January 17, 2021, 03:44:26 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2125634 times)

Offline b4u2bweird

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4680 on: June 30, 2014, 04:45:05 AM »
I'm currently reading The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen Indonesia version....but i feel i ca't handle how the way they translate it....need more effort to finish it
Sorry for my english :)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4681 on: June 30, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
This weekend I finished The Thousand Names by Django Wexler (which I really enjoyed) and A Wizard of Earthsea which I thought was just ok (I think if I had read it years ago I would have a different opinion of it).  I'm now on Red Rising which is going good so far.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4682 on: June 30, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »
A Wizard of Earthsea which I thought was just ok (I think if I had read it years ago I would have a different opinion of it).

I think this is the general consensus amongst those of us that read it later. It's almost as if this is a book that comes with a 'right timing', or that should be read before certain other current fantasy 'biggies' to be fully appreciated.
But Hedin, I still suggest you read the other books in the Earthsea collection: I found them to be much 'better' (as per above disclaimer).

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4683 on: June 30, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
Just finished The Steel Seraglio (great book, I can't imagine why it's not better known). Will start reading Red Rising with the book club this month, while at the same time I'll read Jen Williams' The Copper Promise  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline b4u2bweird

« Reply #4684 on: July 01, 2014, 03:22:28 AM »
A Wizard of Earthsea which I thought was just ok (I think if I had read it years ago I would have a different opinion of it).

I think this is the general consensus amongst those of us that read it later. It's almost as if this is a book that comes with a 'right timing', or that should be read before certain other current fantasy 'biggies' to be fully appreciated.
But Hedin, I still suggest you read the other books in the Earthsea collection: I found them to be much 'better' (as per above disclaimer).

this series is my one of my favourite (other is The Sword in the Stone by T.N. White). i prefer classical stories like this which built in a beautiful words. for some it's kinda boring because it's way too long for telling one thing. but for someone like me, i found it it's so interesting to read them.

currently reading Kane: Survival Guide which i know it's an easy task to do...because i need to free my mind after read Beyonders #3 and still struggling with The Runaway King
Sorry for my english :)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #4685 on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:23 AM »

this series is my one of my favourite (other is The Sword in the Stone by T.N. White). i prefer classical stories like this which built in a beautiful words. for some it's kinda boring because it's way too long for telling one thing. but for someone like me, i found it it's so interesting to read them.

currently reading Kane: Survival Guide which i know it's an easy task to do...because i need to free my mind after read Beyonders #3 and still struggling with The Runaway King

Completely right.  I am just totally perplexed when people dismiss LeGuin as dated and dull.  Makes me cry for the various education states around the world producing people with such odd opinions on writing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:14:46 AM by Gariath »
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #4686 on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:32 AM »
Last night saw me get a start on Sworn in Steel by Douglas Hulick
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4687 on: July 01, 2014, 08:06:16 AM »
Completely right.  I am just totally perplexed when people dismiss LeGuin as dated and dull.  Makes me cry for the various education states around the world producing people with such odd opinions on writing.

I'm not sure about Hedin's reasons for his opinion, but why I wrote what I did has got all to do with the story and nothing to do with the writing.
As I said, I loved books 2-4, but the story of 1 sounded to me like I had already read it several times before - because several of the current/later fantasy authors had inspired themselves in Le Guin and used it as basis for their own stories.
So as I said, I wish 'Wizard' had been one of the first I'd read, but it wasn't, hence the "wrong timing".

Offline Timstar

« Reply #4688 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
Almost finished Demon Lord of Karanda by David Eddings, loving the Malloreon story so far! bigger in scale and scope than the Belgariad.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4689 on: July 01, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »

I'm not sure about Hedin's reasons for his opinion, but why I wrote what I did has got all to do with the story and nothing to do with the writing.
As I said, I loved books 2-4, but the story of 1 sounded to me like I had already read it several times before - because several of the current/later fantasy authors had inspired themselves in Le Guin and used it as basis for their own stories.
So as I said, I wish 'Wizard' had been one of the first I'd read, but it wasn't, hence the "wrong timing".

You pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  I enjoyed her writing style, I just felt like I have read that story several times before so the story itself didn't do a whole lot for me.  I am sure if I had read this 10-15 years ago before I started getting into all of the other novels which she partly inspired I would have a different opinion of it and would probably look back at the series fondly.  I do intend to read the rest of the books (I'm going to work on reading some of the "classics" that I haven't read before) so it's not like I hated it and want nothing to do with the world anymore.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #4690 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »
Halfway through Hive Monkey and loving it, also started The Long Mars by messers Pratchett & Baxter. Giving this series one last shot, after 2 books of people just travelling up and down the Long Earth's I'm hoping someting actually happens this time out. If not then think I'm done with this series.

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4691 on: July 02, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Halfway through Hive Monkey and loving it, also started The Long Mars by messers Pratchett & Baxter. Giving this series one last shot, after 2 books of people just travelling up and down the Long Earth's I'm hoping someting actually happens this time out. If not then think I'm done with this series.
I have the long war in my tbr and am not sure atm if I want to read the long mars at all, so really curious what you're saying after you've read it. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4692 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:58 AM »
also started The Long Mars by messers Pratchett & Baxter. Giving this series one last shot, after 2 books of people just travelling up and down the Long Earth's I'm hoping someting actually happens this time out. If not then think I'm done with this series.
I have the long war in my tbr and am not sure atm if I want to read the long mars at all, so really curious what you're saying after you've read it. :)

I stopped after the first, it just didn't capture me enough to read more.

And xiagan, you were right about Trinity Rising, it's been getting much better :) (I'm almost at the end now - 10+ hours at work/day lately doesn't allow me to read as much as I like, brain simply freezes :/)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4693 on: July 03, 2014, 01:51:55 PM »
I finished Red Rising last night (enjoyed it)  My next book is likely going to be Tower Lord but I'm going to hold off a few days on buying it (I have a work trip next week so I want to save it for the plane). 

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #4694 on: July 03, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »
It has taken me a while but i am now finally reading Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick and have not been disappointed so far. :D
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man