December 01, 2020, 06:03:31 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2105157 times)

Offline CheshireGrin

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4635 on: June 14, 2014, 05:56:09 AM »
Currently reading "Deerskin" by Robin McKinley.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4636 on: June 14, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
Finished Darkwalker. A nice, comfortable mystery w/ supernatural elements. Surprised that I'm not seeing more praise for this book.

Now I really need to finish Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson . . .
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #4637 on: June 14, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »
Am now currently reading Malice by John Gwynne, brilliant so far, not so sure about all the hype surrounding the book though very enjoyable
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline dsc_321

« Reply #4638 on: June 15, 2014, 03:00:11 AM »
I am currently reading Sharpe's Fortress  Bernard Cornwell-  I can't resist the Sharpe's series and they are good breaks after a few larger fantasy novels.  I'm also listening to the audio of Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik--- has anyone else read that wonderful series?

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4639 on: June 15, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
The Steel Seraglio, by Mike Carey  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

bookbandit

« Reply #4640 on: June 15, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »
I am currently reading, The rulers above: Volume 1 The Traitor's fool, by D.B. Winterbottom. A British fantasy about angels, its actually quite good, worth a look for anyone who likes epic fantasy, or that sort of thing. This is where I was told to get it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/rulers-above-Traitors-Fool-ebook/dp/B00JC66UZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1402843987&sr=1-1&keywords=the+rulers+above+volume+1+the+traitors+fool

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4641 on: June 15, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
I'm about a quarter of the way through Tower Lord. Enjoying it. Bit different from Blood Song as it has more POVs letting you get varying views/perspecitives on the larger story.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4642 on: June 15, 2014, 08:40:50 PM »
Finished Unwrapped Sky. Really nice Science-Fantasy debut. Kinda slow, but worth it.

Now I'm starting The Blasted Lands by James A. Moore. Trying to give this author a second chance, but I think this one might be worse than the first.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #4643 on: June 15, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
Finally getting around to reading Lies of Locke Lamora. I bought it because it seems to be a favorite around here, and I want to see what all the fuss is about.  ;)

Offline whelweh89

« Reply #4644 on: June 16, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »
Currently reading Promise of Blood, Powder Mage book #1. I have to say it is awesome so far (only a few chapters in) and will be my first book delving into the flintlock fantasy genre. Check it out if you're looking for something new you won't be disappointed :)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #4645 on: June 16, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
Currently reading Promise of Blood, Powder Mage book #1. I have to say it is awesome so far (only a few chapters in) and will be my first book delving into the flintlock fantasy genre. Check it out if you're looking for something new you won't be disappointed :)

Flintlock fantasy?  A new sub genre!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline whelweh89

« Reply #4646 on: June 16, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »
yes sir i think so! i am about to finish the first book, soooo good! going to dive straight into the crimson campaign after. check it out you won't have to read much before it pulls you in took the entire 1st chapter for me :)

Offline whelweh89

« Reply #4647 on: June 16, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »
from - Stephan Hunter (author) Wikipedia page

His first fantasy novel, For the Crown and the Dragon, was published in 1994, and introduced a young officer, Taliesin, fighting for the Queen of England in a Napoleonic-period alternative reality, where the wars of Europe were being fought with sorcery and steampunk weapons (airships, clockwork machine guns, and steam-driven trucks called kettle-blacks). The book reviewer Andrew Darlington used Hunt's novel to coin the phrase "Flintlock Fantasy" to describe the sub-genre of fantasy set in a Regency or Napoleonic-era period

anyway the book is well written and the story is great; blah blah blah basically awesome battle mages snorting gun powder like it's coke for enhanced power..just a little of the magic system therein lol...need i explain more?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:52:13 PM by whelweh89 »

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #4648 on: June 17, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Promise of Blood = very good (review here REVIEW

Just finished a few books recently; Emperor of Thorns (bloody good), Pheonix Conspiracy (I enjoyed it) and the first Skulduggery Pleasant (bought it for my son and ended up reading it myself!). 

Dresden files next, I think!
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4649 on: June 18, 2014, 01:07:51 AM »
Got halfway through The Blasted Lands. Had to put it down. Worse than the first. You would think, being from Angry Robots, it'd be good. . .

Started Morningside Fall by Jay Posey. Kinda worried. I've heard that it's a completely different book from the first, and not in a good way.