July 06, 2020, 01:12:41 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2022538 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6075 on: May 31, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
Degree done! :o

CONGRATS!! :)

Finished Patrick Ness' A Monster Calls last night. What a beautiful story. Found the writing to be very compelling - I was gripped the whole way, even if I could see what it was all about from the beginning. And the ending of the book actually felt perfect.

Loved that book. Keep meaning to read another one of his books.

I finished Day Four Absolutely loved it, one of the funnest and creepiest books. And I will never set foot on a cruise ship.

I started both The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigulpa and Last Call by Tim Powers for the book club.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: May 31, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »
Looking between Varjak Paw, re-read of The Scar, or short stories from the Rogues anthology.
Went for Varjak Paw. A modern children's classic, I think. Genuinely loved it.

I am teaching a series of Literacy lessons this term based on Varjak Paw. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #6077 on: May 31, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »
Hehe thank you all, I appreciate it!  :) Currently mired in the Russian Revolution!

I read the first week's part of Last Call last night for the book club - it is excellent! So impressed with Powers' writing - recommend anyone thinking about it grabs a copy and joins in!
Make Another World.

Offline Yora

« Reply #6078 on: May 31, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
Now I am at my third attempt to continue Blood of Elves, which I started four months ago but also got distracted from by shorter novels. I actually really love it so far, but when you're reading a 2000 page series, shoving in a short one on the side always seems like such a minor thing that should be quickly done.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6079 on: May 31, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »
Aside: I'll congratulate Idlewilder on Wednesday, when his degree will actually be done, after the last exam. Not yet ;)
(if I read your post correctly, Doug!)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #6080 on: May 31, 2015, 10:28:53 PM »
You're correct, Bea! Come 1pm on Wednesday I'll be collapsing with relief (I hope).
Make Another World.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: June 01, 2015, 12:52:14 AM »
FWill now start reading Pratchett's Reaper Man  :)

Saraband, all TP's books about DEATH are amazing, but that one is excellent. Hope you enjoy it, it conjures up so many hilarious pictures in the imagination, best not read in public. ;)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #6082 on: June 01, 2015, 12:34:16 PM »

Saraband, all TP's books about DEATH are amazing, but that one is excellent. Hope you enjoy it, it conjures up so many hilarious pictures in the imagination, best not read in public. ;)

I'm loving it so far (I'm noticing I've been saying this about every Discworld book aside from Faust Eric), @Lady Ty! I've been reading the Discworld novels in order, but so far Mort has been my absolute favorite and since then I've been looking forward to reading the next novel about DEATH  ;D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6083 on: June 01, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »

I'm loving it so far (I'm noticing I've been saying this about every Discworld book aside from Faust Eric), @Lady Ty! I've been reading the Discworld novels in order, but so far Mort has been my absolute favorite and since then I've been looking forward to reading the next novel about DEATH  ;D

Mort is @Elfy's favourite ever Discworld book too, and he's read all of them except the last one (or maybe two).

I'm currently reading:

Of Noble Family - Mary Robinette Kowal (5th & final of the Glamourist Histories)
Daring - something Elliott (or maybe Elliott something  :))

And I've got a rapidly growing pile of TBR that Elfy keeps saying I have to read Next...
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6084 on: June 01, 2015, 09:21:48 PM »
I've started Lauren Owen's The quick.
To be honest, I couldn't remember why it was on my wishlist, but when I saw it at the library and read the blurb, it sounded ok, sort of victorian ghost story in private clubs.

And now I've just did a search on it here on F-F and found this:
"A tale of vampires and those seeking their power. Atmospheric and evocative, capturing everything that made the classic vampire stories so thrilling."

I didn't know it was classic vampires, yay :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6085 on: June 04, 2015, 05:01:39 AM »
Finished The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington. I really enjoyed this book. Ever since finishing The Wheel of Time, I've been looking for something that captures the spirit of that series (though perhaps not the long-winded writing style). In this book, I finally found it. It was all the things I liked about The Wheel of Time without all the tedious and superfluous bits. If you're a fan of Jordan and Sanderson, this book is definitely worth checking out.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #6086 on: June 04, 2015, 10:43:52 AM »
I finished The Heir of Night by Helen Lowe yesterday. This book beat Prince of Thorns to win the 2012 Morningstar award. I liked it quite a lot, but I think PoT was the standout book in the shortlist. I'd have placed Heir of Night second. It's a more traditional youngish girl and boy coming into their power sort of story, but with an interesting setting.

I've read the whole shortlist for that year, and my rankings would be as follows:

1. Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence
2. The Heir of Night - Helen Lowe (actual winner)
3. Songs of the Earth - Elspeth Cooper
4. Among Thieves - Douglas Hulick
5. The Unremembered - Peter Orullian

I sort of started a similar exercise with the 2013 shortlist, but other things got in the way, and so far I've only read two of the five (Malice and Throne of the Crescent Moon). It's a lot easier to do the Morningstar than it is the Legend, since the Morningstar is almost always going to be book 1 in the series.

I am now reading Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie.

BeardKing

« Reply #6087 on: June 05, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »
Finished the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I really loved (ha!) the core message. Great characters, excellent story.

Starting Mistborn today.

Offline SpudR

« Reply #6088 on: June 05, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »
Just finished Redshirts by John Scalzi, not fantasy I know but I'm trying to branch out. It was an amazing satire of science fiction TV shows as well as an amazing story in its own right. Just about to start The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett, I have high hopes!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: June 05, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »
Finished the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I really loved (ha!) the core message. Great characters, excellent story.

Starting Mistborn today.

Happy you continued on with the story.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate