July 06, 2020, 02:07:25 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2022576 times)

Offline ClintACK

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6105 on: June 10, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »
So envious of people who get to read Hitchhiker's Guide for the first time ever.  And even more so of people who get to read the Wheel of Time for the first time without ever having to wait for a book to come out.

Enjoy!!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6106 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:36 AM »
I'm now reading a classic that had been missing in my list: H. G. Wells' The time machine.
Everything is new, as I hadn't even watched the film (is it any good?).
Very 'traditional' :)
Depends on which film you're talking about, Bea. I have fond memories of Rod Taylor's 1960 classic, but that could be because I was quite young when I saw it. The more recent Guy Pearce version I remember with less affection. Interestingly enough both actors are Australian.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6107 on: June 11, 2015, 01:25:13 AM »
Been in a reading slump lately. Can't find anything to catch my attention, so I decided to go for a reread with Prince of Thorns. Keeping my interest so far, but I'm afraid I'll have to reread the entire series after I'm done with this one.  ;)
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6108 on: June 11, 2015, 03:34:34 AM »
Been in a reading slump lately. Can't find anything to catch my attention, so I decided to go for a reread with Prince of Thorns. Keeping my interest so far, but I'm afraid I'll have to reread the entire series after I'm done with this one.  ;)
What's your all time favorite book, Chill?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6109 on: June 11, 2015, 03:39:59 AM »
I think that question is akin to asking a parent of multiple children to say who's their favourite child >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6110 on: June 11, 2015, 03:59:37 AM »
I think that question is akin to asking a parent of multiple children to say who's their favourite child >:(
Yes, but parents always do have one, even if they won't say  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6111 on: June 11, 2015, 04:26:47 AM »
Yes, but parents always do have one, even if they won't say  ;D

Gosh yeah. It's tough. If I had to narrow it down to four, they'd probably be:

• Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, for it's deep look at the relationship between a tangible creator v. created.
  • Tomorrow, the Killing by Daniel Polansky, for it's wonderful prose and turn of phrase, and look at war and friendship and the necessary lies that populate both.
  • King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, for it's awesome prose and twist on the usual hero v. villain power struggle trope.
  • A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer, basically a modern retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo, but also it's look at class struggle in all of it.

Love 'em all for very different reasons, as you can see.

Funnily enough the only thing that's been able to interest me this evening is the wiki page on the history of Prussia. Cool stuff.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:24:47 AM by Doctor Chill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Online DrNefario

« Reply #6112 on: June 11, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
I'm now reading a classic that had been missing in my list: H. G. Wells' The time machine.
I read that for the first time last year. It's very short; more of a novella than a novel. It's one of those stories that I had kind of absorbed by osmosis through other references and other media, and wasn't really sure whether I'd read or not. I'd already read two semi-sequels back in the distant past (Morlock Night by KW Jeter and The Space Machine by Christopher Priest, which also manages to link with War of the Worlds), and I went on to read a third, the officially-endorsed The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter, which was good but much more of a modern novel. And very very much longer.

In the same category of things I'm not sure I've read, I also read Frankenstein and Brave New World last year, and might try to fit in War of the Worlds at some point this year. I'm a little more convinced I have read that, but not totally certain.

As to what I'm actually reading, I started The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison/Sarah Monette last night.

I really enjoyed Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie, and am a bit annoyed with myself for putting it off for so long. I was too worried it wouldn't live up to the first book, and I shouldn't have been.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: June 11, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
Saw  Kinslayer, in the library today, part of The Lotus Wars series and liked the look of cover and synopsis, so have asked them to get Stormdancer for me. Kinslayer looked massive,  are they all that big and is it going to stay as a trilogy? If anyone can tell me what they think of this series would appreciate your comments.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #6114 on: June 11, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »
I'm one of those awful people who starts reading something and never finishes.  I currently have Victor Gischler's The Ink Mage, Peter Dudek's Forsaken Kingdom: City of Prophecy, and Jaime Buckley's Prelude to a Hero on the go.  I swear I will finish these, but writing my own books has taken all my thought power atm.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: June 11, 2015, 03:11:56 PM »
Saw  Kinslayer, in the library today, part of The Lotus Wars series and liked the look of cover and synopsis, so have asked them to get Stormdancer for me. Kinslayer looked massive,  are they all that big and is it going to stay as a trilogy? If anyone can tell me what they think of this series would appreciate your comments.

I read Stormdancer and it didn't do it for me,there's a topic on Stormdancer here I can't link you to it as I'm on my phone 

Thought it was slow and I could see what was coming a mile off and she falls in love with a pretty boy before realising she likes the other boy better zzzzzz.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: June 12, 2015, 01:32:09 AM »
Thanks for the warning @Eclipse glad I'm getting it from the library. The Lotus Wars name  attracted me because I,ve been looking for oriental fantasy. Will search out the thread. :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6117 on: June 12, 2015, 01:49:56 AM »
I finished both The Rebirths of Tao and Cinder yesterday. Rebirths of Tao was a nice finish off to the trilogy and tied everything up neatly, but still left it open for a return to the concept. I'm looking forward to Wesley Chu's first non Tao novel Time Salvager later this year. Cinder was an interesting anime influenced retelling of the Cinderella legend, and I've picked up the sequel Scarlet to see what Marissa Meyer does with Little Red Riding Hood.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: June 12, 2015, 02:11:22 AM »
Read The Martian by Andy Weir over the weekend. I enjoyed it, though would say it's far from the perfect SF thriller everyone says it is. The characters are very one-note and for a guy stranded on Mars for years he doesn't show much psychological change. And the humour grated with me so much. But pretty entertaining for all that and I do think it will make a cracking film.

Enjoyed that book and raved about it, never thought I was going to survive the spacetech-talk but actually found it did make sense and I am not science proficient at all. I think my enjoyment was also a reaction of relief after expecting so much of the film Gravity and then hating every ghastly minute.

Just hope The Martian as film is made well, not too much emotion drama, more the clever practicalities. Had a suspicion all along that it had been written with a film in mind and maybe that explains the humour seeming a bit forced, but I read that as an attempt to buoy his own spirits.   Andy Weir is a physicist and had checked out that what Mark did to survive was actually possible, which is impressive.

Worthy of note this started as an indie blog serial then a self-published book e-book, so that is encouraging.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6119 on: June 12, 2015, 02:27:25 AM »
Depends on which film you're talking about, Bea. I have fond memories of Rod Taylor's 1960 classic, but that could be because I was quite young when I saw it. The more recent Guy Pearce version I remember with less affection. Interestingly enough both actors are Australian.
I meant the more recent one - funnily enough, I thought it was Keanu Reeves, but now that you mention Guy, yes, it was him after all.

I finished it last night, and it was interesting. I thought that it was going to be more 'Gulliver's travels', with different chapters in different ages, but in the end it was just the one year he travelled to, except for the very last chapter.
All in all, I think I still prefer Verne, on similar books.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!