September 16, 2019, 07:39:28 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1736681 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5685 on: March 26, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
I finished Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine. It was a clever idea (the story of Romeo and Juliet from the point of view of Benvolio), but unfortunately the author didn't have the talent to pull it off successfully. At best it was a pale imitation of the bard and at worst fanfic that read like it came from the keyboard of a starstruck teenager. It may also suffer from the fact that I recently read Tooth and Claw and that was a near perfect aping of someone else's style (Jane Austen). Not sure what will replace it, yet. The Copper Promise if I can find a copy somewhere local, otherwise something from Mt Toberead.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5686 on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:51 PM »
Just finished Soda Pop Soldier, thanks to @Elfy for mentioning it. Definitely in the same vein as Ready Player One, and probably a little more accessible to most people since it includes far fewer cultural references. SPS was really fun, though I didn't think it was quite as good as RPO. I noticed a few issues with editing here and there as well - for example some repetition of near-identical sentences within a single paragraph happened a few times.
The joke about Aliens was good. I had a brief conversation on Twitter with the author after I posted a positive tweet about the book. There's another one about that world coming out at some stage, it will be a prequel, although he also has sequels in mind if the demand is there.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:25 PM »
Just finished Soda Pop Soldier, thanks to @Elfy for mentioning it. Definitely in the same vein as Ready Player One, and probably a little more accessible to most people since it includes far fewer cultural references. SPS was really fun, though I didn't think it was quite as good as RPO. I noticed a few issues with editing here and there as well - for example some repetition of near-identical sentences within a single paragraph happened a few times.
The joke about Aliens was good. I had a brief conversation on Twitter with the author after I posted a positive tweet about the book. There's another one about that world coming out at some stage, it will be a prequel, although he also has sequels in mind if the demand is there.
Yeah I liked that bit aswell. Sounds good to me, would definitely be interested in both prequels and sequels! :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5688 on: March 26, 2015, 11:03:12 PM »
Yeah I liked that bit aswell. Sounds good to me, would definitely be interested in both prequels and sequels! :)
His initial idea was for a sequel, but the publishers wanted a prequel to follow Soda Pop Soldier, so that's how he had to go.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: March 26, 2015, 11:56:09 PM »
His initial idea was for a sequel, but the publishers wanted a prequel to follow Soda Pop Soldier, so that's how he had to go.
Interesting, wonder why they preferred a prequel  ???
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5690 on: March 27, 2015, 05:42:43 AM »
Interesting, wonder why they preferred a prequel  ???
He didn't elaborate, but it may have been that they had indications people wanted to see how the world got the way it was in Soda Pop Soldier. I managed to get a copy of The Copper Promise by our own Jen Williams (sennydreadful) and have just started it. I have to give a shoutout to one reviewer from a site called sleeplessmusingsofawellgroomedmoutstachedman. It's a mouthful, but an awesome blog name.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: March 27, 2015, 12:06:59 PM »
He didn't elaborate, but it may have been that they had indications people wanted to see how the world got the way it was in Soda Pop Soldier.
Fair enough, will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Just finished Murder at the Kinnen Hotel - another Powder Mage novella, this time focusing on Adamat. Not quite as good as the other two novellas so far, but still pretty decent. I quite like alternating between novels and shorter stories actually, the shorter stories clear my mind so I'm ready for something more involved :)

Now I have to decide what to read next... possibilities: The Thousand Names, Three Parts Dead, Retribution Falls, The Spirit Thief, The Name of the Wind, or The Shadow of What Was Lost. Decisions, decisions...

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5692 on: March 27, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
Finished Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson. It's not his best, but it was an entertaining short story. Like with Legion, I wish it had been longer. I didn't get a chance to connect with the characters as much as I would have liked.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: March 27, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »
Decided to go with The Shadow of What Was Lost, currently 25% in and really enjoying it.  :)

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5694 on: March 27, 2015, 10:44:08 PM »
He didn't elaborate, but it may have been that they had indications people wanted to see how the world got the way it was in Soda Pop Soldier.

Just finished Murder at the Kinnen Hotel - another Powder Mage novella, this time focusing on Adamat. Not quite as good as the other two novellas so far, but still pretty decent. I quite like alternating between novels and shorter stories actually, the shorter stories clear my mind so I'm ready for something more involved :)

Now I have to decide what to read next... possibilities: The Thousand Names, Three Parts Dead, Retribution Falls, The Spirit Thief, The Name of the Wind, or The Shadow of What Was Lost. Decisions, decisions...
You've got some good ones there, @Raptori (I'm envious). If it were me I'd be torn between Retribution Falls and The Spirit Thief. Either way they're both great reads. The problem is whichever of those you read you'll be hooked and want to read the sequels, which in the case of The Spirit Thief there are 4 of, and Retribution Falls, three. The happy thing about both books is that the series they kick off have been completed, so none of those interminable waits for the next book in the series.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5695 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »

You've got some good ones there, @Raptori (I'm envious). If it were me I'd be torn between Retribution Falls and The Spirit Thief. Either way they're both great reads. The problem is whichever of those you read you'll be hooked and want to read the sequels, which in the case of The Spirit Thief there are 4 of, and Retribution Falls, three. The happy thing about both books is that the series they kick off have been completed, so none of those interminable waits for the next book in the series.
Definitely Spirit Thief. Love the series. Especially love the representation of demons, though that doesn't really pick up until later books.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »

Yeah my to-read list is getting a bit ridiculous, there's over 100 on it right now, and about half of them have GR ratings over 4 or have been specifically recommended by someone... Funnily enough those were the two that I was leaning towards, will probably read one of them next. The one I'm reading now is really good so far though, so I'm happy with the decision at this point  :P

Definitely Spirit Thief. Love the series. Especially love the representation of demons, though that doesn't really pick up until later books.
That'll be after Shadow then!  ;)

I was reading a couple of writing blogs a short while ago, and as usual took a quick look at the writer's backlist. Didn't recognise a single title, but the cover and name of one stuck with me for some reason: The Legend of Eli Monpress. Then literally a day or two later someone on here mentioned it as a really good book. Weird coincidence.  :o

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5697 on: March 27, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »
Rachel Aaron also has an interesting book on writing. From 2,000 to 10,000.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5698 on: March 27, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »
It was possibly @Jamcyk or me who mentioned it. We have a small admiration group for the works of Rachel Aaron happening. Out of interest do you have The Spirit Thief or The Legend of Eli Monpress omnibus that contains the first two books? The reason I ask is because they were combined a few years ago now and it gives me an idea of just how old that TBR pile is, of course so does Retribution Falls, because I think that initially came out about 5 or 6 years ago now.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: March 27, 2015, 11:18:14 PM »
Rachel Aaron also has an interesting book on writing. From 2,000 to 10,000.
Yeah I think the post I read was a summary/extract of that. They were pretty interesting points iirc.

It was possibly @Jamcyk or me who mentioned it. We have a small admiration group for the works of Rachel Aaron happening. Out of interest do you have The Spirit Thief or The Legend of Eli Monpress omnibus that contains the first two books? The reason I ask is because they were combined a few years ago now and it gives me an idea of just how old that TBR pile is, of course so does Retribution Falls, because I think that initially came out about 5 or 6 years ago now.
Yeah that seems likely.  :P It's an ebook - this one - think it's meant to be three books? Not entirely sure though. We don't have a huge amount of shelf space, so we buy ebook first then if it's really good we buy a physical copy second-hand.  :)

Speaking of which, we have the opportunity to buy books 4-14 of the Wheel of Time for 40€... really torn about whether we should make an offer for them  :-\