December 01, 2020, 05:26:49 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2105136 times)

Offline shieldfire

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4650 on: June 18, 2014, 05:28:17 AM »
Just finished Anabasis by Xenophon. If you haven't have heard of this writer - you may be excused, it was written more than 2000 years ago and relates the adventures of a Greek mercenary army retreating from a failed coup in Persia somewhere around 400 BC. I'm off to our summer house in a couple of days and can't start a new book here - will finish The Lathe of Heaven which was written, comparatively, a few minutes ago by Ursula K. Le Guin.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:30:16 AM by shieldfire »

« Reply #4651 on: June 18, 2014, 06:06:09 AM »
Rogues. Only one story in, but I liked it. It was the Joe Abercrombie one about a parcel that changes many, many hands. Keen to read Rothfuss, Gaiman, Martin, and all those heavyweights, to name a few.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4652 on: June 18, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
Got halfway through The Blasted Lands. Had to put it down. Worse than the first. You would think, being from Angry Robots, it'd be good. . .

Started Morningside Fall by Jay Posey. Kinda worried. I've heard that it's a completely different book from the first, and not in a good way.

Sadly I haven't managed to finish anything from Angry Robot in nearly a year now. They push out books so quickly I'm not convinced with their editing process at all. Sad as so many of their books have massive potential. I am hoping Kameron Hurley's The Mirror Empire breaks the trend.
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4653 on: June 18, 2014, 07:48:08 PM »
Rereading Feist/Wurts - Mistress of the Empire
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4654 on: June 19, 2014, 01:31:54 AM »
I'm about a quarter of the way through Tower Lord. Enjoying it. Bit different from Blood Song as it has more POVs letting you get varying views/perspecitives on the larger story.

I'm jealous.

I just finished Prince of Fools and I'm a little meh.  I think Lawrence is a really good writer and I'm interested in the world but I just don't give damn about any of the characters.  They are memorable characters (at least Jorg is, Jalan is TBD) and it's not their moral ambiguity that throws me off, I'm fine with my characters being a bit on the dirty side. I just find myself not caring if they succeed or fail in whatever they do.

I have the latest Cornwell book available to read but I keep putting off reading it so I may find something else between now and my flights tomorrow night.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #4655 on: June 19, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »
Rogues! Straight to How the Marquis got his coat back. Then onto the new George RR Martin. Which was confusing as it was set right before his story in Dangerous Women. Feel like I have read book 2 of a saga first then into book 1.  Now reading the Rothfuss story. (Some really clunky similes)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline MurchadsGrandson

« Reply #4656 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »
Currently reading the Omnibus edition of the Clockwork Vampire Chronicles by Andy Remic. On book/part 3. It has it's flaws (the odd mistaken name here & there, occasional wonky dialogue, a major character arc from the first part just sort of peters out in the second & another basically disappears) but by & large it's a very enjoyable read.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #4657 on: June 19, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »
Just started The Lions of Al-Rassan - couldn't keep away from Kay after reading River of Stars :) So far I love it!
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4658 on: June 20, 2014, 06:45:54 AM »
Just started The Lions of Al-Rassan - couldn't keep away from Kay after reading River of Stars :) So far I love it!
check out our book club threads if you want to know what others think about it. Feel free to add your thoughts. :)

Offline Timstar

« Reply #4659 on: June 20, 2014, 07:44:30 AM »
Started The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. The last novel of his I need to read until Half a King comes out :)

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #4660 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »
check out our book club threads if you want to know what others think about it. Feel free to add your thoughts. :)

Ooo will do! I have heard that this one tends to be a favourite with lots of people :
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline Overlord

« Reply #4661 on: June 22, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
Terry Brooks's latest, The High Druid's Blade.

Very much enjoying the fact you don't need to have read Brooks's previous 200 novels to enjoy it ;-)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #4662 on: June 22, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »
I am now reading a song of ice and fire beginning with a game of thrones...its going to be epic
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline CheshireGrin

« Reply #4663 on: June 22, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
I am now reading a song of ice and fire beginning with a game of thrones...its going to be epic

Such a great series. I'm planning on re-reading it before Winds of Winter comes out. Enjoy! :)

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4664 on: June 22, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »
King Rat with the book club. :)