July 13, 2020, 06:22:22 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2026868 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6120 on: June 12, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »
Just finished Johnathon Strange and Mr Norrel which I found to be a wonderful read and very polished for a first book. I will be starting The Iron Ghost tonight.

Offline ChrisW

« Reply #6121 on: June 13, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
Just finished A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall. He/she can write a good story, not to sure about the world building though. Took me forever to be able to get a decent grasp on the world. Personally me thinks he/she tried to make it to fantasyish. I also didn't really like Zosia or any of the female characters for that matter.... ???

Next I'm going to attempt a self published book from a forum member....A Warrior's Path (The Castes and the OutCastes Book 1) by Davis Ashura.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6122 on: June 13, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
Next I'm going to attempt a self published book from a forum member....A Warrior's Path (The Castes and the OutCastes Book 1) by Davis Ashura.
I'll be very interested in your review. I haven't tried it yet.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6123 on: June 14, 2015, 01:27:27 AM »

I thought it was really good.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6124 on: June 14, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »
I'm now on Michael Sullivan's Thief of Swords (it finally arrived - don't ever believe the number of days for delivery given on Book Depository >:().
It's looking to be a really fun adventure :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6125 on: June 14, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »
I finished Murder of Mages by Marshall Ryan Maresca. I may start When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner next. Or possibly The Pyre by David Hair. Decisions.

I've also started The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis, enjoying it so far. Also need to get back to Last Call for the book club.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6126 on: June 15, 2015, 12:21:49 AM »
I also started a post apocalyptic book called Three, the first of The Legends of the Duskwalker by Jay Posey. It has a very Dark Tower feel about it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6127 on: June 15, 2015, 12:55:14 AM »
I just finished the 3rd Lady Trent book Voyage of the Basilisk, and am now onto Uprooted by Naomi Novik.  I haven't read anything by her before.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6128 on: June 15, 2015, 03:46:04 AM »
am now onto Uprooted by Naomi Novik.  I haven't read anything by her before.
I am now strangely addicted to the Temeraire books... I got 1 and 2 from the charity shop, then found 4 at the library (no 3), and on saturday when I was there again I brought home 5. I know 6 and 7 will soon follow, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline RussetDivinity

« Reply #6129 on: June 15, 2015, 03:52:29 AM »
I'm nearly done with Blood Red. I have mixed feelings about Mercedes Lackey's writing, but it's more from a matter of personal taste; her plucky heroines always feel a bit too plucky for me. It's a good book, though, and I might start going through her others later this month.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6130 on: June 15, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
am now onto Uprooted by Naomi Novik.  I haven't read anything by her before.
I am now strangely addicted to the Temeraire books... I got 1 and 2 from the charity shop, then found 4 at the library (no 3), and on saturday when I was there again I brought home 5. I know 6 and 7 will soon follow, hehe

I've been meaning to read the Temeraire books for ages - Elfy's been nagging me to  :)  it's that old case of too many books, not enough time  ;D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: June 15, 2015, 07:49:28 PM »
Just about to start The Dragon Reborn. The first two books were enjoyable, though I felt really let down by the anticlimax of the first book. They'd have both been solid four star books for me, but that ending made it feel wrong to give the first book anything more than 3.  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6132 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:11 AM »
Finished Arrow's Flight by Mercedes Lackey. I remember enjoying Arrows of the Queen when I read it a while back. But this one didn't quite hit the mark. It wasn't bad, but I felt as if it were just a series of things happening rather than a cohesive plot. To some extent, that happened in the first book, but the conclusion felt more satisfying in that one.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6133 on: June 16, 2015, 02:52:26 AM »
Finished Arrow's Flight by Mercedes Lackey. I remember enjoying Arrows of the Queen when I read it a while back. But this one didn't quite hit the mark. It wasn't bad, but I felt as if it were just a series of things happening rather than a cohesive plot. To some extent, that happened in the first book, but the conclusion felt more satisfying in that one.
Hit the mark? i do hope that was intentional pun.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Annomander Matt

« Reply #6134 on: June 16, 2015, 04:57:20 AM »
I just started Malice and it seems interesting through about 25 pages. I'm just having feelings of regret over starting another uncompleted series. I have to wait for the last books in Dagger and Coin, Raven's Shadow, ASOIF, Kingkiller, etc and it gets hard to remember what's going on in each series. Add to the fact I have almost zero desire to reread previous books to catch up before the new ones come out, and it seems like I'll just be experiencing the series' for the end result, instead of piecing together all of the hints and subtleties throughout the journey. This is especially true of ASOIF, which I've completely forgotten over the last 53 years since ADWD came out.