July 18, 2019, 08:47:16 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1690550 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5625 on: March 14, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
I'm about 25% through Promise of Blood, enjoying it quite a lot.

Lots of action, lots of intrigue, lots of interesting and well-explained magic. The writing quality is excellent, McClellan manages to put in a huge amount of worldbuilding and politics without any of it getting in the way of the unusually fast pace of the opening. The only time I noticed it was when the members of the council were introduced, which was a bit awkward.

No real connection to any of the characters yet, but it's been enjoyable enough that that doesn't matter. It could be because of the large cast, guess I'll find out as things go along!
You could (and should) read his short stories that take place in the same world and are connected to the story. They are entertaining and flesh out some of the characters.

I finished the Kingdom of Gods and the novella The Awakened Kingdom by Nemesin. Very good, both.
Trigger Warning is next I think.
Yeah I noticed those - but should they be read before or after reading the books? I know they're before in terms of chronology, but I just assumed they'd be better read after the books  :-\
Depends. Some are before the books, some after book one, some independent... I read most after book one but it wouldn't have hurt to read some before. The girl of hrush avenue for example is cool to read before.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
I'm about 25% through Promise of Blood, enjoying it quite a lot.

Lots of action, lots of intrigue, lots of interesting and well-explained magic. The writing quality is excellent, McClellan manages to put in a huge amount of worldbuilding and politics without any of it getting in the way of the unusually fast pace of the opening. The only time I noticed it was when the members of the council were introduced, which was a bit awkward.

No real connection to any of the characters yet, but it's been enjoyable enough that that doesn't matter. It could be because of the large cast, guess I'll find out as things go along!
You could (and should) read his short stories that take place in the same world and are connected to the story. They are entertaining and flesh out some of the characters.

I finished the Kingdom of Gods and the novella The Awakened Kingdom by Nemesin. Very good, both.
Trigger Warning is next I think.
Yeah I noticed those - but should they be read before or after reading the books? I know they're before in terms of chronology, but I just assumed they'd be better read after the books  :-\
Depends. Some are before the books, some after book one, some independent... I read most after book one but it wouldn't have hurt to read some before. The girl of hrush avenue for example is cool to read before.
Hmm... well I've got the novels out of the library so I guess I'll just read the short stories after  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #5627 on: March 15, 2015, 04:59:16 AM »
Since Friday I've read The Wee Free Men & A Hat full of Sky, and I'm now onto Wintersmith.  And when I finish that, I'll go onto I Shall Wear Midnight.

Hopefully by then I'll feel a bit better, and will go back to Codex Reborn by Jim Hines.  Otherwise I'll probably read Nightwatch.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5628 on: March 15, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
Since Friday I've read The Wee Free Men & A Hat full of Sky, and I'm now onto Wintersmith.  And when I finish that, I'll go onto I Shall Wear Midnight.

Hopefully by then I'll feel a bit better, and will go back to Codex Reborn by Jim Hines.  Otherwise I'll probably read Nightwatch.
If nightwatch doesn't help, Nation probably will...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: March 16, 2015, 05:55:58 AM »
Currently finishing "Cinder" which is an easy and pleasant modern remix of Cinderella with Sailor Moon, starring a young female character who is a mechanic and a cyborg, working to pay her nasty step mother's bills in New Beijing from the far future.

It's not high end literature but good fun, short, and an absolute fan service for a chick like me who used to watch every single Sailor Moon anime episode on TV  8)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

BeardKing

« Reply #5630 on: March 16, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
Finished Brian McClellen's The Crimson Campaign last night. Starting The Autumn Republic today. Loving this series!

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #5631 on: March 16, 2015, 02:46:13 PM »
Just finished Daniel Abraham's A Shadow In Summer and I absolutely loved it, despite the slow beginning. I think I will go on straight to the following book in the series, A Betrayal in Winter  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline HAnthe

« Reply #5632 on: March 16, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »
Finished Pauline M. Ross's The Fire Mages.  Now jumping back into the Foreigner universe with C.J. Cherryh's Inheritor.  Quite an extensive (and a bit snore-worthy) 'previously' segment on this one, but I'm past it now.

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #5633 on: March 17, 2015, 04:52:18 AM »
Currently re reading one of my favorite series : Malazan Book of the Fallen. First time I read it, felt that there was so much I was missing! Second time around I realised how much I had missed. Fantastic series, Fantastic Author.

Could not recommend it any more!

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: March 17, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »
Just finished Promise of Blood. Really liked the gunpowder fantasy setting and magic. The writing was excellent, and though it took a while to care about the characters the pace was really fast so it held my interest all the way through. I think the only disappointment I felt was that it ended up with gods and shit like that being important - I think the first half of the book where it looked like it'd avoid that kind of stuff was much stronger than the second half.

Can't wait to start the second book :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5635 on: March 17, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
I'm just finishing Carey's (or rather, Careys') City of silk and steel and it did improve from my earlier comments. There's still quite a hint of a roundabout way of telling stories, though, not going straight to the point, and having lots of 'storytelling' that doesn't really appeal to me.
Still a good read :)

I'll then start Lawrence's Prince of fools ;D, I think I'm now ready for his non-Jorg books hehe
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:14:52 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline onceWICKED

« Reply #5636 on: March 17, 2015, 02:58:46 PM »
Started Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora and I'm hooked. I like the writing and all the characters are cool and deep. Though I'm a bit scared of its size (about 140 parts/chapters last I checked). Some long books tend to be boring but not all (I was wishing Words of Radiance was longer before I got done).

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5637 on: March 17, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
Started Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora and I'm hooked. I like the writing and all the characters are cool and deep. Though I'm a bit scared of its size (about 140 parts/chapters last I checked). Some long books tend to be boring but not all (I was wishing Words of Radiance was longer before I got done).
Love that book!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #5638 on: March 17, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
I'm just finishing Carey's (or rather, Careys') City of silk and steel and it did improve from my earlier comments. There's still quite a hint of a roundabout way of telling stories, though, not going straight to the point, and having lots of 'storytelling' that doesn't really appeal to me.

I should have mentioned that it was inspired by the storytelling of the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, with stories told inside stories, although only in parts. Glad you've enjoyed it!  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: March 17, 2015, 05:30:20 PM »

I should have mentioned that it was inspired by the storytelling of the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, with stories told inside stories, although only in parts. Glad you've enjoyed it!  :)

I loved City and Silk and Steel, I'm glad it got better for you Bea

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate