August 25, 2019, 05:41:31 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1717285 times)

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5760 on: April 01, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Please include a goat, even if it's not iron, we need a true-origin-secret to pass to our heirs ;)

Yessssss, it will be a special secret goat reference just for Fantasy Faction ;)
I really like the idea that we get our own secret goat in a book.

Do we get to name it? Because I wouldn't trust us. It'll probably end up with the name Mathias.

Well that might depend on how weird the name ends up being...
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: April 01, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »
Just read Perfect State by Brandon Sanderson (novella released yesterday). Pretty good overall - interesting concept and a well written story with a customary Sanderson twist at the end. It's a sci-fi/fantasy mashup so fairly different setting to what Sanderson usually writes, plus it has a huge robot for the cool factor. Not quite on the same level as The Emperor's Soul for me, but not far off.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Conan

« Reply #5762 on: April 02, 2015, 02:14:29 PM »
Just started--Sector 64:Ambush

Cool cover.
Tied up and twisted; gnarled and knotted with wrinkles; haggardly firm and unyielding; his eyes glowing like coals, that still glow in the ashes of ruin; untottering Ahab stood forth in the clearness of the morn; lifting his splintered helmet of a brow to the fair girl's forehead of heaven.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: April 02, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »
Currently roughly halfway through the first book of The Legend of Eli Monpress (The Spirit Thief). So far it's been fairly solid but not brilliant, would probably give it three stars at this point. There's been some fairly conspicuous infodumping here and there and the characters are only just starting to grow on me, but it definitely has potential to improve in the second half. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5764 on: April 03, 2015, 12:15:43 AM »
Currently roughly halfway through the first book of The Legend of Eli Monpress (The Spirit Thief). So far it's been fairly solid but not brilliant, would probably give it three stars at this point. There's been some fairly conspicuous infodumping here and there and the characters are only just starting to grow on me, but it definitely has potential to improve in the second half. :)
Keep going. I found the story really hitting it's stride in book 3 (I think). Thankfully, relatively short books by today's door stopper standard.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: April 03, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »
Keep going. I found the story really hitting it's stride in book 3 (I think). Thankfully, relatively short books by today's door stopper standard.
Yeah I've almost finished the first book now, improving as it goes along. :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5766 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:41 AM »
It had me from Book 1, I just found the concept of spirit magic so intriguing and Eli was a very loveable rogue by todays standards. I felt that Book 2 really upped the game and then that continued through the rest of the series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5767 on: April 03, 2015, 01:52:01 AM »

I liked the first book, but it had a lot of rough edges. As the series went on, Aaron really stepped up, and by the end, it became one of my favorite series. It's just so much fun. I've also enjoyed her science fiction as Rachel Bach. Now I need to get to Nice Dragons Finish Last.

Offline RussetDivinity

« Reply #5768 on: April 03, 2015, 02:46:52 AM »
Sadly, I don't have much time to read fantasy lately; I have to read a bunch of books about the American Revolution. (Don't get me wrong. They're great books. They're just not fantasy.) If it counts, though, I've been reading a bunch of alternate history online. Some of it can get pretty dense, especially since I know next to nothing about our own Byzantine Empire, let alone one that's had its history changed, but when I can catch on to the details, it's really interesting.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #5769 on: April 03, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
Sadly, I don't have much time to read fantasy lately; I have to read a bunch of books about the American Revolution. (Don't get me wrong. They're great books. They're just not fantasy.) If it counts, though, I've been reading a bunch of alternate history online. Some of it can get pretty dense, especially since I know next to nothing about our own Byzantine Empire, let alone one that's had its history changed, but when I can catch on to the details, it's really interesting.

If you are curious about Byzantine history the 12 Byzantine Emperors podcast is pretty good.  There is also another one called The History of Byzantine that is modeled after The History of Rome that's decent (I haven't gotten through much of it yet though).

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: April 03, 2015, 07:22:48 PM »
Now reading She Who Waits (Low Town #3) by Daniel Polansky
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5771 on: April 03, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »
Now reading She Who Waits (Low Town #3) by Daniel Polansky

I think you're going to like this. Not as great as the 2nd, but that ending was remarkable. Made the book.

Back on track: Depth sucks. A lot. Saddens me that the writer's a professor for Creative Writing. Wouldn't want to get in one of his workshops or lectures.

Anyway, found out I still have access to my library's online library. Started reading The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Kinda excited so far, not only for this book but that my reading options have opened up a good bit as well.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5772 on: April 04, 2015, 06:59:10 PM »
^slow day I guess.  ;D

Finished The Last Wish. Brilliant collection of tales. Highly recommended and easy to see why it's hailed as the benchmark for modern day Sword and Sorcery.

Continiuing in that vein, I'm reading the first Witcher novel, Blood of Elves.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5773 on: April 04, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »
^slow day I guess.  ;D

Finished The Last Wish. Brilliant collection of tales. Highly recommended and easy to see why it's hailed as the benchmark for modern day Sword and Sorcery.

Continiuing in that vein, I'm reading the first Witcher novel, Blood of Elves.

Witcher read-along.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #5774 on: April 05, 2015, 01:31:28 AM »
I just finished Codex Born by Jim Hines, and elfy is reading the third one so I've started The City's Son by Tom Pollock.  Only read the first 50 or so pages, but I'm finding it enjoyable so far.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters