December 09, 2019, 12:28:04 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1833388 times)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4545 on: April 29, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »

Malazan is HUGELY popular, one of the top 5 Fantasy series I would say... :)

You think so? I know its readers are very vocal on some forums but if you look at the sales figures on the Wertzone and the ratings numbers on Goodreads I would think it closer #50 than #5. Which still makes it a huge and successful body of work ... but top 5 seems a considerable over-estimate.

The Wertzone has him as #156 on the (non-comprehensive) list of best selling SFF authors, ordered by sales.

Ive heard such mixed reviews that I cant bring myself to try it. My TBR cant handle another long series that id likely force myself through even if I didnt like it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

We having a lot of fun on the read along on the malazan series  :) come and join us you know you want too  ;D

Currently reading The Fell Sword , by Miles Cameron
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Ben

« Reply #4546 on: May 03, 2014, 03:25:57 AM »
I am working on Broken Blade by Kelly McCullough. Next up will be either The Binding Knife by Brett Weeks or The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:54:54 AM by Ben »

Offline moonspawn

« Reply #4547 on: May 03, 2014, 04:39:23 AM »

Malazan is HUGELY popular, one of the top 5 Fantasy series I would say... :)

You think so? I know its readers are very vocal on some forums but if you look at the sales figures on the Wertzone and the ratings numbers on Goodreads I would think it closer #50 than #5. Which still makes it a huge and successful body of work ... but top 5 seems a considerable over-estimate.

The Wertzone has him as #156 on the (non-comprehensive) list of best selling SFF authors, ordered by sales.

Ive heard such mixed reviews that I cant bring myself to try it. My TBR cant handle another long series that id likely force myself through even if I didnt like it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Right now I'm reading The Black Company and I can clearly see that Erikson drew a lot of stylistic influences from Cook. When people say that Gardens of the Moon is similar to The Black Company, I now finally understand what they mean. If you like Cook's gritty style and dialogue focused narration then there's a decent chance you'll like Erikson. From what I've read so far I think that those who are Malazan fans and haven't read Cook would probably like him too.  So yeah I wouldn't back out just because of mixed reviews. You could try samples to see if his style is for you.... but sometimes samples can be very unhelpful, especially in books with a lot of point of view changes like Malazan. In fact mixed reviews entice me when it comes to well written books because I want to see what all the controversy is about. Plus that way I know if I can give people a pat on the back for agreeing with me or subject them to severe derision for disagreeing.  ;)

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #4548 on: May 03, 2014, 04:18:25 PM »
I just started reading Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler.  So far, I am intrigued by both Doro and Anyanwu's powers.  There is a bit of head hopping going on and sometimes I'm not entirely sure which character's perspective I should be in, but it’s very minor and hasn't bothered me much.  So far, I'm happy!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:20 PM »
Started Erikson's Reaper's Gale.
"This is a brutal, harrowing novel of war, intrigue, and dark, uncontrollable magic; this is epic fantasy at its most imaginative, storytelling at its most thrilling."
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4550 on: May 04, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »
I'm now on "Songs of the Earth", by Elspeth Cooper.
Still very much in the beginning, but showing lots of promise :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4551 on: May 04, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Been away from reading for about two months. Starting off this time with Half A King by Joe Abercrombie (my first of his in fact). I'm blown away. This is really, really good.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4552 on: May 04, 2014, 07:59:15 PM »
I've been in a bit of a slump still. I'm still listening to Mayhem for the book club this month. I have started The Oversight by Charlie Fetcher. I have also read a bit of Irenicon by Aidan Harte. And a bit of Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. And a bit of at least one other book. I just can't seem to settle into just one. Irenicon seems very promising though.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: May 04, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »
I've been in a bit of a slump still. I'm still listening to Mayhem for the book club this month. I have started The Oversight by Charlie Fetcher. I have also read a bit of Irenicon by Aidan Harte. And a bit of Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. And a bit of at least one other book. I just can't seem to settle into just one. Irenicon seems very promising though.

Itenicon is supposed to be very good.  Why not try a novel by this George RR Martin fellow? Hunter's Run?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4554 on: May 04, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

Itenicon is supposed to be very good.
What I've seen so far, I have high hopes for it.

Why not try a novel by this George RR Martin fellow? Hunter's Run?
Mainly because I am trying to stick to the mountain of books I already own :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Rion88

« Reply #4555 on: May 05, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Reading the twilight reign by Tom Lloyd, currently on the second book; "twilight herald". Gotta say, it feels kinda like reading the wheel of time, less awesome but awesome enough to keep me interested and satisfied.
;)

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: May 05, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »

Itenicon is supposed to be very good.
What I've seen so far, I have high hopes for it.

Why not try a novel by this George RR Martin fellow? Hunter's Run?
Mainly because I am trying to stick to the mountain of books I already own :)

I really like Irenicon.  I've read both that that and that and the that and the warring states and have the third book ready to start soon. :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #4557 on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Started Erikson's Reaper's Gale.
"This is a brutal, harrowing novel of war, intrigue, and dark, uncontrollable magic; this is epic fantasy at its most imaginative, storytelling at its most thrilling."

That's a good one! It's the book that made me a fan of Silchas Ruin.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4558 on: May 07, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
I started reading Mirror Sight by Kristen Britain. About 25% the way through, enjoying it.
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #4559 on: May 09, 2014, 02:23:34 AM »
Working through the second of the long price quartet series at the moment and also just began reading The Red Knight a couple of nights ago.
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly