October 31, 2020, 01:41:27 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2089912 times)

BeardKing

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #6090 on: June 05, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »
Happy you continued on with the story.

Thanks! Definitely glad you all convinced me to stick with it. :)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6091 on: June 05, 2015, 05:06:56 PM »
Just about to start The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett, I have high hopes!

I tried reading it, but the things that irritated me about books two and three got even worse.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6092 on: June 05, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
I finished The Quick and it was really good! Classic vampire stories, victorian gothic style, different to what I'd been reading.
And you love a stand-alone once in a while, hehe

I've now started Empire of Ivory (Naomi Novik), volume 4 in the series. My library didn't have number 3, but apart from a couple of points that I read about that one on wikipedia, I managed to jump into 4 without much difficulty, they're almost stand-alones in that respect.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #6093 on: June 06, 2015, 12:39:51 AM »
Hi @SpudR and welcome to the Forum. Have a look around and don't mind the crazy joking you may find, we're very friendly. ;D

I enjoyed Redshirts and some of John Scalzi's other books. Have you read his re-write of H Beam Piper's classic Little Fuzzy? His version is called Fuzzy Nation and my audio version had the original included at the end as well. I don't know if the print version has the same inclusion but probably. Both excellent.

Agent to the Stars and The Android's Dream are both very good, Scalzi has a weird and wonderful imagination.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #6094 on: June 07, 2015, 07:21:47 PM »
Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora a few days ago, really enjoyed it, particularly the last hundred pages or so.

I'm now about 30% pages into The Eye of the World, which started just about as slowly as I expected! Pretty good so far though, think I'll enjoy this. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6095 on: June 08, 2015, 01:14:21 AM »
Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora a few days ago, really enjoyed it, particularly the last hundred pages or so.

I'm now about 30% pages into The Eye of the World, which started just about as slowly as I expected! Pretty good so far though, think I'll enjoy this. :)
Yes, Lynch turned the dial up to 11 with Lies in the later part of the book. Eye of the World does start slowly, it's a lot of setting up and world building in the first book.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #6096 on: June 08, 2015, 04:20:42 AM »
Voyage of the Basilisk by Marie Brennan.  Third of the Lady Trent books.  Enjoying it more than Book 2, not as much as Book 1
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6097 on: June 09, 2015, 01:59:12 AM »
I finished Raymond Feist's Faerie Tale, such a refreshing read these days. Held up as well as I remembered it, too. Some of the 80's references to things like word processors made me smile. I picked up Parke Godwin's Firelord to replace it. I've always thought that to be one of the best takes on the Arthur legend.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6098 on: June 10, 2015, 05:04:57 AM »
Finished Sword in the Storm by David Gemmell. This is the second book of his I've read, the other being Legend. I was pleasantly surprised that this story felt quite different from Legend. It was also a good story with a well-crafted antihero as the main character. Well, it's difficult to pin down a character type for the MC in this one. At times, he's heroic, and then he'll lose control of himself and do something terrible. But then he'll feel intense remorse for his actions. For me, this created a great character, the rare antihero that is actually sympathetic for me as a reader.

While the book doesn't break any new ground in the fantasy genre, Gemmell was very good at doing his thing with fantasy.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6099 on: June 10, 2015, 06:28:18 AM »
I finished Justine Larbelestier's Razorhurst. That was a really good read. I think it was mostly aimed at a YA audience, but there was enough in there to attract older readers as well. It's largely a fictionalised version of the conflict between two factions of Sydney's underworld in the early 1930's as told through the eyes of street kid Kelpie and the high class prostitute Dymphna, the supernatural twist is that both key characters can see ghosts around them all the time.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #6100 on: June 10, 2015, 03:57:21 PM »
Finished Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man. It makes for a bittersweet read now that TP's gone, as it shows a very unique and accepting perspective towards a peaceful death, and constantly made me think of his fight for legal euthanasia. It's also hilarious at various times, obviously  ;)

I've finally started reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I've never read.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #6101 on: June 10, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »
Read The Martian by Andy Weir over the weekend. I enjoyed it, though would say it's far from the perfect SF thriller everyone says it is. The characters are very one-note and for a guy stranded on Mars for years he doesn't show much psychological change. And the humour grated with me so much. But pretty entertaining for all that and I do think it will make a cracking film.

Few books on the go right now. Last Call for the book club, which I'm liking, though I think I'm the only one enjoying it quite so much.  :)  Midway through The Magician King, which is good so far. And just started Leviathan Wakes which I think I will really enjoy.

Also got a stack of non-fiction to read for research.
Make Another World.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #6102 on: June 10, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
Read The Martian by Andy Weir over the weekend. I enjoyed it, though would say it's far from the perfect SF thriller everyone says it is. The characters are very one-note and for a guy stranded on Mars for years he doesn't show much psychological change. And the humour grated with me so much. But pretty entertaining for all that and I do think it will make a cracking film.
Yeah it's one of those that I gave 5 stars because I enjoyed it so much, but
Yeah, I gave it 5 stars, but that's because I enjoyed it so much in spite of the relatively bland characters and lack of development. Kind of like Ready Player One in that respect, though that was marginally better in that respect  iirc. Really looking forward to the film!

I'm almost at the end of The Eye Of the World, still pretty much exactly what I expected. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6103 on: June 10, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »
I'm now reading a classic that had been missing in my list: H. G. Wells' The time machine.
Everything is new, as I hadn't even watched the film (is it any good?).
Very 'traditional' :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline auntflavia

« Reply #6104 on: June 10, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
New Texan here - blind as a bat, but love fantasy.  I read audiobooks and am always on the lookout for cheap ones on CD. 

I'm reading:  1.  The Hidden City - David Eddings
                     2.  Fall of Giants - Ken Follett
                     3.  Retribution - Sherrilyn Kenyon
                     4.  Kiss of Death - Rachel Caine

auntflavia