them.

Offline Titus

« Reply #6227 on: July 12, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
I just read Vicious by VE Schwab. Absolutely stunning book, couldn't put it down. Going to be moving straight onto her most recent one, A Darker Shade of Magic.

It's totally different, Titus, but still really, really good. V. E. Schwab is my new favourite writer. Vicious is one of the best things I've read this year. You may also like Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black books if you haven't already read them. Vicious made me think of them.
Thanks - yeah I'm 15% in, but really enjoying the concept. VE Schwab has certainly shot up my watch list, will be keeping an eye out for future releases,  for sure.

Miriam Black is on my radar too.  I recently read a collection of short stories by Wendig (Irregular Creatures) to see if I enjoyed his style, and I did. I will no doubt pick up the first MB book soon.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
Now reading The Princess Bride first time reading it and haven't seen the film either.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6229 on: July 13, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
Now reading The Princess Bride first time reading it and haven't seen the film either.
Don't worry, hehe - I haven't read the book, and only saw the film about 2 years ago (very funny!)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6230 on: July 13, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
Both are favorites of mine. Happy reading!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #6231 on: July 13, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »
I'm reading Authority by Jeff VanderMeer, the second book in the Southern Reach trilogy. Honestly, I'm struggling a bit. It feels like it lacks momentum; nothing much is driving me forwards through the story. I guess the first book, Annihilation, sort of had the same problem, but it was quite a lot shorter and more contained. I guess the problem with the weird is that I have no idea what's going to happen, so I can't anticipate anything, and nothing carries any weight.

Still, it's early days yet, maybe I'll get drawn into it as it goes on.
I decided to just push through it at the weekend so I could get on to something else. I think it benefited from having the focused attention, and I ended up kind of enjoying it, but I still didn't like it as much as the first one (which won the Shirley Jackson award over the weekend). I guess I ought to finish off the trilogy at some point.

I then managed to blast through the very short The Enemy Stars by Poul Anderson, an SF novel about a stranded starship, from 1959 (with another guest appearance of the slide rule). This was more enjoyable than I expected, and short enough (140 pages) that I finished it in a single non-working day.

Now I just need to find something to last me until Half A War is published on Thursday, or which I won't mind abandoning for a while when I pick that up.

Offline HAnthe

« Reply #6232 on: July 13, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »
I was knocked offline for a while by computer failure, but at least it gave me an opportunity to plow through some books.  ...not that I made any progress on my To Read list, since I was still neck deep in the Foreigner series, so most of my time was spent on six of those.  I did read The Void by Brett J. Talley in between, but it was kind of meh.

Now I am forcing myself to break away from C. J. Cherryh for a moment to read Dragonfly Falling by Adrian Tchaikovsky, like I was supposed to do a month ago.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6233 on: July 14, 2015, 12:35:50 AM »
Don't worry, hehe - I haven't read the book, and only saw the film about 2 years ago (very funny!)
The book and the film are quite different. They're both meta, but the book even more so than the film if that's even possible. Lejays17 loves the film, she can quote the whole thing word perfect.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6234 on: July 14, 2015, 12:44:03 PM »
I've now started the last book in the Riyria Revelations, Heir of Novron.
The story just keeps getting better and better :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6235 on: July 14, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »
Just started @Elfy's Shattered Chaos. Fun to be back on Intellida for book 3. And here I am on page 3. Where are the Gleems?! They should be in paragraph one, right? Hmm. I smell a rat.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JSH

« Reply #6236 on: July 15, 2015, 07:02:15 PM »
Just finished Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher.  It's grim, dark, and crazy. My favorite kind of book.

Offline Titus

« Reply #6237 on: July 16, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »

Just about finished with this now... and wasn't as impressed with it as I was with Vicious.  I enjoyed it, but felt after a really strong start the story tapered off somewhat. 

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6238 on: July 16, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
The book and the film are quite different. They're both meta, but the book even more so than the film if that's even possible. Lejays17 loves the film, she can quote the whole thing word perfect.

In my defense, it is a very quotable film!  ;D  And I have watched it an awful lot - whenever we were allowed to rent a video (showing my age here  ;)) as kids, that would be the top of the list of the weekly rentals.  I reckon I'd be getting up to 100 viewings by now.  I've seen Star Wars (A New Hope) more than that though, but I can't quote as easily from that.

Back on topic, been in a reading slump in Fntasy for a bit.  I finished Uprooted the other day, and have been reading girls-own the last few days.  I think I'm going to read Lunar Chronmicles on Elfy's recommendation nect though.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Geekory

« Reply #6239 on: July 16, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
My camp nanowrimo story will have dragon combat but beyond LotR and SoIaF I haven't read anything with dragons, let alone combat. I meant to read His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire) by Naomi Novik as research but I forgot the title and started reading A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent, by Marie Brennan instead by mistake. Still good but no dragon combat.