December 08, 2019, 01:17:52 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1830259 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4590 on: May 23, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
Finished Crimson Campaign. Currently reading Irenicon and really enjoying it, kind of surprised I haven't heard more talk about it (but I haven't finished yet, so we'll see how it goes). Just picked up the audiobook of The Three, going to start listening to that soon (really looking forward to it).

I think The Three will be a really challenging book to listen to - it's made up of fragments of diary entries, blog posts, Tweets, interview transcripts, IM chats and loads more besides - no idea how they will manage to get that across smoothly in audio form. Let me know how you get on because it is a stunning book.

Thanks for the heads up, after having issues following Mayhem, it sounds like it could go wrong, but since I already bought it, went ahead and listened to the first hour, and so far it is actually quite easy to follow. They have done a wonderful job with it actually (two narrators, both of which can chance their accents/voices enough that it sounds like more … and the newspaper/press releases have a more sterile sound to them than the others.) If there have been tweets or IM chats, I haven't noticed yet. Even though what I have heard so far has worked, still a little concerned if it will work as well in audiobook. But, nice thing about Audible, if it does stop working for me, I can return it, in which case, I'll definitely get the book because so far I am loving it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #4591 on: May 24, 2014, 04:23:39 AM »
I'm still reading Ancillary Justice, which I'm thoroughly enjoying still - I'm reading it in bed at night, so it's not being read as quickly as it could have been.

Also reading Wonderland by Mark Chadbourn, a Dr Who novella.

And I've just finished Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4592 on: May 24, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »
Finished The Name of the Wind. Eh. That's going to be a quick review.

Back to Half a King by Joe Abercrombie.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Wade Garret

« Reply #4593 on: May 25, 2014, 01:17:41 AM »
King of Thorns; Tomorrow, The Killing; The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi; The Count of Monte Cristo and a handful of comic titles. :)

Offline simonster

« Reply #4594 on: May 25, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
Not fantasy or sci-fi, but geeky enough (and good enough) to deserve a mention here: Breathing Machine by Leigh Alexander.

Offline MurchadsGrandson

« Reply #4595 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »
Finally got around to reading The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan. Starts a little slow, but it's growing on me.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4596 on: May 27, 2014, 02:58:30 AM »
Finished Half a King. Oh boy. That was amazing. Hell, amazing is an understatement.

Now I'm sliding into a self-pubbed work, A Thirst for Vengeance by Edward M. Knight. I have yet to figure out why self-pubbed authors love to use their middle initials. Anyway, it reminds me a lot of The Name of the Wind, but darker.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #4597 on: May 27, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
Finished with that disasterpiece The Red Knight the other evening and now launching into Words of Radiance... it's been sitting on the shelf (a rare hard copy purchase) just waiting for this time when I need a fantasy re invigoration. 
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4598 on: May 27, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
I finished The Daylight War (ugh) this weekend and finally just started Blood and Bone by Esslemont, feels good to be back in the Malazan world.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: May 27, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
I finished The Daylight War (ugh) this weekend and finally just started Blood and Bone by Esslemont, feels good to be back in the Malazan world.

Ent tell  me you didn't love Renna the Bumpkin demon slayer  ;)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4600 on: May 27, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »

Ent tell  me you didn't love Renna the Bumpkin demon slayer  ;)

You mean the wannabe Vin?  Arlen's voice totally changed in this book, Inevera is not interesting to me, and I can't stand books that end in cliffhangers.

Offline Ashes

« Reply #4601 on: May 27, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
Just put aside Sworn in Steel, I reckon I'm going to have to reread Among Thieves before I start it again. But The Crimson Campaign just arrived in the post and that is seriously blowing my mind.
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #4602 on: May 29, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
The Magicians Guild Book 1- Trudi Canavan
Fan of Classic/Epic Fantasy and Grimdark

Working on writing a book. Any advice will be taken graciously.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #4603 on: May 29, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
Bit behind on my postings on here, so in no particular order covering the last few months.

In no particular order...

The Cormorant by Chuck Wendig
Road To Ruen by Ben Hatch (not fantasy but a bloody funny read, give it a go)
Unfettered by various
Dead Things by Stephen Blackmore
The Merchant Of Dreams by Anne Lyle
Murder by Sarah Pinborough
The Silver Skull by Mark Chadbourn
Hexed by Kevin Hearne

Currently reading London Falling by Paul Cornell
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: May 29, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »
I'm back from vacations. :) I read Ancillary Justice, the Hunger Games trilogy, Reaper's Gale and started Toll the Hounds. Expect some posts in the book club threads soon. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)