July 10, 2020, 01:33:20 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2024276 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8190 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:28 AM »
Just finished Lee Child's Make Me... not fantasy, but just to prove I do read books!

What did you think? Recent Reviewers on Amazon are lretty harsh.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8191 on: April 07, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
Decided I wouldn't continue with the Acts of Caine. Based on the reviews I've read, I wouldn't care about the plot. I don't care about the ogre guy he's trying to help.
So I tried The Earthborn Trilogy. Did not finish.
While it raised some interesting questions, I was 100 pages in and the plot was headed in a pretty straightforward direction. We must leave Earth. To accomplish this, we must do this, which will make us go on an adventure overcoming various obstacles until we reach our goal.
But wait, isn't that every book? Not really. Normally I think the story is heading one way, and then the author flips it on me. This definitely happens before I'm 100 pages through. And if not, at least the action is engaging enough for me to carry on. there wasn't any slight twist that diverted the plot from it's normal course. It felt more like a si-fi movie I might go see just because, rather than a book I want to read.
Next I'll try Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. I've heard a lot about this from you guys. I'm curious to see what happens.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8192 on: April 07, 2016, 08:14:36 AM »
Just finished Lee Child's Make Me... not fantasy, but just to prove I do read books!
You mean apart from what you review for F-F, right? Or are you telling us you don't actually read the books you review? ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8193 on: April 07, 2016, 02:13:47 PM »
You mean apart from what you review for F-F, right? Or are you telling us you don't actually read the books you review? ;)

No, I read those :) I just get less chance to read than I used to!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1602591362?book_show_action=false - reviewed it on Goodreads and had a few chats on Facebook about it with Steve McHugh.

I like Jack Reacher books for the pure entertainment they are. Simply and cleverly written with pacey sentences/chapters. Is it as good as the first and/or early ones... probably not, but only in the way that after 17 books you know exactly what to expect.... which is also part of the charm.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:58:50 PM by G_R_Matthews »
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8194 on: April 07, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »

What did you think? Recent Reviewers on Amazon are pretty harsh.

Reviews are reviews... everything is subjective. There is nothing new in the book... but that's why you read them.
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: April 07, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »
Finished Dark Star.

A unique gritty tale of a dark world and a cop that's snarky as hell. Pretty awesome setting and it reads quick from start to end (also known as "pageturner").
The pacing towards the end went a bit too fast but otherwise it was a pretty good read.  :)

My next book is The Heroic Legend of Arslan

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: April 07, 2016, 10:48:13 PM »
I have been reading this very long but interesting book about Waterloo but have broken it up with some other reads, two KJ Parker novellas, the Dracula Cha Cha Cha and reading the Tarantino does Redwall novella you have all been raving about.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: April 07, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »
Nearing the end of Snakewood. I read Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang at A level, and the influence really shows.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #8198 on: April 08, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »
Reading Wolf's Brother now, after finishing The Reindeer People. Really enjoying it, and fascinated by Hobb's approach - she really is the master of the slow burn followed by the sudden, what-the-chuff-is-happening-oh-god-no punch to the gut.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8199 on: April 09, 2016, 04:26:06 AM »
Just finished Retribution Falls. 4/5
Definitely a good read. I have to say, I was more interested in the subplots than anything else. That's why I'm continuing with the series. I think the airships and magic system are pretty cool though, and there were some nice little surprises along the way. I'm curious to see what comes next, especially for Jez and Crake.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: April 09, 2016, 06:57:09 AM »
Finished yesterday A Natural History of Dragons, and moved on to the next book in the series, well under way already, The Tropic of Serpents.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #8201 on: April 09, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
A double finish for me today:

The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle - Well-regarded first encounter space opera. I found it uneven, with a slow start and some lulls, but overall my feelings are mostly positive. It was an interesting story and seemed pretty well thought through.

Wastelands - John Joseph Adams (ed) - Over on my parallel short story track, I accidentally timed the end of this enjoyable post-apocalyptic anthology perfectly. Mote... was my 1974 book in my chronological SF challenge. My 1975 book is going to be Ursula Le Guin's collection The Wind's Twelve Quarters, which I can now start tomorrow.

I'm intending to start Promise of Blood by Brian McLellan as my next main book, unless I have a sudden change of heart before this evening.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: April 09, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »
Received my ARC of Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay, first time reading him and looking forward to it. :)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8203 on: April 09, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
I'm intending to start Promise of Blood by Brian McLellan as my next main book, unless I have a sudden change of heart before this evening.
I think you'll love it!

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: April 10, 2016, 12:08:04 AM »
I read The Builders. Have to say I found it rather tame compared to this movie my Mum sat me and my siblings in front of as small children.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBck3xcUJc[/youtube]
The Real Powers That Be