June 23, 2017, 02:52:30 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1107923 times)

Offline SugoiMe

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #7185 on: December 14, 2015, 12:19:07 AM »
I'd like to find a Christian fantasy that's a little more subtle in its worldview.
I wouldn't say it's 'Christian fantasy', but I think you can read certain parts like that, in William Horwood's 2 trilogies, Duncton Chronicles and The book of silence.
Moles replace humans in this story, and it's a truly epic tale of good and evil, war and peace, travelling and arriving, generations long.
He was writing evil torture before grimdark was a spark in the creators' brain, hehe, but the redemption is epic.
I'd like to find a Christian fantasy that's a little more subtle in its worldview.
I wouldn't say it's 'Christian fantasy', but I think you can read certain parts like that, in William Horwood's 2 trilogies, Duncton Chronicles and The book of silence.
Moles replace humans in this story, and it's a truly epic tale of good and evil, war and peace, travelling and arriving, generations long.
He was writing evil torture before grimdark was a spark in the creators' brain, hehe, but the redemption is epic.

The Duncton Series has some very heavy handed Christian allegories. Not sure whether Horwood was a practising Christian not, but can imagine he had a rather Anglican upbringing.

Stephen Lawhead is a very good Christian writer who likes exploring Celtic mythology.

Cool! I'll check those out. Thanks guys!
Just finishes a Christian fantasy called Daughter of Light by Morgan Busse.  Writing was satisfactory, but I was more reading it for its Christian allegory.  Let me tell ya, couldn't be more strongly related to the Bible.  Not quite like the book I'm writing.  I'd like to find a Christian fantasy that's a little more subtle in its worldview.

Anyway, next on the list is Michael J. Sullivan's Theft of Swords, which my sister recommended, a real beast of a book.  Already started and it's great so far.
I didn't even know that was a genre. I know of fantasy books that have Christian symbolism in there for sure, but I've never heard the label.
You'll definitely have fun with Theft of Swords, especially book Two. That's probably my favorite out of the 6. Winter Tide comes close though.

Yeah, my sister loved them. I think she's read all three of the books.
"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." -- Richard Bach

Offline Yora

« Reply #7186 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
I am reading a collection of Robert Howard's Kull, which includes all the material he never ended up selling to magazines. One is titled "Unfinished Draft" and while it started slow it actually got very good and became a wild chase of a fugitive to the end of the world, which was very fun to read even in this early stage. Eventually they pass the last villages of barbarians that live beyond the civilized lands and reach the river where a ferryman takes them over to the land of the dead from which nobody ever returned. And then it just ends.

;D

I assumed it was an early draft that turned out to be surprisingly well written, but that was not what the title meant.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7187 on: December 14, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
I'm now reading The blue mountain, by our own @G_R_Matthews
I've just finished it, and I'm quite mad because it ended in a big cliffhanger, while the previous one was self-contained! Now I have to wait... how long?? I really *really* want to know more, what happens next!!! >:(

I really liked it, and for me it was much better than the first one. Maybe it was because it had less politics and more magic, or because I ended up connecting with all the characters more, but I'm really glad I bought it :D

There were a couple of editing niggles that got to me, though, missing words and that. And I think in some places you didn't have to explain by telling, could just do a showing.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Also when you first introduce Gang and Liu, Liu is called Li, and there's a bit where he's addressed as 'she'. To be honest, I was always thinking Liu might be a woman, and especially after he asked for a separate room, but nothing was revealed, so that could have been a plot point that you decided to give up - yes?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:02:48 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: December 14, 2015, 11:27:35 PM »
Was walking around in a shopping today and saw a book with the title Reading Like a Writer. Title made me buy it, and it's pretty interesting so far.

Full title in english is Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them, by Francine Prose.

Some interesting passages, may not be 100% accurate:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The only time my passion for reading guided me to the wrong direction was when I allowed it to convince me to course post-graduation.

There I realized my love for books wasn't shared by my colleagues or teachers.

It was the time when the literary academy divided itself in incompatible fields of deconstrucionists, marxists, feminists and so on, all fighting for the right to tell the students that they were reading "texts" that ideologies and politics supplanted what the writer had really written.

Instead, they were stimulated to form strong opinions, critics and, with frequency, negatives about geniuses that were read with delight for centuries before they were even born. They were being instructed to accuse or defend those authors, like in a court of law, with allegations related to their origins, racial, cultural and social class backgrounds.
They were stimulated to rewrite classics in more acceptable forms, that those authors could have discovered themselves, if at least they had the same level of perspicacity, tolerance and conscience of their young critics.

And possibly because of the severe judgments they felt obligated to make about fictional characters and their creators, the students found reading stressing!

I even changed my manner of teaching, in an answer to what seemed to be the necessity of my students. No more general discussions about this character or that plot twist. No more attempts to talk about the sensation of reading Borges or Edgar Allan Poe or to describe the experience to navigate through the fantastic fictional worlds they created. 

The bad thing is that The Martian is here as well, but it appears Mr. Damon will have to remain lost for a while longer. I probably could learn a few new things before starting this one.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Captain Blobby

« Reply #7189 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »
Finished Herald of the Storm by Richard Ford a few nights ago. Having relutantly abandoned The Shattered Crown I've now started Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #7190 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
I'm now reading The blue mountain, by our own @G_R_Matthews
I've just finished it, and I'm quite mad because it ended in a big cliffhanger, while the previous one was self-contained! Now I have to wait... how long?? I really *really* want to know more, what happens next!!! >:(

I really liked it, and for me it was much better than the first one. Maybe it was because it had less politics and more magic, or because I ended up connecting with all the characters more, but I'm really glad I bought it :D

There were a couple of editing niggles that got to me, though, missing words and that. And I think in some places you didn't have to explain by telling, could just do a showing.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Also when you first introduce Gang and Liu, Liu is called Li, and there's a bit where he's addressed as 'she'. To be honest, I was always thinking Liu might be a woman, and especially after he asked for a separate room, but nothing was revealed, so that could have been a plot point that you decided to give up - yes?

Hi Bea,

I really glad you enjoyed it! I'll send you a pm :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: December 15, 2015, 06:06:22 PM »
Started Twilight Watch (?????? #3) by Sergei Lukyanenko , I'm quite enjoying this post Soviet series even if it is a bit bizarre in places
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #7192 on: December 15, 2015, 07:28:36 PM »
House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard.

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • View Profile
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #7193 on: December 15, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »
I am currently taking part in a readathon of The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper and i am on ebook number three "Greenwich".
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Rostum

« Reply #7194 on: December 15, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
Started Twilight Watch (?????? #3) by Sergei Lukyanenko , I'm quite enjoying this post Soviet series even if it is a bit bizarre in places

Wait what there is a 3rd  :o

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: December 15, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »
Just beginning A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwab and certainly enjoying it, fast moving, interesting characters, scary magic and FOUR Londons - Bliss ;D

Did you enjoy it? I stopped reading abut halfway through because nothing managed to keep my interest. The plot was too dissolute, the characters too cartoonish. I was quite disappointed given my love of Vicious.

Currently reading the doorstoper that is Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Quite liking it, but the learning curve is so crazily steep that hundreds of pages in I keep figuring stuff out. It's an odd universe, but the more I get into it the more I like it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: December 16, 2015, 01:56:19 AM »
Finished Reading Like a Writer, by Francine Prose.

Very different from the general book about writing. Made me see the classics with completely different eyes. Will need to read them in the near future now.

Shall start The Martian tomorrow!
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7197 on: December 16, 2015, 12:46:26 PM »
I'm now reading Douglas Hulick's Sworn in Steel, which is book 2.
I really enjoyed 1, which I found to be along the lines of Weeks' Night Angel, so give Douglas a try if you liked that too.

I'm also reading a book on European languages, Lingo (really interesting and funny!) and Kirstie and Phil's How to buy a house :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: December 18, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
Just beginning A Darker Shade of Magic by V E Schwab and certainly enjoying it, fast moving, interesting characters, scary magic and FOUR Londons - Bliss ;D

Did you enjoy it? I stopped reading abut halfway through because nothing managed to keep my interest. The plot was too dissolute, the characters too cartoonish. I was quite disappointed given my love of Vicious.

I did enjoy enough to finish it, mainly because of the four Londons concept and Lila.  As I read more thought  the plot was a bit weak, but treated it as a set-up first book and thought it had potential if the next book improves.

Just finished Sorcerer to the Crown and that was better. Sometimes I'm unsure whether books are aimed at YA or not.   Some urban fantasy set in history seems to have characters and events that read as though it is, then horrendous cruelty or violence occurs and I don't think it can be.

Need a change so downloaded audible of The Death of Dulgath by Michael J Sullivan and can't wait to join Royce and Hadrian again. Hopefully I'll get time to listen as I have two days of Christmas cooking ahead and this should help get me going at top speed.  ;D
"You have to have an open mind, but not so open that your brain leaks out."    Australian Chief Scientist Alan Finkel replying to persistent science denying Senator.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular What is 2 5 1's 10th? (9)
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #7199 on: December 18, 2015, 06:50:11 PM »
Jumping into The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. Translation's a bit dry, but it's an interesting read.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky