March 30, 2017, 01:40:22 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 998740 times)

Online Alex Hormann

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #9810 on: December 31, 2016, 12:33:07 AM »
I've finished Tom Lloyd's Twilight Reign and boy did it go downhill quickly. Last few books I skimmed through. It's a shame, because Stranger of Tempest was so good.

I've probably finished my reading for 2016 now. Not enough time to finish another book, and I want to start the year with a clean slate.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: December 31, 2016, 01:14:36 AM »
A bit past halfway through The Traitor Baru Cormorant, and enjoying it, with mixed feelings, and really dreading that I might be foreseeing the end twist.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #9812 on: January 01, 2017, 03:07:47 AM »
Finished The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks. This was one of my most anticipated books of the year. It was...solid. There were some great revelations in this one, but aside from those, the book lacked the excitement I've come to expect from Weeks. It felt like it was mostly setup for the last book (which I expect to be really good despite my reservations about this one).

Overall, I still liked it, but I didn't love it, and this is the first time I've had to say that about a Weeks book.

Offline Nighteyes

• Je suis IKEA McIKEAface
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: January 01, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
Just finished Half a War by Joe Abercrombie. Despite being a YA novel, I actually thought it was his darkest book yet!  Some real shocks regarding certain beloved characters, and a very bitter sweet ending to the trilogy. 

I was stuck on a plane, and the kids behind me had been left unattended and out of control, so decided to distract myself with short stories, and my pleasant surprise to end 2016, The Paper Menagerie and other stories by Ken Liu.  Meant to read a story or two, but got pleasantly lost in the book and read 5 or 6.  Very thoughtful and high concept sci fi tales with a Chinese flavour to some.  Highly recommended. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #9814 on: January 01, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »
Finished The Black Shriving by Phil Tucker. I liked it even better than The Path of Flames (one of the Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off Finalists).

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #9815 on: January 02, 2017, 12:46:12 AM »
Kicking off the new year with some classic sci-fi. The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: January 02, 2017, 02:06:57 AM »
Kicking off the new year with some classic sci-fi. The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.

Wow. When did I read that? Had to be high school. I'd have gotten it form the SF Book Club. 1975-1978, somewhere in there.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: January 03, 2017, 06:25:47 AM »
Time to get back to reading.

After much deliberation (and threatening encouragements) the book that will have the honor of opening my year will be...

City of Stairs, by Robert Jackson Bennett.

Let's see what's the hype all about.
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #9818 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »
I'll start with rereading Interworld by Gaiman/Reaves because I don't remember enough to read the two follow up books of the trilogy.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Mehman

« Reply #9819 on: January 03, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
I think I'm finally out of my reading slump. Anyway, I'm starting out the year with a Medieval Romance. I was waiting for a switch to happen as I had gotten my fill of Fantasy Romance for the time being. Not really that big of a jump, though. Take out magic and you've basically got a Medieval Romance on your hands.

Anyway, I'll be reading Lord of Fire, Lady of Ice by Michelle Pillow. Her last name is too cool! The story revolves around Viking-controlled Anglo-Saxon England. Should be fun!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9820 on: January 03, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »
I've just finished Witches abroad (Terry Pratchett), and it was great!
So, so, funny ;D

Sorry @Lady_Ty, but I kept imagining you as Nanny Ogg :-[

I'll now start Peter Grant's 3, that I got from the library last year, hehe
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:25:14 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: January 03, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »
No apologies needed @ScarletBea, that is a fine compliment ;D
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Peat

« Reply #9822 on: January 03, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »
All the wise old ladies I know want to be Nanny Ogg saves them as don't know who Nanny is, but then those ones aren't wise  8)

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #9823 on: January 05, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
Got my hands on Cold Forged Flame by Marie Brennan. Only a novella, but looks like tonight's reading is sorted.  :)

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: January 06, 2017, 03:19:06 AM »
Just read and finished the Mirrors truth for 5 hours straight. What a fantastic sequel it has none of the usual middle book slump for a trilogy and I have no clue what's going to happen next. The ending was terrific and as a bonus FF gets mentioned in the acknowledgements. I blame @Arry for that as she pushed the equally wonderful Beyond Redemption hard on the forum.

If you haven't read Beyond Redemption you need to do so. If you have The Mirrors Truth is just as good and is deserving of your investment and time.