February 25, 2021, 01:48:13 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2144412 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4695 on: July 03, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
I finished Red Rising last night (enjoyed it)
And another chance for me to plug book club.  ::) We're reading this one this month (just posted the first discussion =). You should check it out (and maybe join in) :)

My next book is likely going to be Tower Lord but I'm going to hold off a few days on buying it (I have a work trip next week so I want to save it for the plane).
I really enjoyed it. Curious to see how others react since its multiple POV and has a bit different feel than Blood Song.

I'm about half way through Traitor's Blade. Definitely a fun book! And for my audiobook, I am listening to The Maigican King as a re-read before reading Magician's Land.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Hedin

• Master Namer
« Reply #4696 on: July 03, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
I'm about half way through Traitor's Blade. Definitely a fun book!

I'm looking forward to reading that one as well but it's not out in the US (at least on ebook) until the 15th (which is the same day Half a King is released here as well). 

And I was intending on participating in the book club for Red Rising but not sure I will be adding much to the discussion (will add in the way in that section).

Offline ZeroEcho99

• Coreling
« Reply #4697 on: July 03, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
I'm about half way through Traitor's Blade. Definitely a fun book!

Fantastic debut book and loved every minute of it.

Finally got round to reading Prince of Thorns and looks like I'm onto a winner!

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
« Reply #4698 on: July 05, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
Rereading traitors blade. My dedicated copy arrived today

I can't recall if the name 'the kings patience' was mentioned or not.  A reread is required! Plus, gotta break in my beautiful new copy! :) (Darriana Preston is the name of the character I named for the second book. :D )
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Phil Norris

• Bridgeburner
    • Philip Norris - Writer
« Reply #4699 on: July 06, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »
I've put reading The Long Mars on hold as I now have Half A King by Joe Abercrombie after attending a reading/signing session at Waterstones in Yeovil last night.

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

TomTheBeliever

« Reply #4700 on: July 06, 2014, 08:58:29 PM »
Reading Prince of Thorns.  This is great - Jorg is such a little shit. Can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to this.  I blame Malazan!

Micael Deragon

« Reply #4701 on: July 07, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »
UNCHOSEN: Rise of the Secret Wizard Societies

My new favorite book! I really missed having a series as fun as Harry Potter and although this is new Author, I'm completely blown away by the real-world messages and activism woven throughout this book!

Has there ever been a book out there that made fictional characters 'the reason' behind modern corruption in an entertaining way?

This book is INSANE

Offline b4u2bweird

• Tribute
  • My Pile is Higher than my Read
« Reply #4702 on: July 07, 2014, 02:52:54 AM »
finally....close the runaway king and move to ruby red...just because want to watch rubinrot...
Sorry for my english :)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4703 on: July 07, 2014, 02:59:39 AM »
I smell self-promotion. . .

Anyway, currently reading Mark Lawrence's Emperor of Thorns. Not sure if I'm going to like this one as much as I liked the second.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Titus

• Shadow Op
« Reply #4704 on: July 07, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »
I've started reading Turn Coat, Dresden #11.  Been a while since I picked up a Dresden book; I got a little jaded with the series all in all.  Not much has changed during my hiatus though  :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4705 on: July 08, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
I seem to be going through a bad patch :'(
I finished Trinity Rising and I liked it (although I think this was the first time I understood (or accepted) the "middle book syndrome").
Then I picked up another book I'd brought from the library, but after a few pages, I decided I didn't want to read Victorian-type fiction, so put it aside.
Then I picked up K.J. Parker's Shadow, that I also got from the library, but after 80-100 pages I have to put it aside too. My brain is simply not interested, and I don't know why... could be because in these pages I found it a bit similar in trend to American Gods, which I didn't like, or maybe it's just a general affliction of too much work-stress, but I hate not reading, it's like not eating.

So today after work I'm returning these books and going there with my list from your recommendations' thread and see what I can get. Or maybe I'll just go re-read a favourite book and let my brain rest for a bit.
 :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Titus

• Shadow Op
« Reply #4706 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
but after 80-100 pages I have to put it aside too. My brain is simply not interested, and I don't know why...

I have a 100 page rule .. If I can't find any redeeming qualities after this point, then I quit and start on something else.  Luckily hasn't happened too often!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4707 on: July 08, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
Thanks - I now have 4 fab new books at home and later will start Elspeth Cooper's last in the trilogy The raven's shadow.

(and feel better)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #4708 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
I am now (finally) reading Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, anyone who is remotely interested in fantasy fiction should read this it is brilliant, my next 5 books has gone completely out of the window (not literally)

There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #4709 on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:04 AM »
Finished Count of Monte Cristo.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Had a happier ending than I expected... I saw the movie years ago, but for some reason I had it in my head that he'd be going down in a blaze of fiery vengeance. Must not have remembered anything from the movie haha.

Planned to move on to Emperor of Thorns, but it looks like I'll be taking a detour through The Last Train to Instanbul. Not fantasy, but sounds interesting.