May 27, 2020, 03:10:25 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1986216 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #8175 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:58 PM »
read San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats by Mira Grant. Or more correctly finished off this story as I started it last year. My least favorite of her rising books. I did wonder what @m3mnoch would be up to while Comic Con was suffering the zombie apocolypse. Building an A-team style gyrocopter to whisk the family away perhaps.

it's like you were there!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: April 04, 2016, 07:34:03 PM »
For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories #5) by Simon R. Green

Bit disappointed with it so far
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #8177 on: April 04, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »
About a 100 pages left of The House of Shattered Wings, enjoying it, like the world and the mystery. Going to be lazy and copy/paste my two cents (oh god I'm using American phrases...) so far from Goodreads.

...the dragon bits felt like reading through treacle though, and my initial pleasure at having 4, yes 4, gay characters waned when one died, another is evil and a third gets wounded. I'm sure it won't reach a 'bury your gays' level but still. :)

Really enjoyed this one :)

I read Eleanor over the weekend, was different in a good way. For any fans of magical realism, might be worth checking out. Think I am going to start The Summer Dragon by Todd Lockwood tonight. And audiobook is Fellside :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:54:36 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #8178 on: April 05, 2016, 05:33:14 AM »

How have you liked the rest of the series? I've enjoyed what I've read of his Nightside books and enjoyed the first Deathstalker book. Is this one worth a shot?

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: April 05, 2016, 06:23:20 AM »

How have you liked the rest of the series? I've enjoyed what I've read of his Nightside books and enjoyed the first Deathstalker book. Is this one worth a shot?

I've enjoyed the previous series there not as good as harry dresden,iron druid but there are fun , I think his nightside stories are a bit stronger. You should give them ago if you like UF
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:25:18 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S.B Nova

« Reply #8180 on: April 06, 2016, 01:20:44 AM »
Reading the Queen's Poisoner. Not too impressed. Going to be doing a review on it soon, so hoping it gets better!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: April 06, 2016, 02:41:09 AM »
Just started A Natural History of Dragons and linking it a lot so far. It somehow makes me feel like it's written by @Lady_Ty... ;D

@Nora, sorry to come in so late, RL taking up huge amount of time and attention and can only catch up now and then. Those books have always fascinated me, please can you tell me if it's dense prose or easy reading from a practical pov? Better still, are there dragon illustrations? Like the sound of the other Lady T  ;D

@Rostum, Glad you enjoyed The Builders, sorry I overhyped, you must all take me with a grain of salt when I go overboard.  Very guilty of both rants and raves, if I laugh often always go on about a book. Those animals made me think of all the Fistful of Dollar films and the crummy Johnny Depp cartoon one set in Mexico. I just loved the way each animal was portrayed in it's own villainous way, but do realise have a twisted sense of humour. ;D

Re-listened lately to Prince of Fools and The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence ready for next in series. Enjoyed them even more second time around and narrator, Tim Gerard Reynolds has Jalan and Snorri off perfectly and all other characters well portrayed. Same narrator of all my audible Riyria and one of the best.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Trying to puzzle out clues about the original builders of this world and fascinated by some of possibilities. The discussion about trains is very funny but perfectly logical.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: April 06, 2016, 02:54:49 AM »
Yep @Lady_Ty, it's easy prose, easy to read, with a great voice, and it has illustrations all along which are gorgeous :

It's a book about the heroine though, not dragons. It's her memoirs, and she's the one who established the whole field of dragons in natural history, so there are lots of dragons, but it's mostly tales of her trips, of people opposing her, of betrayals and the like, all the while chasing dragons to observe them.
It's a secondary world with a victorian like setting in feeling, but not overmuch. It's easy to picture it, but not forced. It just feels a lot like Jane Austen could have written it.

;)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: April 06, 2016, 02:58:51 AM »
Thanks so much, Nora, will be looking for it, sounds just right. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: April 06, 2016, 03:15:58 AM »

You'll love all the covers as well :

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Rostum

« Reply #8185 on: April 06, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »
Couple of chapters in on the desert spear by Peter Brett. This was buried in the TBR and I only found it when searching for Lies of Locke Lamora which has gone missing.

@Rostum, Glad you enjoyed The Builders, sorry I overhyped, you must all take me with a grain of salt when I go overboard.  Very guilty of both rants and raves, if I laugh often always go on about a book. Those animals made me think of all the Fistful of Dollar films and the crummy Johnny Depp cartoon one set in Mexico. I just loved the way each animal was portrayed in it's own villainous way, but do realise have a twisted sense of humour. ;D

Sorry @Lady_Ty was not implying you overhyped it at all. Everyone, everywhere has said good things about it, I was expecting more from it than it delivered as a result. It was by no means a bad read and I would have read it eventually as I have read the rest of his work. It was a book written to end on a gag and I saw that one coming. The portrayal of the evil beasties was fun and well handled but I think he wrote it a long time ago and shook the dust off after his current success.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:20:08 PM by Rostum »

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #8186 on: April 06, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »
I am now currently reading Valour by John Gwynne.  Book 2 in The Faithful and The Fallen and my continuation of my reread.  Epic fantasy really is the best!
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #8187 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:35 PM »
Just finished Lee Child's Make Me... not fantasy, but just to prove I do read books!
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8188 on: April 07, 2016, 12:01:08 AM »
Just finished Blade of Tyshalle by Mathew Stover. 3.5/5
I think the author got lost in his writing. For one, there were too many cheap attempts to build suspense by switching perspectives, only to show what was happening through another's eyes. It got annoying. Second, he started having chapters of preaching, and chapters where his voice leaked through showing how much he was struggling to get the story out. Lastly, the enemy became too abstract. In the end, they're fighting a force that can never be beaten. Sure, it had human vessels of it's power, but I held no hatred toward them. They were just tools of a greater force. I can't get behind a conflict that isn't personal. It's a character flaw of mine I guess. So when the ending of the book rolled around, I just didn't care. Through all of the awesome destruction, I just didn't care.
I'm debating whether or not to continue the series. Stover planted the seeds that dragons could come to Earth and start burning things up, and that could be fun. I'm planning on looking at reviews for book 3 and talking to friends, and of course listening to advice from you guys if you have any to offer.
If I don't end up reading book 3, I'm going to start on The Earthborn Trilogy. The author looks like my kind of guy, which I hope means he writes the stories I like. Plus, the concept seems interesting enough.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: April 07, 2016, 12:08:14 AM »

You'll love all the covers as well :

;D Couldn't resist, especially if Jane Austen style, so this one on the way ;D