July 23, 2019, 08:21:56 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1693256 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5640 on: March 17, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
Currently re reading one of my favorite series : Malazan Book of the Fallen. First time I read it, felt that there was so much I was missing! Second time around I realised how much I had missed. Fantastic series, Fantastic Author.

Could not recommend it any more!
@Lachlan Check out our read along to see what we think about it. We have 3-4 threads to every Malazan book. :) -> Malazan read along
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5641 on: March 17, 2015, 11:46:01 PM »
I finished Monster Hunter Nemesis and that was excellent popcorn fiction, although I would have preferred more concentration on the Monster Hunter International group, who were kind of an afterthought and really only there for one epic fight sequence. It appears that Correia is now moving into epic fantasy, which should be interesting. I've moved onto Unbound which is the 3rd book in Jim Hines' Libriomancer series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #5642 on: March 18, 2015, 05:03:45 AM »
I'm about halfway through Assassin's Apprentice, why did I wait so long to read this?

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5643 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »
I'm about halfway through Assassin's Apprentice, why did I wait so long to read this?

I felt the same last year ;D you're at the start of a lovely journey (I've only read 2 trilogies so far, me
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #5644 on: March 18, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »
Bit of a rut recently, reading-wise, for me. I keep picking up books, reading a few chapters and struggling to get the motivation to pick them up again - currently have Words of Radiance/The Crimson Campaign/Fortress Frontier/The Boy with the Porcelain Blade all in a state of limbo.

I did however finally get round to The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and tore through it in a couple of days. Absolutely fantastic book, I'm very excited now to read her new one, Touch.

Also am over halfway through Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. As it's so short I thought it would be a good one to read quickly. And it is very good indeed - and unbelievably creepy. Horror never really gets me particularly scared but this is different - it makes my skin crawl at points. 
Make Another World.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5645 on: March 18, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »
WW2 at night, but I recently picked up Robert Jackson Bennett's Mr Shivers. Little bit of kinks early on, especially with the dialogue, but I'm liking it.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:31 AM »
Finished The Crimson Campaign, now something like 15% into The Autumn Republic. Really enjoying these books, very much in the vein of the best of Sanderson's books with fast pace, easy to read prose, and a vivid setting. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #5647 on: March 19, 2015, 04:34:36 AM »
Oh wow... Finally somewhere I can talk to people about this amazing series! Yay!!! Thank you so much for opening my eyes to this!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: March 20, 2015, 03:38:34 AM »
Finished The Autumn Republic. Loved it. High quality throughout the series, just excellent all round. Definitely one for people who like Sanderson. On to the short stories/novellas!  :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:40:13 AM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: March 20, 2015, 03:54:04 AM »
Just finishing The Dirty Streets of Heaven, first of Bobby Dollar series by Tad Williams.  Mixed feelings - I have enjoyed it, but it feels like Dresden clone with slightly different antagonists, Angels v Demons instead of Wizards/Good Magic v Demons/Dark Magic with usual type sub plots and betrayals.
With Dresden couldn't wait for the next book, with Bobby Dollar I will continue, but not in any rush.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5650 on: March 20, 2015, 04:27:22 AM »
Just finishing The Dirty Streets of Heaven, first of Bobby Dollar series by Tad Williams.  Mixed feelings - I have enjoyed it, but it feels like Dresden clone with slightly different antagonists, Angels v Demons instead of Wizards/Good Magic v Demons/Dark Magic with usual type sub plots and betrayals.
With Dresden couldn't wait for the next book, with Bobby Dollar I will continue, but not in any rush.
People here had mixed feelings about the second one. I quite enjoyed it, but xiagan didn't like it. It is very very different from the first one, though. The third kind of got back to the same feel of the first one and it was a trilogy so not like the Dresden Files with it's 15 and counting volumes.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: March 20, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
People here had mixed feelings about the second one. I quite enjoyed it, but xiagan didn't like it. It is very very different from the first one, though. The third kind of got back to the same feel of the first one and it was a trilogy so not like the Dresden Files with it's 15 and counting volumes.

Thanks Elfy, I can't leave a trilogy unfinished and glad to hear the second is different.  None of my favourites have new books due yet until Ben Aaronovitch sometime near end of year.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5652 on: March 20, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
Finished two books.

The Waste Lands by Stephen King. I almost gave up on the Dark Tower series after being disappointed with the second book. I liked this one a lot better, though. The plot grinds to a halt at times, but when King writes suspense, he writes it so well. His imagination is also quite something.

Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams. I've heard that a lot of people didn't like this one, but I did. That being said, it was an uncomfortable read. However, I think that was the intention. Williams was writing about Hell. It should be an uncomfortable read. I don't mind that it was quite different from the first book. It actually reminded me a bit of The War of the Flowers, which I also enjoyed (though this one was darker).

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: March 20, 2015, 08:13:58 PM »
Read the first two Powder Mage short stories/novellas, Forsworn and Servant of the Crown. Both pretty good, same high standard in general as the novels, but only four stars for each because they're just too damn short for me  :-\

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5654 on: March 20, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »
Finished two books.

The Waste Lands by Stephen King. I almost gave up on the Dark Tower series after being disappointed with the second book. I liked this one a lot better, though. The plot grinds to a halt at times, but when King writes suspense, he writes it so well. His imagination is also quite something.

Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams. I've heard that a lot of people didn't like this one, but I did. That being said, it was an uncomfortable read. However, I think that was the intention. Williams was writing about Hell. It should be an uncomfortable read. I don't mind that it was quite different from the first book. It actually reminded me a bit of The War of the Flowers, which I also enjoyed (though this one was darker).

Despite being the second book in Williams' Bobby Dollar UF trilogy, Happy in Hour was really very different. You're right Ryan in that it wasn't necessarily fun, but it did showcase Williams' incredible imagination, and I can see the comparisons with the fae world he created for The War of the Flowers.

I just finished Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton that was such a different type of book, a Regency romance in the Jane Austen style only about dragons and told by them. Easy to see why it won the World Fantasy Award. I've picked up Rachel Caine's Thief of Shadows which appears to be the story of Romeo and Juliet only told from the point of view of Benvolio Montague.